Cowher: Brady could be target of cheap shot

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by RSherryJr, Nov 1, 2007.

1. RSherryJr

RSherryJr New Member

Cowher: Brady could be target of cheap shot
    Wednesday, Oct 31, 2007 4:13 pm EDT

As the New England Patriots pour it on opponents, fans have to be wondering about it and Tuesday former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher said it: If the Patriots keep running up the score, will someone like Tom Brady will be the victim of a retaliatory hit?

The subject of the Pats' late-game tactics is causing a lot of buzz around the NFL, particularly after Sunday's 52-7 victory over the Washington Redskins. On a CBS conference call with reporters Tuesday. Cowher noted the Patriots could be playing a dangerous game.

"At some point if this continues, someone's going to take a cheap shot,'' Cowher said. "Is that worth subjecting your players to if it comes to that?''

Source: Boston Herald

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Cowher-Brady-could-be-target-of-cheap-shot?urn=nfl,51840

2. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Good, should of happened a long time ago.

3. RSherryJr

RSherryJr New Member

I agree, if you run up the score this is what you expose yourself to in any sport.

4. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Well – with insight like that; now I really do hope he's our next coach. Sure shows he’s not scared to go out on a limb.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

A cheap shot won't come from the Jets players- they're all "CHARACTER" guys.

6. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

After watching that game, I turned to hubby and said the exact same thing as Cowher did. Beli is putting his starting players at risk by running up the score. Sooner or later, there is going to be a hit on Brady or Moss or someone else of value to the team.

The bastard gave me one of these. :rolleyes: Now Cowher says it and it words of wisdom.

7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Wouldnt be suprised if someone shanks brady on the field!!!

8. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I totally know how this plays out. Brady keeps ringing up the score, smashes Peyton's record and throws for 63 touchdowns in one season. Deep into the fourth quarter of the Giants game, Brady drops back, looks for Randy Moss, cocks the arm, then gets shot three times in the chest by Michael Strahan, who snuck a glock into the game under his pads ala "The Last Boyscout." The crowd goes wild. Strahan is carried off the field a hero despite a crushing 65-3 defeat. Belichick looks at the crumpled corpse of Tom Brady in disgust: "92 Gat?! 92 Gat?! Jesus Christ Tom, how many times did we cover 92 Gat?!" The Patriots are eliminated in the second round of the playoffs. By the Jets. Somehow.

9. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

One can only hope that Belli get's his QB nearly killed...

10. Gunther

Gunther Member

Won't happen when you got five to 10 seconds to pass and trust me any player that thinks about going after Brady will be screwed. Stars are the league and he is shining real bright right about now. Players and coaches are just gonna have to play better. Stop expecting someone to look out for your interest. Pats should stomp everyone so at least those teams know where they stand. Don't be mad because they are good and will let you know it.

11. FatStupidLoser

Whoever does it should be thrown out of the league.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm going to disagree with the sentiment, although I'm sure it's quite possible it could happen.

Why should Brady be a victim of a cheap shot?

1) He's the QB. He plays when he's told to. He does his job. Why is he to blame? Everyone knows it's Belichick who is keeping him on the field. Do people expect Brady to say "Hey, coach, how about I sit out the fourth quarter?" Come on.

2) Screw that. This "sportsmanship" bullshit is ridiculous. If you suck enough to get blown away, you suck. EOS. I don't see why a team should stop playing in the third quarter, just because they've vastly overmatched their opponent.

3) For a board full of people crying about people cheering Chad getting hurt, there's sure a lot of people salivating at the opportunity to see our biggest rival get carried off the field.

Personally, I think Brady should continue doing what he's doing. Plain and simple, that offense is showing the entire world that all the videotape in the world doesn't matter when you have far more talent than anyone you can possibly face.

13. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

I disagree...

Brady isn't some nobody rookie...

He has enough collateral in the bank where he can say, "Hey coach. Enough. I
    don't feel like having a bullseye on my back. I think you made your point. You may not care about your image. I do. Please don't drag us into your personal vendetta."

He could speak up... he choses not to

14. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

He is the only athlete I wish a career ending injury on

15. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Some people get it.

If someone offers to fight you with one hand behind their back, are they "respecting" you? Hell, no! This is condescending.

My grandfather taught me 3 things about gamesmanship I live by;

1. never surrender

2. Never relent

3. Ask no quarter from your opponent. If he is not using every weapon he has to beat you, he doesn't respect you.

16. rillo

rillo New Member

As much as I hate Brady and the organization....Thats a pretty fucked up statement IMO.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Hoping that anyone gets hurt is just sad. Regardless of whether they have it coming or not. It isn't like Brady is asking to get hit. He's just doing his job. He just happens to be a QB for a dirt-bag coach. I'd rather see them humiliated with all their studs on the field. Their day will come. All dynasties fall eventually.

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I'd allow a player to get suspended if it paid off. Plus, they cheated, so other might as well too.

Tom brady is no Brett Favre anyways

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

ITA.

Force the others to fix what they are doing wrong....

After all, the game is 11 on 11, and they have 6 trapped in the backfield.

IF you cant find away to stop it, then emulate it.

Otherwise you arent doing YOUR job.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

To hell with cheap shots, Belichik is stupid to have Brady on the field at all when The Pats are up by 3 scores in the 4th quarter. Regular injuries happen also.