Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Do you ever feel ridiculous for sporting that ridiculous avatar of yours?

Do you ever feel ridiculous for not being able to spell avatar?

And NO. I don't feel ridiculous for my avatar, because the COMMISSIONER OF THE SPORT declared the Pats cheaters.

When are you going to learn to just sit down and STFU?

#221 AlioTheFool, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  2. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

[​IMG]

3. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

so was pennington's first pass TD pass to coles... And a gunslinger with touch. how many times did the receivers have to play Cb and knock a ball away from being intercepted.. Lets be real. the guy completed 50 percont of his passes.. not 70 or 80

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is why I voted for a healthy Chad for right now. The "Delay of Game" penalties were typical rookie things, so was the pick. But he sure as hell put that behind him in the 4th Quarter.

I've been behind the Clemens pick ever since I saw him at TC in the summer of 2006. Some had doubts about him and asked many questions during TC, but to me, he seemed like he could be possibly be the next heir apparent. Now I'm convinced he can be and we could do a lot worse than have Clemens at #1 and still retain Chad as the #2. That would be a great tandem and serve us very well, IMO, for many years to come.

5. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

We need to post this pole again next monday ( I voted Penny btw)

If Clemens starts in Miami and shits the bed, people will be begging for Pennington to play

6. Gator

Gator Active Member

I have to go with Clemens. I appreciate everything Chad has done for us and I like him personally, but this is about football. If you can't throw downfield, you can't run. The early struggles he had yesterday were to be expected, considering it's his first NFL start. Chad may have started better in his carreer out of the gate, but he hasn't progressed physically in the time he's had the job. Also, Kellen was under major pressure in the first half and I thought he moved well. At times, they were on him after the last step of his drop and those sacks were unavoidable. I thought he did well taking the sack without fumbling or getting hurt. I can't say Chad would have had the same results there. But the bottom line is that he can throw it downfield. If you can't do that, generally you can't beat a good defense in a big game and you can't come back in ANY game against any defense. Chad may have had games where he did this here or there, but very often it's embarrasing waching him as our QB because he doesn't have the tools. You gotta be able to hit a guy 15 yards downfield when he gets a step on a defender. Chad can't. Kellen can. Start Clemens, and if he ain't the guy continue looking for a QB that can chuck it where it needs to be.

7. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

no offense but that's a dumb argument. he struggled at the beginning (not the entire first 3 quarters btw) because it was his first career start, not because he can't get the job done. once the butterflies were gone, once he settled in he dominated the best defense in football. he will only get better from now on.

8. Gator

Gator Active Member

He was also under IMMENSE pressure in the first half. The guy is not Superman. A block here or there would be nice.

9. ........

........ Trolls

Wow, are we all a bunch of 10 year olds? "I can't believe you're taking his side!"

The vast majority of those advocating a week 3 start for Pennington aren't suggesting that he's necessarily a better QB for the Jets. Clemens is the future. He has better tools than Pennington and he'll be a better fit for the personnel that this team has. However, Clemens isn't ready to take the entire playbook on yet with the 1st team, which anyone can see from watching the playcalling on Sunday. He'll benefit from getting more reps in practice with the 1st team and watching Chad for at least a few more weeks. I haven't seen anyone on Pennington's "side". I've seen a lot of people who want Kellen Clemens to be successful and have differing opinions on how that will best happen.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Dominated the best defense in football?

Someone please tell me why they aren't showing the actual Jets game on CBS, because obviously, I'm not getting the correct feed.

11. ........

........ Trolls

Now that's unfair. If you commit to Clemens now, you commit to him for at least this season and the next one. If you're going to start him before he's ready to execute as the full time QB, you need to understand that it'll take time for him to be able to execute the gameplan and have success for all 4 quarters. Chad can be on a short leash. Not Kellen.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Bingo. :beer:

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

you know what,if Chad is ready to go the professional staff will name him starter,not Clemens. So that makes me better than you at this thread:rofl2:

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Playing and getting game experience is the best way. Not in a controlled scrimmage in practice. He played against the best D in the league and held his own. He doesn't have anything to face remotely close to the Ravens for the rest of the year. Let the kid play.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

And it makes the Jets worse on the field. Still waiting for you to tell me why he didn't go to the Superbowl when he had a great line and Hof running back. Don't have an answer for that one do ya? He had everything you just said he needs to win the big one and what did he do. NOTHING!

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

um doug brien missed 2 fgs when we had our best shot? Maybe?

I think you better get a direct line to Eric Mangini and co,because you seem to know something they don't. I would hate to see our season get flushed along with the future of the franchise all because you didn't get to share your expertise.

17. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I believe you guys were bitching about Herm and Bradway. They are gone so you moved on to a new scapegoat. Once Chad leaves who will it be? Back to the HC staff again, or will you invent a new biggest loser? :rofl2:

18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

318 votes? wow

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It seems like "DBust" is making a strong case to be next in line.

20. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

I agree 100% with you. No doubt I liked what I saw from Kellen in the 4th quarter, but if he plays like he did in the first 3 against Miami, we're not going to have a much of a chance to win. A healthy Pennington for 4 quarters is better than an inconsistent Kellen for 3. We can't rely on an improbable comeback each week...