Positives and Negatives ***NO QB TALK***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ihatethedolphins3, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

Andre Dyson looking like he was afraid to hit Plaxico Burress on a simple out pattern that went for 53 yards & a score after a great stiff arm. Dyson told reporters after that game that he thought Burress was out of bounds after the initial shove, but added that it was no excuse for not finishing the play.

Where is Thomas Jones? I know for a fact that Jones is better than this. 13 carries for 36 yards. Wow, talk about a non-factor. Guess its hard to get the play action going when there is no rushing attack. Which leads me to point number three.

While the offensive line will get major kudos for fending off a pass rush that had 12 sacks last week, the run blocking has been brutal. Dolphins game aside, they just don't seem to get a push at the line of scrimmage. Between the line not creating space & Jones not breaking away, this is a recipe for rushing disaster.

A 1-4 record after five game, with the Eagles & Bengals the next two weeks. Enough said.

Now for some positives:
    Leon Washington with a 98 yard kick return. That was number two for Washington who continues to show that he is more than just a third down back.

Pass Protection. As bad as the line was in the running game, they did a great job protection Pennington. Did you even hear Strahan or Osi's name being called before the one sack was allowed in the last two minutes of the game, when the result was already decided? No you did not. D'Brickashaw Ferguson & Anthony Clement did tremendous jobs up front.

Brad Smith. First career touchdown catch & what a catch. Falling to the turf, reaching over the defender. What a grab. I watched this kid play vs me in high school in youngstown, impressed me then, impresses me now, he could be a very very solid 3rd wr for years to come

Balanced attack. For the first time since the 2005 season, the Jets got an offensive, defensive & special teams touchdown. Kerry Rhodes stripping Brandnon Jacobs & returning it for a score in the first quarter giving the Jets a 7-0 lead. Kerry RHODES's ff td was great to see bc we all know what this guys got and its all-world talent, maybe this will get him goin

2. ihatethedolphins3

what do u guys think? and how can we improve (no qb talk please)

3. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

I think we need to use the 4-3 in more situations. This D is supposed to be able to flex from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Until we draft some great 3-4 fits in the offseason, the 4-3 should be worked into everygame plan in some way IMO. I also think that if the defense does not vastly improve on all fronts this year, Sutton needs to be replaced.

Additionly, think that Mangini and Schots need to get a lesson in being commited to the running game. They need to design more schemes around the running game. Even if it does not win us game. Yes you heard that right. Winning games in the NFL revolves around sound running plays. This team needs to vastly improve on running schemes. I understand they are stacking the box with Chad in there but there has to be a way to exploite that and still use a running attack.

4. ihatethedolphins3

we aint changing to a 4-3 so we need to just accept that, other then that io agree with u on the most part, we are trying to many gimmicks instead of just running up the gut, gimmicks dont fool anyone unless we can prove we can line up and pound it up hte middle

5. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

The defense looked good for the first half! We had some pressure going and even had a crucial stop when needed 2 times! Leon has taken over millers return duties beautifully. The direct snap and gadget plays seem to work from time to time. Chad barely touched the field turf all day. I liked that they were rolling Chad out on a couple of plays. That’s about it!

6. StlRamsMU

StlRamsMU New Member

Brad Smith is the man

7. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

Thier were some plays that the Sutton/Mangini called that worked in the first half in regard to pressuring the QB and getting to the backfield of the Giants. That was a plus and a welcome sight after weeks of pretty much being the 'welcome mat' for opponants to wipe thier feet on before waltzing into the endzone.

The "bend dont break" method we seem to be morphing into after we gain a lead needs to be hit in the head with a shoval, dragged out the door by the feet, and burried in a rock quarry somewhere in Northern New Jersey. This technique may work for Belichik, but Mangini really needs to find his own identity, especially when a Belichick method is not working for him. Bend don't break pretty much 'broke' our backs on Sunday.