11/4/07 Jets vs. Redskins Postgame Positives!!!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Lord, Nov 4, 2007.

1. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

I definitely agree...last season it seemed like Mangini and Schottenheimer were playing with nothing to lose, going for it on 4th and 1 at the opposing 40, etc, taking shots down the field, direct snaps to the running backs, gadget plays, etc.

This year, it's all but completely disappeared. We never go for it. We're completely unagressive. The playcalling is uninspired and completely bland. Schotty's gotta go.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'm thinking Clemens is the next Fran Tarkenton. Hehe. Well, I said that about Bollinger, but of course I was joking.

Clemens didn't flinch, held on to the ball, scrambled, made something out of nothing on a handful of plays. Nothing to be down about - other than that our record currently bites monkey balls.

3. jetophile

So I guess what you're saying is that if he had taken the Dolphins HC job, the Jets would be 0-9. Snort.

4. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Sorry, my brain is too small to comprehend whatever point you're trying to get across here.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I didn't understand it, either.

6. jetophile

I thought the Lord was omnipotent. What a fraud you turned out to be. :smile:

It ain't all that hard to comprehend. All I'm saying is that last year everyone was paranoid he'd land a HC position, and he interviewed in Miami. Now there's those who want to sell raffle tickets to get rid of him. So the joke was that he would have beat us if he had taken the job because his playcalling...forget it. Aye, God, must I explain everything.

7. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

OH.....

Sorry, I thought that you meant that having Schotty makes us even worse because he interviewed for a head coach position...now I get your twisted sense of humor.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i am not going to quote anyone here but geez - some of you folks are as sensitive as a 16 year old with braces....

all i did was compare KC's pocket presence to marino and the ability to move in and out.

nowhere did i say anything about the arm

if you are going to criticize get it straight, otherwise stuff it

jil

9. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

I know it's a bit early, and some might haze me for this one. But..

Year 3 our young O-line should be better and more hungry than ever. We have what looks to be a good young quarterback, who can stretch the field (if they let him that is), and has some good pocket presence. That being said..

If you look at the rest of the schedule, we will be lucky to get another 2 wins (Miami, and KC maybe). This will leave us 3-13 at BEST, and will put us in the top 5 picks for the draft. I know Chris Long would be awesome to get for a DE, but wouldn't Darren Mcfadden look good in the backfield? Before you reply that we locked up Jones for a few years, Minnesota did the same thing with Chester Taylor and took a chance on Peterson (which will be the top rusher in the league this year). And, it gives him a year to work behind a proven runner. With the addition of McFadden, he can also be lined up at wideout with his 4.3 speed and great hands (he does have hands, he just doesn't get many receptions - not to mention he is 6'2). If we lined up McFadden, Washington, Coles, and Cotchery, we would have the speed to spread the field out.

Just some food for thought, but in this dismal season it's something I can look forward too. Any thoughts?

10. RedskinsFan01

RedskinsFan01 New Member

Clemens surprised me, you guys have a good quarterback of the future.

11. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

In a game against a really good defense, KC played very well against the Skins w/o our best receiver in Coles....no major mistakes and he tied the game up at the end of regulation...

lets not forget the easy pass that Washington dropped that could have been taken 60+ yards for the TD

12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That one, or Smiths Back to back ers. Or Cotch's for a first. Lots of Drops today.

Lots of the QB and Receiver not being on the same page as well.

A lot of kinks to work out for sure, but the poise and escape ability( a huge plus with our Oline) he showed bring hope for the future.

13. Tight

Tight Active Member

there used to catching baloons... its going to take some time to adjust

14. jetophile

But this is 'rocky' from 'yourock'. I won't allow hazing of any sort. How's it going? :)

15. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

Does this mean Chad isn't like, Joe Montana? :lol:

16. Those flag girls are def. a positive..dang...they put the cowboy cheerleaders to shame!

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Clemens looked solid, our pass defense looked improved a little, and Leon continues to excel in the return game.

18. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

The most impressive part of today's game was Clemens 3rd down laser to Leon Washington who had come in motion and ran a little up and out. That is the kind of pass the the split-second longer it takes Chad's throws to get to receivers would have meant the pass being knocked down by the defender.

I also like Clemens mobility and the fact that he did not have an INT in 39 tosses...not that he didn't come close.

19. m123456

m123456 New Member

I'll say something positive.

at least they got to OT, didn't throw a 4rth q interception to end the game! You know what now that I think about it we probably could've won if receivers were used to catching balls moving faster than the matrix.

btw, defense is worst ever, jones can't run...kellen clemens? looked good. least he tried. btw, what kind of a name is that? chad pennington? what's with our QB names?

why was I born to young to see broadway joe? (did get to see him hit on that female sportcaster during the game when he was drunk on the sideline) there hasn't really been a GOOD fun exciting season or QB since then.

...Mark Gastineau.

#39 m123456, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Observations:

1- KC had decent poise and pocket presence, plus several very nice scrambles and slides to the left. All around, he does more on his feet then CP.

2- KC did NOT have the option to change the play at the line. It took Chad 4 years to be granted this. KC ran the play as called, which abviously affected the outcome at times.

3- we ran a LOT of our "Chad based dink and dunk play book". Not a lot of down field throws. These need to be added to the playbook and practiced. Even with the short trows, KC had more zip on the ball.

4- Jericho and Washington dropped critical passes that could easily have changed the game, especially Washington's drop along the sidelines that was an easy 7 points.

5- Baker ran two bad routes in a row that lead to a late game punt.

6- KC tends to throw high. hmmmm.

7- KC had a few "lightening releases" for completions when the pocket collapsed and it looked like a sure sack.

8- KC took a few hard hits but bounced back up. Nice.

9- Lookig ahead: With more first string practice for KC, more down field pass plays added to the play book, and Coles back into the game, the O WILL be better than we had with Penny. We lost the game, But I can see how we will be better off with KC.

10- On Defense: Our D was on the field a LOT, with a lot of long drives. No doubt our D was gassed, so not too worried about Washington's running yards in the 3rd/4th qtr.

11- I would LOVED to have seen the same aggressive blitz calls that we all enjoyed against the Bills. It just didn't seem like we had any DB or Safety blitzes. Yes, we had 3 or 4 LB stunts that worked, but nothing off the edges. I was hoping for another high energy, "kill the QB" type of game but we seemed to be playing a conservative cover 2 (I know we wern't).

12- Good pass coverage.....Moss was "almost" a non factor. Plus no stupid PI flags against us the rookie. Dyson actually made some nice tackles!!!!!

13- Nugent missed a 54 yarder that would have won the game for us.

Summary: Yeah, we lost the game, but I saw enough to get excited about the Jets again.

And, the most important thing, between our D blitz against the Bills and our new O this week, I saw enough to at least "dream" about giving the Pats all they can handle later in the season. I didn't have that before today.

Go Jets!