Mike Tannenbaum is happy?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ny2dave, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

"I'm happy where the program is." As quoted in Bob Glauber's column in Newsday today. WTF?! For the love of God, what planet is this guy on? Our run defense is epically BAD. Is there anyone who didn't know that the game was over when we had to punt in OT? And we scored 13, count 'em 13, points at home against a defense (Washington) that got SPANKED by the Pats the week before. Granted we're not in the same solar system as the Pats, but 13 points. We SUCK! Get a clue Mike.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Well David Bowens has really made an impact. Not to mention Thomas earning that extension.

He has done an outstanding job......NOT

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I think a lot of the blame should be on Bob Sutton. I don't think he's putting players in the right places to make plays.

4. ShadeTree#55

There is enough blame to be spread around. Lets not forget Bradway too.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i am personally blaming herm edwards......

jil

6. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I can't believe it took a week for this quote to find its way on here. He said this before last game.

Hands down, you don't want to hear this from the GM of a 1-8 team.

And, I don't necessarily agree with him based on the defense regressing along. However, as GM he is responsible for the long-term view of "the program," not necessarily the short-term success of the team.

#6 BlairThomas#1, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  7. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Hopefully, this is what he means. Our plan is to bring a superbowl winning team to the Jets fans. No one expected us to win the superbowl this year so and we need much better players in key positions to do that. This year we are getting to see some of our younger players to see what they can do and we are in great position (so far) in the draft order to get an impact player or utilize this position coupled with possible trades to garner multiple first day players. Once we have a better nucleus of young talent we can complement it with the appropriate free agents and can think about hoisting the Lombardi trophy and showing it off at the WSS, I mean Meadowlands.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tannenbaum needs to understand, and very quickly, that what is happening right now is not excusable as part of a rebuilding process. He needs to understand that he presided over some serious misjudgements over the last offseason and that those errors in judgement are why the Jets are as bad as they are at the moment.

This team had 7-9 written all over it going into the offseason. The schedule was tougher, the draft picks were not going to be juicy due to the 10 wins the over-achieving Jets got last season, and there was likely to be a bit of a letdown as things like a normal injury rate and the continued replacement of old regime players with relative unknowns accelerated in year two.

Then something just staggering happened. The Jets management team acted like they were on the verge of competing at the highest levels. They traded for a 28 year old runningback who had put together a few solid years behind one of the NFL's best offensive lines. They traded two high draft picks to get a blue-chip defensive back who was the most likely player to come in and perform at a high level immediately. They traded two more draft picks to get an inside linebacker who could compete with and potentially replace either of the ILB's who had disappointed last year in the 3-4.

All of these moves were made despite a context in which they were likely to fail. The Jets real needs coming out of last season were not a mainstay tailback, a shutdown corner and an inside linebacker. Their real needs were bigger and better offensive and defensive linemen and a pass-rushing linebacker for the 3-4.

Not happy with what Barlow, Washington and Houston produced last year? Then go out and get some hogs to open holes for them. Derrick Ward, a player on the Jets practice squad last season is having a breakout season with the Giants. Why? Because he has hogs opening holes for him.

Not happy with the run defense after their terrible showing last year? Then go out and get somebody who could play nose tackle and start building an effective 3-4. David Harris is a good player but he's not ever going to be THE key to the Jets run defense. Spending two picks on him instead of trying to get that nose tackle and a defensive end was just self-defeating. The Jets run defense stank for several seasons after Mo Lewis and then Marvin Jones were added to it. They were both in their early primes during the heart of the Kotite pits.

Not happy with how exposed the defensive backs were last season? Then build a g'damn pass rush. Go out and get one of the guys who might be a 3-4 ROLB, somebody like Anthony Spencer or Jarvis Moss or Lawrence Timmons and make your 3-4 a better 3-4. Defensive backs are the last piece of the puzzle on defense just like tailbacks are the last piece on the offensive side.

The Jets basically had the worst possible offseason they could have had in terms of judgement, talent acquisition and positioning for 2007 and the future.

If they collapse (and they're looking pretty collapsible at this point) then the Tangini regime has to go. Otherwise we're just going to be looking at another season of crap before they are ousted.

