The bright side

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Oct 7, 2007.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

1st - today was pathetic. Mangini is in Herm territory for stubborness in sticking to a system that puts top players in a a position of weakness.

What I saw that I like today is

1 - Brad Smith is at worst, an _excellent_ #3 receiver. Factor in his smarts, and ability to QB and run and you have a very disruptive force.
    2 - Revis continually looked good.
    3 - Leon Washington is better than we realized in ST, and should be at a minimum a Dave Megget type force for us.

Now the bad.
    Mangini's pissing me off. He's wasting all the talent on defense and not matching the system to the talent. That's closer to Herm than genius.

Pennington, while being the ultimate individual to cheer for, is done. Everything with this offense leaves no margin for error and defenses know it. He should buy Cotch and Coles something special because they put their bodies on the line to make him look good.

We are getting dominated on the LOS on offense and defense. Bellichek's strong-arming of veteran free-agents was predicated on having top notch lines. We don't and TJ is feeling the pain of Kendall's departure.

2. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

Also hasn't anybody realized how bad Mike Nugent has been? Whats his fg % currently?

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Second round pick well spent.

4. Jetsfan5

Jetsfan5 New Member

I agree, I hate wasting high picks on TE's, K/Ps, FB's, G's because you can always find enough talent in the free agency.

5. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Nugent really hasn't been that bad, maybe not as great as last yr, but not that bad. He's 4/7 I believe. Except for the one bad miss against buffalo from 37 yds, the others were 42 and 52, which are acceptable. I'm not worried about nuge.

However I am worried about Chad and everything the OP mentioned.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

b smith better be at least a #3 cause one injury to either coles/cotch will be disastrous. just like an injury to the oline.

we are razor thin talent wise at key positions, like many teams, but we are not good enough to mask those spots when the injuries come.

jil

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i'm glad you made a thread lauding Brad Smith. it's about time Mangini starts using him as a WR. he has a good size at 6'2, good speed, he can jump, and has reliable hands. in other words, he's an excellent athlete with a lot of potential. if McCareins plays again at the #3 this year, i'll really start to question Mangini (on top of everything else).

the other guy that impressed me was Eric Smith. we saw some glimpses from him last year, and today he showed he's more disruptive than Erik Coleman, plays faster, and hits harder. besides, he spells "Eric" the way it should be. he should also start from here on out.

8. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think thats a bit much...nugent was awesome last year. i was talking with a friend of mine after he missed that FG in the first half. i said to him that i think the work hes put into the KOs has hurt his FGs. who knows if thats the case....but it was just a thought.

getting nugent in rd 2 wasnt a mistake. he hasnt been as automatic as he was last year, but hes still one of the better kickers in the league. when we drafted nugent kicker was a HUGE need for the jets. we all remember the doug brien debacle in pitt...and for the most part i think the fans were happy to see nugent become a jet. i think the fact we took miller AFTER nooge is a testament to how we prioritized comming off that loss to pitt in the playoffs.

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

One more.

Chris Baker is a good TE with sure hands. I see no reason to replace him. Just a need to find a way to protect wtihout him blocking so he can run routes.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

With a good QB, who could throw with the velocity that the inside routes tightends run require, Baker would be a 60 catch for 700 yards and 10 TD type receiver.

11. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I don't know if Baker is athletic enough to be that awesome a tight end. But he should be a top 10ish tight end. He's got very, very good hands.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He runs wonderful routes in the redzone, which is the only place the Jets utilize him at the moment because they can throw fades and endline touches to him.

He'd be a real threat with a QB that could throw deep in the box without getting picked constantly. Chad has never thrown deep in the box as a rule and we're seeing why in the last couple of seasons as his INT's are skyrocketing.

13. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. D'Brick also looked good and Rhodes looks like he's getting back in sync.

Also.. Chris Baker is the man. I think he could easily be a top 5 TE in the league. I've NEVER felt let down when he's the target receiver.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

try FIRST round pick. Terry Dumbway traded our first rounder for Nugent and Jolley. Jolley lasted one year so its basically a first rounder that Terry Idiot coughed up. You wonder why we have no depth? And incredibly Boobway is still drawing a paycheck from the jets!

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Something positive - no matter what way you cut it... Laveraneus Coles is AWESOME. Easily the most underrated Jet on the roster I think. Not that his talent is underrated, but nobody really points him out but he continues to have the kinds of games he has.

Getting Coles back for Moss was an amazing trade. I hope Coles retires a Jet because he is the man. Just imagine what he'll do when he has a QB throwing to him who can hit him in stride downfield??

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I always come to Lav's defense when the Haters come here to bash him. He is an Elite receiver that can easily take over a game when he gets the ball....

His Hands remind me of C.Carter...simply great

17. StlRamsMU

StlRamsMU New Member

Brad Smith and Cotchery are the future best 1 2 punch in the game