Vilma lost for the year (MERGED)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by falcon4e, Oct 24, 2007.

1. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...jonathan_vilma_says_injury_not_reason_he.html

Heres the key excerpt..

"On Monday, Mangini said Vilma was battling an unspecified injury that "dramatically affected" his play. Vilma, who had only three tackles, called it "a coach's decision." He didn't agree with the decision, saying, "I didn't think I did anything wrong." Asked if he believes his job is in jeopardy, Vilma said, "I don't think it should be if it is."

How does everyone feel about this?

2. Don G

Don G New Member

I'm still a Mangini supporter but I don't like this at all. If this is true, it's the type of stuff that immediately alienates a coach in the locker room. If he was trying to cover something up it's one thing but flat out lying about an injury is not what this team needs right now.

3. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Well now he’ll definitely have an “injury” against the Bills

4. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Several things Mangini has done this season has irked me. Putting Kendall in a rookie dorm, Baker coincidentally being inactive week after his comments.. smells fishy.. and now this.. Just tell the truth.. as you said, if you're Vilma, what are you thinking right now when your coach is lying about an injury.

Winning will cure everything.. but if Mangini keeps losing, he'll lose his players or he'll just simply trade them.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well lets see......vlma has done absolutely nothing in two years now....am I pissed he was benched? are you serious? I have been pissed that hes playing

6. Tight

Tight Active Member

wow, now the shii hits the fan... Vilma speaking out.... WOw guess all these high characther guys mangini wanted are regressing....

7. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Mangini has to do something to shake up this team and get their collective heads of their asses. If that means sitting Vilma, or Pennington, or whoever else to do it (after looking at the game tape), then so be it. If he wants to get his team's attention, sitting a guy like Vilma, will certainly do it.

And I don't think this will alienate the locker room. They are 1-6 and Mangini told the players everyone was going to be evaluated. So if they don't like it, play better.

8. baamf

baamf Active Member

There already are a couple of threads on this, but no this doesn't bother me at all. Would you rather Mangini call out one of his players in the media and say something like; "Vilma sucks and I pulled him because he couldn't tackle a high school kid coming through the line". Instead he gave the player an out so that he wouldn't have to be embarrassed about his play. Vilma put his foot in his mouth IMO....

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is getting tiring. I'm trying really hard to support Mangini, but at some point, enough is enough.

He's going to bench Vilma and let Chad keep throwing floaters? WTF?

Mangini better get his act together quick.

10. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Mangini didn't draft Vilma (or Baker the other guy that spoke out). So I don't see your point.

11. baamf

baamf Active Member

Vilma was not brought in by this regime, and if he continues this type of selfish behavior he will ensure his way out the door...

12. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

He hasn't made a decision on Chad as far as I know. (Did I miss it?) So benching Chad might be coming too. (One can only hope)

13. falcon4e

falcon4e Member

Selfish Vilma in the right place will become a star somewhere else. I believe that.

14. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

He's 50/5o making the right decision with these two....

15. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Chad played fairly well. The guy who should be benched is Schottenheimer.

Meanwhile, Vilma continues to get blown off the ball by guards, who have a clear path to him. If he doesn't fit the scheme, they're going to have to make a decision. I for one think it's rather absurd to stick with a 3-4 system when the talent clearly favors a 4-3, but I think the idea is a long term commitment to the 3-4. If that's the case, then Vilma might have to go the way of Hugh Douglas, and we'll have to aggressively pursue a Karlos Dansby type in the offseason.

-X-

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Vilma is overrated. A good LB could shake a gaurd with a "clear path" to them from time to time. Vilma never does.

Even in the 4-3 when he had a boatload of tackles - almost none of them were at the point of attack. They were always 3-4-5 yards downfield.

We can do better.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I say lets put the whole team down as either (P) probable, or (Q) questionable on the next games injury report. That just keeps everyone covered in case they blow a play or three or five next game. :up:

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

maybe he has the chris baker syndrome

19. Gator

Gator Active Member

When you watch Vilma on a run up the middle, he appears to accelerate to the lineman in front of him and lock up with him, when his job is to try and avoid the lineman and at least get a hand on the RB. He doesn't even breath on the RB most times. A big part of it is the DLs fault, but still, Vilma doesn't appear to be 'heady'. You gotta go for the running back, not the lineman, even if it means backing up a step. I'd rather the guy get 5 yards than 9 .

20. pender30

pender30 Member

I don't see why anybody on this board would call Vilma selfish. He has been putting up with a defense change that has vastly altered his career without complaining. I think he justs wants a little honestly - if you benched me because you think I can't play - say that to my face and to the media. Don't make up some BS about an injury. It's ludicrous for a head coach to expect his players not to talk to the media, but then when he gets up there he can make up a story about why he yanked his leader on defense?