Coles Hit- Doesn't remember much...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Yes, it happens occassionally with everyone.... Every WR is going to take a big hit every 3 or 4 games....

However, our WRs, Coles especially, because he ALWAYS puts an effort into pulling in Chad's floaters, take WAY too much abuse because of Chad...

Usually, a defender has to time it perfectly and be in great position to lay a WR out... And it happens, but not all that frequently...

With Chad, a defender simply has to give a decent cushion and break on Chad's release to lay a big hit....

Also, mot QBs only end up hanging their WRs out to dry on passes over the middle, and the WR has a lot of momentum in one direction and are led right into a defender, or has to sstop/slow down to catch a ball in traffic... Very rarely do you see a WR on any other team get the snot knocked out of him on an out or a comeback route...

Obviously there are countless examples with Coles and Cotchery on those outs and comeback routes, but there is one play in particular that I think we can all recall which was the epitmoe of one of Chad's floaters leading to a receiver getting leveled.

That play was the Chris Baker, controversial TD-non-catch against Cleveland last year...

I chose this play for three reasons...

#1) It was a typical Chad BALLOON pass on a corner route.

#2) When Chad released the ball, there was not a defender within 10 yards of Baker

#3) Baker is a big guy, and he got hit by a DB.. But the time the DB had to break on the ball allowed him to get a full head of steam and absolutely LEVEL Baker... A TE does NOT get knocked that far by a DB who has a regular period of time to break on a pass... EVER

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed. As soon as I saw Coles go down I said "I think he's dead". He got hit hard, and wasn't moving. Thankfully, when CBS came back to the game from a commercial, Coles was moving and walking on his own.

It was the dangerous throws that Pennington threw that was bound to get his receivers hurt. It was bound to happen, and Coles was the victim.

3. stlrzrule

stlrzrule New Member

Being from Pittsburgh I couldnt watch the game so I was hoping for some insight on what happend vs. the bills particularly with Lav Coles. 1 reception? Was he not started until late in the game on account of his ankle or did he play the whole game? Hopefully he'll be fine after that hit he took, man Chad really floated that one and left him out to dry! Anyone know if Coles will play next week and what do you guys feel about his play with Clemmons as QB. I dont know much about Clemmons. Thanks

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

He played the whole game or at least up until his 1 catch. Pennington only threw the ball to him once or twice all game long before his catch. On the catch itself Pennington was scrambling to the right out of the pocket and threw it high to Coles on the right sideline. Coles like the stud he is jumped high to catch it in time to get leveled from behind by Terance McGee

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Honestly I almost wonder if that throw was ahy Mangini swapped out CP, Chad almost got our best offensive weapon and a true Jet killed out there, and not more than an offensive series later Kellen Clemens was in there...

6. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Well, I'll be sure to remember this post for when Clemens does it. Hell, if he didn't overthrow Smith on his INT, Smith would have had to go up high for it too. But I guess it won't matter because he's not Chad.

7. Vin

Vin Banned

It's funny that Vinny now has a better chance at continuing to be the starting QB for Carolina than Chad for the Jets. :rofl2:

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Not funny. Incredibly depressing.

9. stlrzrule

stlrzrule New Member

Hope Lav will be fine and Clemens can get the ball to him without getting him killed, I really enjoy watching L.C play. In the mean time go Steelers!!!

10. Beamen

Beamen New Member

It was overthrown.... It wasn't underthrown... He wouldn't have had to stop, and he wouldn't have been an easy target, as the DB would have had to continue running to keep up....

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Amen.....it's insane.

12. GreenScreen313

GreenScreen313 New Member

I agree. I think this was a big big reason for it. It wasn't just that Coles got the wind knocked out of him, or he bumped knee-to-knee like a couple of weeks ago. Dude was knocked out cold. I thought the same thing you did and I think the answer is yes, it was a big part of the decision.

13. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I don't know, it seemed like a hook route to me after watching the replay.

14. rich729

rich729 New Member

i think coles got injured most by his head hitting the ground--maybe a concussion--i hope he's ok by sunday. dont need laveraneus ending up like toon.

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

My money is on concussion, especially after hearing him say that he didn't remember much...

From what I recall, didn't he suffer from at least one concussion last year as well?

16. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Yes. Absolutely he suffered a concussion, and has suffered a few concussions since returning to the Jets in '05. I started a thread on Monday suggesting that Coles may not be playing football for much longer. You can already begin to see signs that Coles is more and more concussion-prone ala Wayne Chrebet a few years ago. I hope Coles' career doesn't end in similar fashion, but I believe it is a real possibility.

#36 yanks9596, Oct 31, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007