A relative thought

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Oct 24, 2007.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think Mangini is Rich Kotite's long-lost son. Eric's clueless decision to stay with Pennington (1-6 so far and we beat powerhouse Miami by 3 whopping points at home after we recovered their onside kick) makes about as much sense as Kotite drafting Brady over Sapp (95) and then using the first pick in the second round in 96 to draft WR Van Dyke after he drafted WR Keyshawn Johnson in round 1 and already had WRs Chrebet and Graham.

2. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

Eric made the playoffs with key plays involving guys he drafted.

3. Maybe the results on the field this yar seem similar..but Mangini has twice the football knowledge, sense, and drive than Kotite ever had.

He's extremely stubborn, and has displayed his coaching inexperience..but overall he knos what he's doing and is not the trainwreck kotite was.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Kotite gets some of the blame for the team drafting Brady over Sapp, but not all of it.

---

Assistant general manager James Harris had a deal worked out with the Buccaneers for the Jets 2nd round pick in the 1996 draft. The Jets were supposed to make a trade with the Buccaneers if Leeland McElroy was still available when the Jets spot came up at the top of Round 2.

McElroy was indeed available when the Jets were on the clock. They went against their word and did not trade with the Buccaneers. The Jets drafted Van Dyke. You could say the Jets got what they deserved.
    With the next selection, the Cardinals picked McElroy. He busted.
    The Buccaneers "settled" for Mike Alstott.

The Buccaneers director of player personnel was Tim Ruskell. He received a call from Harris after the Jets picked Van Dyke.
    "Tim, I'm so sorry. When Van Dyke was still there, the coaches just went ahead and took him right away."

I know this because Tony Dungy said so in his memoir.

5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

interesting..never knew that.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

trainwreck is the right word, Kurt

7. Section102

Section102 New Member

makes me sick

this thread makes me sick... Coach is good, and most people forget STILL LEARNING. His Second year and penny still starting is his only mistake. When the Defense cant tackle, line cant block, both lines get blown back... thats not all on the coach. I See why your angry but give us another year and everyone will be back on his side.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Talk about apples and oranges. Evaluating NFL players is not the same as evaluating college players entering the draft. Section 102 makes a valid point that Mangini's decision to stick with Chad isn't the worst thing effecting this team right now. However, having a team consisting of all but a few of the same players from last year regress is still on the coaching staff and some responsibility does fall on Mangini since they're all his guys coaching the players.

9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

If you'll read my read which makes you sick you will discover that the mistake I refer to IS Chad still starting. By the way I think the QB play has a lot to do with the team's success.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Coach is not responsible for defense can't tackle, line can't block, both lines get blown back? Last time I looked those were some of the things that head coaches were supposed to be most responsible for given that teams not having them go 3-13 or so.

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Yeah, but when all the coach talks about is "inconsistent execution" he is blaming his players. it's not like other teams dont make any mistakes.

I see he's the type to throw his players under the bus and will be machiavellian when going about his business.

Maybe he should think about making better coaching decisions and fourth down playcalls.

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

This thread title made me think of my mother in law. Can this season get any worse? Please make it stop.

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

You know the definition of "mixed emotions?"

Watching your mother-in-law drive over the cliff in your new porsche

14. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

Here's a relative thought....my cousin is kind of hot....

15. Beamen

Beamen New Member

These players are all pros... At some point, everyone playing defense could tackle to an extent, everyone on the OL could block to an extent, etc.... It's the coach's job to help them improve their technique and efficiency, and to get the most out of them....

So actually, it is LARGELY, if not ALL on the coach

16. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Everyone who is complaining about Mangini needs to realize something - It could be sooooo much worse (at least in the coaching dept).