Billick says Jets 'illegally' simulated snap count

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Coach K

Coach K New Member

this is BS, Its against the rules but its no different than trying to draw opposition into a false start or making miscellaneous noise to distract the offense presnap.

refs rarely call anything of this nature.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, sorry guys, I have to side with the Pats fans again.

I've often said, I will never condone bad calls or penalties that are called incorrectly, regardless of whether they work in my team's favor or not.

This is one of those situations. If we're cheating, we deserve to get busted for it. Plain and simple, we spent a week bitching that Belichick ripped us off, then we go out on Sunday, break the rules, and when it's reported we defend it?

Bullshit.

If we're cheating, expect penalties to be called in the near future. And we deserve it, just as much as the Pats deserve to be busted whenever they break a rule.

What goes around comes around. Mangini gambled and lost. Now we pay the piper.

3. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

We're already breaking the rules, did everyone forget the hurry hurry up no huddle where we don't allow any substitutions between plays.

Besides if it was true the refs would of called it at least once just like the hurry up huddle.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Simulating a snap count is an in game penalty that the refs can call. If our offensive lineman is holding and doesn't get called for it, are you going to say he's cheating? What if our o-line coach specifically told him to do so because the line judge is known for being lenient on holding?

The refs can't throw a penalty flag for illegally video taping the game.

There is no parallel between the two offenses.

5. TheSHRIKE81

TheSHRIKE81 Member

Yeah if he knew about it during the game, then he should have done something. Whining about it now doesn't really do anything. That last paragraph is really funny though. 11 penalties huh? That's called lacking diss-aprin. (discipline)

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Cheating's cheating. Period.

It's not about the severity of the offense. It's about conducting any offense.

Fact is, if this article stated that Mangini called out Billick Monday morning for the Ravens simulating snap counts, all we'd hear all week is how the Ravens are only the best D in the league because they cheat.

Double standards are where I have a problem. Either all offenses are punishable, or none are. The general populace of Jetville wants their cake and wants to eat it too. That's where I find issue with the argument.

I'm not saying Mangini should be fined for these infractions, but the zebras should be paying attention to it in the future. If it draws a flag, it is well deserved. If it's not happening, then there's nothing to worry about is there?

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

LoL even if this was true, which I highly doubt since if Billick could hear this going on from the sidelines don't ya think the refs right there would have heard this going on. Anyway if this is true it is a penalty, not cheating. Big difference.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

There is a difference between gamesmanship and cheating. This is the perfect example of gamesmanship vs. cheating. What Bellicheat did was literally outside the lines of the game and is cheating.

Please answer my question, if our offensive line is holding on purpose because they know the linesman is lenient on holding penalties do you consider it cheating? I don't. It's called gamesmanship.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Have to say, I think Alio is way off-base on this one. Also, I have no idea what the "Mangini gambled and lost" comment refers to?

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It's cheating.

Spin it any way you want, but it's cheating.

Do you get pissed off when someone is holding on us?

Don't. It's just gamesmanship, right?

And HGH wasn't a banned substance in baseball, so Bonds shouldn't have an asterisk, right?

Laughable. That's what I consider this conversation.

11. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Yeah, I kinda agree with this. On how many of those sacks did the defender leave there feet and slam Clemens head into the ground? They know the refs don't call those kind of penalties against the jets.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I think it's laughable that people defend us when we're wrong (not that I am saying we ARE wrong, but assuming we are), yet if the shoe was on the other foot, there'd be hell to pay.

In terms of Mangini gambling and losing, he took a chance by getting Belichick busted. It "worked" but not as well as hoped. Sure, it hurt the Pats a little bit, but surely not enough compared to the dividends they've already seen from the cheating.

It has a side effect though. Now the NFL knows there's something to watch. Perhaps other teams have been doing it, as has been hinted at all along. Now those teams can't conduct "business as usual". That's going to piss a few people off, don't you think? So when Mangini plays "dirty" he'll be called to the carpet for it, every time.

Snitches get stiches.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

If commiting a penalty in the game is cheating, then every team in the NFL cheats every week Alio.

Of course I get pissed, but I don't say they're cheating. It's the refs job to call that penalty. If I'm an offensive lineman and I can hold and get away with it, guess what I'm going to do it every time until the ref does his job. If we get 50 extra rushing yard and 50 extra passing yards before I get called, it's well worth it.

HGH and Barry Bonds are completely unrelated to this argument, I don't understand your point.

14. rillo

rillo New Member

Its a penalty....not cheating. Even in high school football they do this.....

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I disagree with you. It's all related. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules. Of course, each "crime" carries its own penalty, some far more severe than others, but it doesn't change the fact that an infraction occurred.

There's as much difference between what Belichick did, and what Mangini supposedly did as there is between murder and shoplifting. Both events in each situation are violations, however, in both cases, the former does, and should have far stiffer penalties.

At the same time, you wouldn't say a shoplifter should just "get off" without a penalty, would you? The crime really didn't "hurt" anyone, right?

But that would be wrong. Someone suffered, even in a miniscule way, for the crime. Same thing in sports. If one of our guys is holding, and we break a 30 yard run as a result, we cheated to get there. I'd want it called on us as much as I would want it called if it happened to us. That's what discipline is all about.

Now all I'm saying is that if the Jets are doing what these charges allege, then refs should throw a flag in the future. It's something they now should pay attention to. I don't know if we are or are not doing it. All I know is that if we are, we deserve to get flagged for it.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

Of course we should be penalized if we commit a foul. I couldn't agree more.

Every time I watch a game and see a yellow flag I'm going to picture you screaming "CHEATERS!" for now on.

17. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That Clemens is filth, did you see him cheating by waiting until after the playclock ran down to snap the ball?

18. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

To me its no different then the center tryna draw a lineman offsides with a fake snap of the ball, maybe a little twitch here and there.. It should be called as a penalty and again i will say Billick is not one to not speak to the refs about it if it was such a big deal, especially when the opposing offense is driving down for a game tying score

19. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Troll......................:smile: :wink:

20. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

I have to side with Alio here, cheating is cheating, I want nothing to do with it. My only concern here is that "jamming" the opposition's plays have got to be heard by the Referees and almost certainly if it is done regularly in a game.