Vilma / Washington to special teams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BlairThomas#1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Washington to return kicks...I like that

Vilma to defend kicks...I don't like that.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09222007/sports/jets/jets_turn_to_vilma__leon_for_s.htm

September 22, 2007 -- First, there was the record-setting 108-yard kickoff return by New England?s Ellis Hobbs in the Jets? seasonopener. That was followed by a 61- yarder by Baltimore?s Yamon Figurs, in the same game Pro-Bowler Justin Miller was lost for the year with a right knee injury.

Special teams, often a strong point for the Jets, have let them down so far as they head into tomorrow?s game against the Dolphins, which is why players such as Jonathan Vilma and Leon Washington are now involved.

?Everybody is available to play on special teams,? coach Eric Mangini said yesterday. ?It?s crucial.?

That?s why Mangini has tabbed Vilma, a fourth-year starting linebacker, for coverage duty.

?If that?s what needs to be done, then that?s fine with me,? Vilma said.

The spotlight will also be on Washington, who will be among a group of returners Mangini turns to in Miller?s absence. Washington, who returned kicks at Florida State, thinks he?s up to the challenge.

?I?ve been watching and learning from Justin since I?ve been here, not just since he got hurt,? Washington said.

Chad Pennington remains listed as questionable, but Mangini sounded optimistic about the prospect of Pennington playing tomorrow.

?I?m comfortable with his progress throughout the course of the week,? Mangini said of Pennington, who was out last week with a sprained ankle.

2. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Why hasn't Revis returned anything yet?

3. genom

genom Active Member

He is too valuable at cornerback. This guy is is a perennial pro bowler in the making.

4. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I think mangini letting vilma cover kicks is great. He obviously realizes that the man is useless otherwise....maybe now vilma can contribute something to this team.....or is he not the right fit for the special team system we use????

5. TheFactor

TheFactor New Member

I was at the game last week... Vilma was on kickoff duty already...

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Its not a bad idea to have Vilma cover kicks, our special teams have hardly been inspired so mayby he can help them out.

7. SomeNoob

SomeNoob Member

I feel it might help Vilma out too. He needs to get his blood pumping. The shock of the hard hits and accelerated speed on special teams should wake his ass up :) You know this might be the signal that we will see more of David Harris.

8. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

i wouldn't call him useless, yes the 3-4 limits his abilities, but his mental capactiy and leadership ability are still excellent

9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

still useless because our defense has been complete shit for a year+ now

10. yanks9596

yanks9596 Well-Known Member

Letting Leon return kicks scares the crap out of me. I don't like it at all. I may sooner let McCareins handle the return duty than risk an injury to our most explosive offensive weapon.

11. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Vilma knows how to tackle and wrap a guy up, thats why hes going on special teams in which the past 2 weeks we have let Figurs and Hobbs dictate where there offenses start, including that TD by Hobbs.