You make the call- Pennington or Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Exit 117, Sep 30, 2007.

?

Who do you start at QB in Week 5?

1. Chad Pennington

33.6%
  2. Kellen Clemens

66.4%
  1. ........

........ Trolls

I'm sure I'll take a lot of crap for this, but I'm still voting for Chad. He did this all of last season: one good game, one bad. If he shits the bed next week, I'll revisit the thought then. My ideal situation was always to have Chad start the rest of the season (or until they were eliminated from playoff contention or found a trading partner), and bring in Clemens at that point. Now, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to give Clemens the start after the bye. Give him 2 weeks with the first team to prepare. That does, however, mean he'd be starting against Pittsburgh. I say one game doesn't cost Chad the job, but a few certainly does. Either way, I'll support whatever the CS decides at this point. I can't say I'm strong on either side.

2. In Mangini We Trust

In Mangini We Trust New Member

i guarantee mangini sticks with pennington...but i think its time to go with clemens...we cant win the division and a 1-3 start in the AFC = no playoffs...i think if we get clemens going now, he will be prepared for next year...just think, if clemens works out (which we all think he will)...improve the OLINE during the offseason, thomas jones/leon washington, and coles and cotchery...that could be a pretty deadly offense

3. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

like it matters if thomas jones keeps getting shut down

4. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

Pennington is part of the reason Jones keeps getting shut down. Quite a bit of a different result in this poll then the previous one.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There's not a decision to be made, it's obviously Chad who should be starting.

I know Chad is the latest scapegoat for the Jet "fans" but those morons are being unfair and blaming Chad for everything that has gone wrong. Anyone who knowsanything about the NFL knows there is not a decision to be made.

6. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I would go along with this statement.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

How did Jones do when Clemens was playing? Grossman didn't seem to keep Jones down the last 2 years.

Thomas Jones w/ Chad: 51 carries for 187 yards, 3.7 YPC

Thomas Jones w/ Clemens: 24 carries for 67 yards, 2.8 YPC

8. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

The problem is that Chad's physical limitations are impossible to hide anymore. With the game 10-7, he floats one to his left that gets jumped. With the game 17-7, he can't stretch the field and help them score quickly, he goes check down, check down, check down, and his first pass over 15 yards is again, jumped b/c it floats. I'm sorry, I can't deal with it anymore. He's too physically limited...we need to worry about the future. Clemens' time is now.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Look, even if you like Chad, the two hard facts are (1) he will not get us into the playoffs and (2) we are not catching the Pats this year anyway. Why not get Clemens's growing pains out of the way now, actually have an off season where we make more than 1 move, pick up defensive players that actually fit the scheme you are hopelessly tied to playing, and have a good draft so we can begin building a team around this kid, and hope that next year we're in a position to be more competitve.

10. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

The problem is that Chad's physical limitations are impossible to hide anymore. With the game 10-7, he floats one to his left that gets jumped. With the game 17-7, he can't stretch the field and help them score quickly, he goes check down, check down, check down, and his first pass over 15 yards is again, jumped b/c it floats. I'm sorry, I can't deal with it anymore. He's too physically limited...we need to worry about the future. Clemens' time is now.

11. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

I think they should fire Bob Sutton and bench the defense. I'm not going to hate on Chad...it's not ALL his fault.

Swiss cheese defense......holes everywhere.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You either don't know what a great QB performance looks like or just have too much man love for Pennington to see what's going on. Chad's performance was far from great yesterday.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Those numbers don't lie. It's hard to judge what Jones would have done overall if Clemens played the entire game the way he did in the 4th. At that point it was pass pass pass so Jones really didn't get any touches. It's hard to argue though that if we have a QB that can hit receivers in stride and stretch the field a bit, our running game would not improve.

I think they should try running the 2 minute offense all game. Thats when Pennington has looked his best this year so far.

14. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

I am NOT a Chad-Hater! Let's be clear about this- it's been said over and over again...

...you cannot expect a team to play perfect football on every drive. In order for the Jets to score points, because they CANNOT make a quick deep strike with Pennington at the helm, they need to be perfect.

As pointed out by Mike & Mike this morning, there are 4 teams that are undefeated, and their quarterbacks are:

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Bret Favre, and Tony Romo. Each of these guys has advantages Pennington does not have, but each of these guys CAN THROW DEEP and create a deep threat that the defense MUST RESPECT.

Yes, our defense has been putrid, but we will NEVER win big until we have a quarterback who can make the quick deep strike...period!

15. ........

........ Trolls

My God...you Chad supporters are going to make me change my vote.

"He had a great performance today"?

"If you know anything about football, you know it's obvious that Chad should start?"

It's not obvious. It's pretty damned far from obvious. It's questionable at best.

16. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

That's pretty much where i have been coming from, but if I were to pull the trigger on CP, I wouldnt stop there. i'd also bench every other vet who is not producing as much as they should be, for whatever reasons, and much of that goes to the defense.

The change shouldnt stop at replacing the QB.

17. ........

........ Trolls

You like stats? I'll give you stats.

Run Defense for the Patriots: 4th out of 32
    Run Defense for the Dolphins: 32nd out of 32
    Run Defense for the Bills: 28th out of 32

Run Defense for Baltimore: 3rd out of 32

I wonder why his numbers are better for the first 3 (best for Miami)...

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I don't feel it is questionable. Even the best QB's in the league have thrown up a couple of picks. Even the best QB's in the game have blown games. Chad played his part in losing that game yesterday, but he continues to be our best option under center. There were a lot of factors that led to us losing yesterday. This burning Chad on the cross crap is just knee-jerk, mob mentality run amok.

19. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

The following 50 need to be turned to the dark side...

abdulsalaam, Al Dorow, allan1, AtlantaJet, BenGrahamFan, blevins, boozer, Cinvis, Cornfed, D'Beast 60, danaaprildarren, dclark26, EL Kabong, FrankTheTank, Green on Kauai, GreenBleeder69, IgnatiusJReilly, Jetdic, JetFanInTampa, Jetzz, kingjetorl, mef117, MillerTime#22, Namath2Kolber, nohope, NYJ2K07, NYjets2335, NYJets38, nyjetsmac, nyjunc, Penning10toColes, penny10jet, RDriven3, red75bronco, Rib Boy, Royal Tee, ScotlandJet, SigmaXJet, SunshineJet, Tanaman, TheBlairThomasFumble, TheNatureBoy, Trend, Wease, WhiteShaft04, WW85, xxedge72x, YanksFan1992, Yisman, zeike

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

:rofl2: Never!!!! You're not my father!! :grin: