Official Bench Chad Pennington Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetfan51, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

So is Pennington the reason that the opposing QBs all go back to the lockerroom in clean jerseys? Is he the one that allowed a rookie QB to throw all over the field?

This is a ridiculous argument, IMO. It's the defense that is this teams issue. The boat is sinking, and you guys are worried about the paint job.

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

You really think the plays are designed for Chad to look downfield for a couple seconds, and then check down to a RB on a late release about 1 yard past the LOS every play? Please...

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he lost today's game. clearly outplayed by a rookie picked in the 3rd round.

which doesn't say much for the genius who starts him, nor the oc who won't/can't throw downfield. he's handicapped by his noodle.:sad:

4. silent scream

silent scream Well-Known Member

Chad is not entirely to blame, obviously, but this team has a long year ahead of it and the only future Chad can provide is a consistently mediocore offense. What is the point of trotting him out there if we have the "future" on the bench, other than to get our WRs decapitated?

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is how offensive football works in the NFL:

1. They call the play on the sidelines.

2. The QB can adjust the play at the line of scrimmage.

3. The QB executes the play and if it's a passing play we go to:

a) He either gets time to make a throw or he doesn't.

b) assuming he has time he goes through what is called a progression. In this progression he looks at the main targets of the play (usually wide receivers downfield) and then if he decides that they are not open enough for his throw to reach them in a timely fashion he checks down.

c) Having checked down he goes to an outlet receiver near the line of scrimmage. This is a very high percentage pass that any competent NFL QB completes at least 75% of the time. It generally gains 3-7 yards.

That's how it's supposed to work.

This is what Chad seems to do an alarmingly high percetnage of the time:

1. They call the play on the sidelines.

2. He adjusts the play at the line of scrimmage.

3. He executes the play and if it's a passing play he moves to the Chad Progression (TM):

a) If he has time to throw downfield he glances briefly there.

b) he throws to his outlet receiver 80% of the time. He completes most of these although the Jets score a below average number of points on the average drive in which he does this.

That's why he's Checkdown Chad (TM)

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

In this game Chad is as much to blame as the D. The D is terrible but the INT was the deciding factor in this game.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

No way. Chad was very efficient against the Bills' high-powered 3rd string defense.

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This team is rebuilding which is why I can live with a rookie like Revis being picked on all day and finally stepping up to make a key play to give us a shot to win the game. I can't understand why a rebuilding team would let Clemens rot on the bench. I really can't understand why Smith isn't the full time No. 3 either. Why does McCariens even get on the field anymore. This team has 1 mission this year, get the young players who will be on this team 2 or 3 years from now up to speed. We need to find out ASAP if Clemens has the goods or doesn't. We are just setting the rebuilding of this team back every game Clemens sits.

9. Br4d

He was hyper-efficient. The amazing pass distribution machine of our time.

10. ANJI

ANJI New Member

Nan, Chad is the reason why we get ball 5 striate times in a scoreless game and put zero points against a beat up Bills D. That's Chads fault. If mister wins could get some points on the board, the other team would take more risks. No need against our QB, just run the ball and go up by 6 plus..... the game is over then.

11. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Chad always wins when the Jets score more points than their opponent.

12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

the fact is that you are right.

he threw two passes to them and they didn't drop either one.....:eek:hmy:

13. Beamen

Beamen New Member

:lol: :lol: That made me laugh for the first time since the game ended....

On another note, if you guys want to see some real QB play, turn on Indy vs Denver.... These guys look downfield, and throw there with good velocity and accuracy, unless there's ABSOLUTELY nothing....

And Cutler's options at WR suck compared to ours

14. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

I don't think the argument here is that our defense is any good. Obviously they make every QB they throw at us look like Montana but we are what we are on defense and we have to try and fix it with what we have this season.

Our offense on the other hand should have put up 30 points on a bills team that wasn't good to begin with and is banged up. And unlike our defense we do have someone on the sideline that may be a better option. I think we are willing to lose a few extra games this year if it means we bring Clemens along and to tell you the truth I think he gives us a better chance to win than Chad becuase with our defense we are going to have to put up points to win games and with what we have now we can't do that.

15. Br4d

Yeah, WTF do we do next year if god forbid we wind up with the 3 pick and there's a franchise QB there? Do we draft a 50/50 high-risk boom or bust because we know squat about Clemens or do we go for a higher percentage play, like a 3-4 NT or ROLB?

I'm seriously wondering what is going through Mangini's mind at this point. Sitting Clemens right now is as bad a move as sitting Cotchery would have been last year.

16. Gator

Gator Active Member

Anybody watching the throws Cutler is making as we speak and still defending Chad because of 02 or 04 is in denial. Chad can't throw the ball, which is kinda important for a QB. We need to score 20-30 points every game, something Chad can't do anymore.

It's Clemens time. He can hit a guy open 15-20 yards downfield. Chad can't. Pretty basic.

17. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

:lol: :lol: Man, I can't tell you how much I needed that!! :up:

18. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Honestly, I think Mangini's toast....

I think he's a very good football mind and motivator, but he's stubborn beyond what is reasonable.... With insisting Chad is our QB, with insisting we stick with the 3-4..... He hasn't done enough to warrant that kind of behavior.... He's got to learn to recognize when things are going wrong, and make changes....

Whatever happened to play the best player, and do whatever it takes to win? Mangini seems to have forgotten about both of those mantras..

19. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

chad was making quick bad decisions even when there was no pressure. i always defend him but cant this week.

20. Gator

Gator Active Member

That's cause on most plays his decisions are limited to only a couple of guys. Basically, the RB and the closest receiver.

I was always a Chad guy too. It's pretty clear now that we need a different QB.