Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

Can I get a D'Brick progress report?

2. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

so basically you're saying the eagles have the best defense in football (uh my bad, i mean 2nd best defense) because they beat the packers last week? makes sense.

(yes, i was being sarcastic. these stats don't mean shit right now. if you're going up against the colts in week 1 you will likely look worse than some defense that has to play the...lets say...raiders).

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

No question. As I posted, I feel the Ravens are the top D in the league. However, fourthandlast made a claim that Clemens would not have to face a D anywhere near the Ravens D the rest of the year. And that's fully incorrect.

And as Ignatius keeps stating, no one here is saying Clemens is not the future, and looks like he has potential. But the question right now is, who gives us the better shot to win right now. My answer is firmly Chad Pennington.

4. ........

........ Trolls

Rewatched most of the pressure plays/sacks to see where the holes were. D'Brick got beat on a speed rush outside on one play, and dropped back on another to assist Clarke, allowing for a straight sack. Had he not dropped back, Clarke would have given up the sack.

On rushing plays, Brick's already poor run blocking was further compromised by poor play at LG next to him. I'd like to see Bender in there simply because Brick is having to help make up for Clarke's deficiencies as a pass blocker, and I think Bender could help Brick be at least a decent run blocker by taking care of his own man/zone. As it stands, the Jets showed little ability to rush on the Left side of the line yesterday.

Brick isn't playing at the level of a #4 pick right now, but he's MUCH better than people give him credit for on this board.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Try reading with some comprehension. I'm done explaining the point over and over.

6. rikj99

rikj99 Member

Now I love Chad, but I think we should move to the future now, this season is going to be tough to get to the playoffs, so I think we should get Kellen ready for next season by giving him a good solid run at starter.

in the 4th quarter he really looked comfortable and could have had us in OT if it wasnt for dropped catches in the Endzone.

He will learn to put touch on the ball if he plays this season.

Give him a shot.

7. brettbrettr

brettbrettr New Member

Thank you, sir.

8. ........

........ Trolls

I'm not even as certain on that issue as I am that Kellen needs a few weeks of practice/limited game reps with the 1st team in order to be able to execute larger chunks of the playbook with that first team. I also think Chad deserves a chance to win or lose this season's job for himself.

9. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Hate to burst your bubble on the button hook, but if the guy is standing there fro a second, you can have Favre line up and throw it and if it isn't knocked down, the defensive back should not be in the league. The recieve has to be making a play to the ball and the ball has to be released on the break.

10. Gator

Gator Active Member

You make it sound like every route and throw is the exact same. I'm talking about when a receiver gets a DB on one side of him and the QB has the arm to throw it to the other side of the receiver. The kinda play where the DB has good coverage and the pass still gets completed.............maybe like the 15 yard play to Cotch where he got it a ran for another 35. Chad can't make that throw, period. He can do other things, but he can't make that throw.

11. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

To be honest, you're not really adding any support to your argument. If you look at his numbers during the game, my argument clearly supports that case. His final passer rating was 60.6, nothing to jump up and down about, but clearly helped out with his efficient 4th quarter performance.

I highly doubt he needed 2 quarters of football to get rid of the "butterflies." He still has a lot to learn about clock management, reading defenses and learning to get rid of the ball when there isn't a play. He made some rookie mistakes, but that's to be expected.

No doubt that he'll get better, but the argument on this thread is who should start Week 3, not "will Kellen Clemens become a better QB." I think we're all in agreement that he will, and one day, will dethrone Chad as the starting QB on the depth chart.

12. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

this was the best post in this thread..right on

13. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

i still am kinda shocked that 1 decent quarter of football makes 163 people feel clemens instead of a healthy Pennington (i bet most are chad haters tho)

14. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

Welcome to NY.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'll disagree on the "butterflies" thing, but the rest I agree with. I also want to add that it's definitely not a given that CP will be healthy for week 3. He looked very limited in pre-game warmup this week. If CP isn't ready and KC can put together 4 quarters like his last one, he could buy himself another start.

16. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

he said he was ready to go this past week but mangini chose to start Clemens..

PS- The butterflies clear out once you get drilled by the defense. That didnt take 3 quarters

i am proud he hung onto the ball when he got drilled too

17. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If you are going to use the passer rating to measure KC. How about if JMAC makes that easy catch. You eliminate the interception and you eliminate the other drop and his passer rating is near 100.

Passer rating is BS. When the game was on the line he marched downfield twice against arguably the best defense in the NFL. All in his first game.

I voted to play KC over Chad, I will admit. I admire Chads toughness, determination and smart. I am not calling for his head nor am I a hater. However for once it was nice to see a NYJ QB that can make all the throws required of an NFL QB.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Based on how he was hobbling during pregame warmups, I don't think he was really ready to go. Mentally, sure he was ready, physically - no way.

As for the butterflies, please explain how we saw a completely different QB in the 4th quarter? Something clearly clicked in his head.

19. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

besides the defense starting to tire out, you saw a Qb who finally started to realize where the blitz was coming from and you saw a QB get rid of the ball a hell of alot quicker than he was in the first 3 quarters. I honestly dont think it takes 3 quarters to get rid of butterflies especially when you played last week (if only 1 drive)

point being it wasnt the guys first game, but his firsat start

20. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

It was his first start against the best Defense in Football. The Ravens can do that to Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer on any give Sunday. His 4th Qtr was quite impressive. The Coach also called a conservative game until that point as well.