You make the call- Pennington or Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Exit 117, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Who do you start at QB in Week 5?

1. Chad Pennington

33.6%
  2. Kellen Clemens

66.4%
  1. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

He looked terrible in the 2 minute defense at the end of bost halfs.

2. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

How did he look terrible in the 2 min offense in the first half? You mean because he didn't pick up 25 yards a pop and drive us 80 yards for the score? Come on...he moved the team 60 yards and got them in position to put points on the board. It's not his fault Nuge shanked it.

He looked fine moving the ball 55 yards at the end of the half last week against Miami as well.

3. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

The point of a 2-minute offense is to drive the length of the field in the allotted time period and scoring.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

He got us in scoring range in the first half. That first half drive was fine. It isn't Penny's fault the FG kicker misses a 37 yarder.

In the second half the Bills D was pretty much playing to the deep pass. They kept giving the Jets the underneath and dump-off and it is what Penny took. Not sure what is so hard to understand about that. They drove down and scored on the 2nd to last possession. And they left enough time to get the ball back and make another drive. Ill-timed INT ended the drive. People are making a mountain out of nothing here.

5. thejetsaddict

thejetsaddict New Member

Did any of you see Osi Umenyiora last night........Do you think Fergy will be able to stop him? Cause I dont think so, so wouldnt really matter who starts. But I am all for Clemens at this point. I was at the Bills game and it was embarrassing. Some of his passes were just hanging in the air waiting to be picked. I was a chad supporter all along but I think I have officially been converted.

Bring In Clemens!!!

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Thanks for you opinion, chicken little #457.

:breakdance:

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

D'brick will do way better than Winston Justice did.

8. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

i would still start chad in the giants game...he has to win and keep winning
    we need to be back at 500 in 4 games...
    the clemens era would begin for me if we werent
    clemens may have thrown 2 ints in the loss, but they were not bad ints...he looked like a good decision maker
    i am frustrated with chad, but also the cs for not calling more pass plays early(down field)
    chad has moved the ball, but our play selection has just been killing drives...i think both are to blame

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He put us in scoring range. Can't blame Pennington for Nuge missing the kick.

10. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

You do NOT throw 3-4 passes to Leon when he little to no chance to get out of bounds when you have 1 timeout. If we consistantly got out of bounds (some of that is on Leon too), we would have had time to take a shot at the endzone, or at least a chip shout FG, without relying on a prayer fake spike play just to get into FG range.

He DID look better against Miami. But I'm talking about consistancy here. If his lack of pig play potential is always going to leave us in hurry mode at some point in the game, I expect the basics in clock management to be followed, like getting out of bounds.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

They scored on the second to last drive because he threw the ball downfield! Putting to rest the myth that the Bills had 9 deep in coverage all game. They didn't. The truth of the matter is Penny will not throw downfield unless a guy is 5-10 yards wide open.

12. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We're not winning 3 straight with Chad starting, so why wait?

Don't fault play selection. Of the 20 times Chad checked off to the RB, do you think his first options weren't downfield? That's the definition of having a check down option.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Better game management would have left enough time on the clock to go for a TD or at least a chip shot TD. The Bills D is terrible, yet Chad respected them like they were the Partiots out there.

14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Yea I agree with you on the big play. Truth be told though, I don't want Pennington taking a shot at the end zone from the 20 unless the game is on the line. His potential too be picked off skyrockets after 10 yards. Could it have been better? Sure, but for a guy with no arm he runs the 2 min fairly well.

The game ending drive is a different ball game. Chads arm gets exposed again. Didn't he say he was trying to throw the ball out of bounds after the game? There's no excuse for that.

+1 for Clemens anyway..

15. steviep

steviep Active Member

I am a big Chad fan. Its clear though (at least to me) that he will NOT be the QB next year. I do not believe that giving the job to KC is conceding the season -- but i think its probably time to go that way.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Thats because he's afraid to throw deep. I would be too with his arm. He's probably afraid to go over the middle at this point as well, because he doesn't want to prematurely end any of his receivers careers.

Again, he wasn't perfect, but he put us in position to score. Those 3 points get on the board and we're likely to be having a different conversation right now.

17. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

We have a tough schedule, and Chad failed miserably against a cupcake team. The OL is getting a little better each game. That combined with Clemens ability to evade pressure and make things happen with his feet may actually give us the best chance to win.

My heart wants Penny to prove me wrong, but my brain tells me conceding the season starts with staying with Pennington.

18. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

A starting QB in the NFL cannot be afraid to throw deep.

He does throw short routes over the middle, and gets his receivers killed almost every time.

Chad put us within range of a makable FG. That drive should have resulted in a TD or chip shot FG, without Coles even having to do his best Superman impersonation.

The bottom line is this game should not have been 17-14 Bills. With their terrible D and our talent on offense, with as much time Chad had from the OL, this game shoud have been 24-10 Jets.

19. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

not bad today? what game were you watching? 1st interception caused td. 2nd interception lost FG chance. Nevermend the fact that he never threw the ball down the field, not once. Man, you guys kill me. So he completes 20 5 yard passes, my son can do that.

20. JumboJet

JumboJet New Member

It was clear last year that Kellen wasn't ready to manage the offense. Now he is. It's time.