G.m.c.

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by ollie, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Learn To Swim

Learn To Swim 2008 Nightowltom "Best Non-Jets Poster" Award Winn

My only regret is that their record was ever good enough for there to be a collapse. They didn't deserve it.

2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

"I think we are the team to beat in the NL East -- finally"- Jimmy Rollins

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2740529

I'll say it one more time, because it's unreal. I cannot believe Rollins was right.

Technically, for the majority of the season, the Mets were in 1st place. But in the last week of the season, the Phillies were in 1st, and the Mets were looking up, hoping to regain 1st place. But they tied, and then the next day, it was lost again.

3. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Both sides do it. Why are some people so blind about it?

4. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Gmc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. JetsFanEd

JetsFanEd New Member

G-Guillermo
    M-Mota
    C- Collapsing

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

7. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Because 95% of Mets fans genuinely hate the Yankees passionately. I can't say the same thing about Yankees fans about the Mets. I personally don't care that much about the Mets. You can have your fun, as long as it's less fun than the Yankees. I think a lot of Yankees fans feel that way. If the Mets fans didn't hate the Yankees, I don't think anyone would care as much.

Mets fans do it more for hatred of the Yankees. Yankees fans do it more because of tweaking the Mets fans and trying to keep them below the Yankees.

I root against the Mets in the playoffs, but for the regular season, meh, I really don't care all that much. I really just wanted to see a playoff.

Epic collapses also interest me, though. I loved the Angels from 1995, and I would have loved the Cardinals last year.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

RE: the first half of your post

I was 19 years old before I experienced the Yankees winning a WS. To that point, I could have said the same stuff you are saying here. Until 1996, in my lifetime, the Mets were the better team in NY. The Yankees didn't cause much concern for me.
    The fanbase whose team is down is naturally going to hate the other team more.
    Doesn't this same phenomenon exist with Rangers-Devils and Rangers-Islanders?

RE: collapses
    I'd rank 'em:
    1. 2007 Mets
    2. 1964 Phillies
    3. 2004 Yankees in ALCS
    4. 1951 Dodgers
    5. 1978 Red Sox
    6. 1995 Angels

9. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Oh I gotta buy one of those

10. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I wasn't old enough for the Phillies, Dodgers, and Red Sox collapses. The Angels collapse I vaguely remember, but I was 7. Obviously, I took no pleasure in the Yankees collapse.

And you are correct about the down team hating the big team more. It's bigger in baseball, though, because the Yankees have the highest payroll and the most fans, and the most recent success. Keep in mind that the majority of Mets fans in this forum are fairly young.

11. Irv

Irv Member

Call me a five-percenter then. Never posted in the GYC thread, don't mind the Yankees, don't mind taking the piss out of any of my teams because, aside from the Rangers, they have all mastered the art of choking in situations with their backs against the wall when they had a more-than-legitimate shot to win.

#31 Irv, Sep 30, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  12. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

even when the Mets were on top Yankee fans didn't have that blind hatred the Met fans do... One of my favorite things to do to a Met fan after 86 was saying the series was fixed... they used to flip out... and they were on top...the Met fan will always feel inferior to the Yankee fan IMO until the Mets win some more WS

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

They will always feel that way unless the Mets do something miraculous like the Boston Celtics did in the 1950s and 1960s when they won 11 titles in a span of 13 years.

14. Irv

Irv Member

Personally, I find this inferiority complex theory irrelevant and that's why I never bought into talking trash to Yankees fans. We all root for the Jets, for crying out loud.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

This is fantastic.....fantastic.....hahahaha

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Reyes and wright are better than jeter and a-rod!!!!!

hahahahah ok ok Im done.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: how many days til ed colemans first port st lucie report?:wink:

17. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

this is just mean

18. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

All we heard during the offseason was how this is now the Mets town. They changed their theme song, the fans were going gaga. Putting down the Yankees lack of recent success at any opportunity. We would never stop hearing about how awesome the Mets are and were going to be in the years ahead and how the Yankees are old and underperforming, and no better than the Mets. So in some ways, this is a little payback for that.

Sure, the Mets might be good, but putting down the Yankees like that certainly wasn't warranted.

19. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

They might be better at golf with all the extra practice...

20. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I think one pile on thread is enough.