The NFL is not rocket science. How the Jets keep winding up with management teams that can't put it all together is beyond me.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Simple. We have a cheap shit owner who won't pay for players or management. An owner who could care less whether or not this team ever wins a game as long as all the tickets are sold and that assured for the next 50 years.

10. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

You have a lot of "go out and get somebodys"....who? what o-linemen? pay-up for Dockery? draft the kid from Texas who has struggled with the Falcons?

What NT?

Who would be playing CB if not for Revis? You want to line-up Poteat and Dyson?

11. ShadeTree#55

^Looking very true.

His "goal" of bringing the Jets back to NY, seems as likely to happen as his goal of winning a SB.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Does it matter when you can't stop the run who is playing CB or even if you have a CB. They could take a nap and it wouldn't make any difference.

13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

i have been saying these management things for so long, it makes me sick to think about. initially i was blinded with envy for the jets becoming an organization like the patriots. now reality has sunken in and we have bought a pig in a poke. as fans we got the ----y end of the deal! i'm still a true fan though. adam sandler knows what its like to be a jets fan when he refers to the jets as the go-d--n jets!!!

14. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

You need someone to tackle downfield. :grin: (Ironically, I think Revis is still the Jets leading tackler.)

Seriously, Sutton said last year that he was dropping LBs into coverage frequently to make up for the weakness in the secondary. So, I am guessing there thinking was that if they sure up the coverage they would be able to focus the front seven more at the line of scrimmage, whether run defense or pass rush.

I don't want to start the 3-4/4-3 debate for the 1,235th time, but there really wasn't a run-stuffing NT or great 3-4 DE available (except for maybe Carricker, but draft picks are a crap shoot). They knew they weren't cutting Robertson and believed he could excel in his 2nd year in at the nose.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

ANY of the guards that would have been available on the 26 or Joe Staley at RT.

Pay up for Dockery? Damn straight, he's a very good guard in his prime. Sometimes you just have to pay to get what you need.

Who would be playing cornerback if not Revis? Barrett + a pass rush > Revis without one. Drew Coleman, Hank Poteat, somebody the Jets got lucky with on a mid round pick? Repeat after me: shutdown corners are a luxury until everything else is in place to make it matter. The Jet's defense sucked goat balls with Aaron Glenn back there until Parcells figured out how to apply consistent pressure on the QB.

Trading up twice for non-core players when the Jets had the problems they did was the NFL equivalent of hiding under a pile of coats in the corner and hoping the problems would just magically go away.

16. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Sutton,

He certainly isn't into "dynamic" play calling is he?

17. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I'd be happier.............

if he had said somethinh like that. At least it makes some sense!

18. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I think..........

you've got it scoped. I agree 100%

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I follow what you're saying here.

By ignoring the OL (except for Bender, who they have jerked around from RT to LG to RT) and and the DL except for Kenyon (who they overpaid, not that I care what they do with Woody's money, since they are still grossly under the cap) they ignored the trenches, which were in dire need of improvement.

Now they have put that much more pressure on themselves to improve the OL and DL this off-season. And if McFadden falls into their lap, since they had such an awful season, that means they wont be using a high draft pick on the Ol or DL.

If they dont even attempt to plug the huge holes on the lines this off-season, they will show that their plan is deeply flawed, and they arent too smart.

They got two players from last year's draft who are making an impact. They will need more than two next year.

20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Let' follow that logic through. The Jets now have a line of D'Brick, Dockery, Mangold, Moore and Staley. Still no NT, no high quality CB, no MLB.

I guarantee you that Moore holds out for more money b/c of the Dockery signing. Also with Dockery getting big money, you can't really go out and sign a NT, not that there was any available unless you wanted to go the RFA route with Terdell Sands. Kendall is cut, no 4th round pick as everyone knows he is expendable. Also, you add another rookie to the line who is playing a new position.

So, the Staley/Dockery pick-ups make the O-line better (assuming Moore get the $$$ he wants) at the determinent of the defense and you probably have about a 1/3 of the salary cap tied up in an o-line that will all come up for FA within 2 years of each other.

On the defensive side of the ball you have the exact same team the Jets trotted out last year plus Kenyon Coleman. Dyson and Barrett at the CB, Vilma/Barton in the middle and BT and Hobson on the outside and a line with Ellis, Robertson and Coleman.

I guess you subscribe to the philosophy that a good offense makes a good defense.