Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Do you not realize that you can edit posts? There's no need to post again and again without anyone else's posts in between, or is this your way of trying to bump your own threads?

2. Ryan

Ryan Banned

I hate you.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

It isn't very good is it.
    Cotchrocket ask a MOD to change the title of this. I know what you mean but the title is misleading

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Dumb post of the day award goes to the pre-teen...

5. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Abraham was in his contract year and they had to franchise him. The organization just drafted in the first round a couple years before Mangini got here. Same reason why D-Rob is here. They have money tied up in their contracts and didn't have an immediate replacement. There is a reason they traded up to get Harris. I don't think Vilma was ever in their long term plans (just my opinion) but they had to try to make him work in the system because a lot of money was tied up in his contract.

6. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

Is it me or do most of Vilmas tackles come after the back has already gained yardage? Very rarely do you see him stuff someone for no gain or a loss. I know some of that come from the defense schemes but I remember the same same thing even when we played 4-3.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

You hate to see any guy injured but Vilma just wan't stepping up his game to compensate for other parts of the D, namely, DT being undersized and undertalented.

Harris, however, has shown the ability to adapt and make the plays that Vilma couldn't in limited playing time. I for one am anxious to see just how much he can contribute to this team.

I don't see us carrying Vilma beyond the upcoming offseason, as he does have a fairly high trade value and I can see that the FO may be losing patience with him as a player for their scheme.

8. baamf

baamf Active Member

A while back (after Vilma led the league in tackles or whatever), I went through every game stat and recorded where these tackles were taking place. I posted here that a majority of his tackles were taking place after a 5 yard gain or so, basically it was his speed helping him clean a lot of stuff up. I tried to go back and find it but couldn't go back that far so you have to take my word for it if you so desire. My point of the thread at that time was that although he was a very good player in the 4-3, he wasn't this super star that many were making him out to be at the time. JMHO....

9. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Unfortunately your looking at a third rounder at best for J Vilma now. Jet fans have to accept the fact that 4-3 teams are not going to offer more, because they know how good he is in that defense. That was a longtime ago in football terms. Another fact is Jets have played alot more 4-3 defense recently, and J Vilma still hasn't shown up. Further proving that notion, you put J Vilma in 4-3, and hes suddenly a probowl player again. Pure nonsense.
    Like with L jordan, you have to be willing to trade a player when you can maximum value. You wait too long and you might be getting alot less back in return.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I think Rhodes and Cotchery should be added to this list as players that will be a part of the rebuilding.

11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Smoke crack much?

12. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

GReat comeback. You really showed your football knowledge or lackof.

13. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Jeaux on this one. All we hear anymore was how awesome Vilma was in the 4-3, but the fact of the matter was that he was quite adept at making sideline-to-sideline tackles 5 yards deep (usually on his back) but was never the type of game changer that teams will give up a first rounder for.

If I had to put value to him I'd say high 3rd to mid 2nd.

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Giants would take him for their number one. He will go there and become a superstar with that pass rush ahead of him.

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

It was actually on par with your piss-poor analysis, so we're equal. What you fail to realize is that Vilma IS worth a first round pick to the right team. He fits quite nicely in the 4-3 and demonstrated his worth when he was in the right system. A team badly in need of one of the final pieces of the puzzle for them to make a "push" deep into the playoffs will surely poney up.

If not a first, then a very early 2nd rounder, which would still be worth it considering that we are close to a contract year, and that he will demand a hefty sum of money, one which we will be unwilling to pay to someone who doesn't fit well in our 3-4.

Listen, I know your M.O.- Raiders Raiders Raiders- this is our year, we're playing great, everyone else is inferior and we have a huge upside. It's actually a very tiring act. What you need to do is take your blinders off and realize what a guy like Vilma can bring to the right team. Once you do that, you'll be well on your way to becoming a more competent football fan, and a better person.

16. petekendall

petekendall New Member

mangini sucks !!!! He is the sole reason why this team is playing like this .. you cant go from an above avg team like we did last year and become the door mat of the nfl wiht the same players and some positions upgraded as well...except pete kendall of course wich was one of the all time worst moves ever!!! this team is in every game minus NE and they folde..that is on the coaches and the terrible play calling..and i dont care to hear how chad cant pass for more trhan 10 yards cause he has been playing like that for the past four years..we get a top tier running back and our rushing YPG are the same if not lower than they were last year at this time with a bunch of no bodies on the team..

17. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Piss poor analysis? Lets see . Have the Jets played alot more 4-3 fronts recently. True or false. I can list articles that confirm whatI am saying is true.
    NOw if you finally accept that to be he case. Explain to me why J Vilma hasn't looked any better in 4-3. Now for your theory to hold water, Vilma should have been back to his dominating self. That has not been the case.
    Now you throw in the fact that Vilma might need season ending surgury on his knee. You think that going to increase his trade value or disminish it.

Hey If you know me, Im willing to put my money in what I believe in. I Bet you that best Jets get for J Vilma is a third rounder. Want to take me up on that one.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Go ahead and list the articles then.

We watch the Jets on a regular basis, not read articles. The Jets have done nothing resembling a 4-3 this year. There is never more than one DT on the line, and even when one of the LBs lines up on the line (usually Thomas) he is still standing up, not in a stance.

Vilma is a first round pick, and to part with him for less would be highway robbery.

19. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

I agree, and I think he has to go. I think the best course of action would be to trade Vilma high and go out and sign Karlos Dansby to pair with Harris in the middle. If I'm Vilma, I don't want to play for the Jets once my contract is up and if I'm the Jets, I don't want to bid for a 4-3 stud who is a 3-4 dud and commit my cap to it simply because he's a field general. You can have a field general when the other linebackers are playmakers. Ours aren't.

-X-

20. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

First up who cares where Vilma was drafted. The Fact is Vilma has looked like garbage the last two years. Not going to help the Jets get better. Jets have two choices. You Can trade him for a third rounder(best you can get for him- especially coming off knee injury) Try to find a better fit for your defense. Or you can keep Vilma for one more year, and watch him leave for no compensation.(freeagency)

Hopefully for you Jets Fo willing to move on and not keep Vilma around , just because he was their first round choice. IF they areworried about people perception of not getting fair compensation. Than they have more problems than even i think they do.

BTW. You seriously think teams are going to give anything higher than a third, for an undersized LB, that relies on his speed. Coming off a serious knee injury. Hey maybe you get get a third rounder for Chad Pennington too. Almost as laughable.

#140 Raiderjoe, Oct 26, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2007