Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Peparing a team to win in the future and evaluating the talent we have going forward is not tanking the season. You enjoy having a team with no chance to win a sb? Does that make you feel good?

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

LMAO,I think my ideal team with solid lines would get to the SB before your Clemens led team.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

1) The point is not to compare/contrast the players. Obviously, Manning is more physically gifted than Pennington, but he's also more physically gifted than anyone else in the game right now.

2) The point is, people believed Manning couldn't lead his team to the Lombardi. Anyone that denies believing he was never going to get over the hump is practicing some serious revisionist thinking. (Hell, even I did, and I like Manning.)

The fact is, until a player hangs up his cleats for the last time, you have no idea what his actual ceiling is.
    ----------------------

And I still want to see someone defend Clemens for throwing a ball that there was no way Coles was ever going to catch up to, that was intercepted. I know, it's far easier to make the point when you gloss over the evidence.

4. FOURTHANDLONG

Chad had a one of the best lines in Jet History with Mawae and a Hall of Fame Running back in Curtis Martin and Didn't get to the superbowl. My ideal team with solid line and a qb who plays like Clemens did in the 4th qtr who can move the defense of the line of scrimmage and scare a Ray Lewis led Defense would get to the Sb before a Chad led team.

5. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Oh yeah?

And what do you do with that same team in January that gets manhandled for 3 quarters?

Please. If Chad got blocking like Clemens did in the 4Q yesterday, he would have thrown to Coles, rather than JMac, and we'd be talking about an overtime game this morning.

6. Jetrik

Jetrik Well-Known Member

Wow, first post in a looong time. But I've been here watching you guys do your thing. Anyway, going by my post history and the pic to the left, I am a CP guy. This guy, in my opinion, suffers from the two shortfalls....that being the arm and the injury "proneness" (if that's even a word). I saw highlights yesterday of KC and from what I saw in the 4th qtr he indeed looked good. However, after all that CP has done and attempted to do for this team, we cannot let him lose his job because of injury, especially if it's a short term injury like this one. If he gets injured again though, that could become another story. I know we keep going back to the record, and you cannot argue it...yeah, we haven't gone deep into the playoffs, but the record doesn't lie. When he plays, he wins...until he doesn't he plays.

7. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Chad either has to lose his job or Clemens needs to win it. KC made some major strides towards winning the job yesterday and IMO earned the right to get another start vs the Phins.

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

sorry alio i firmly dissagree, while im not crowning Clemens, I strongly believe we do know what Penningtons ceiling is. good but not great. and we wont have a great team to surround pennington with for another 3 yrs. an by that time we'll be dealing with an even older, more injury prone, and weaker armed pennington.

point in case ive seen enough of pennington. just like i had seen enough of testaverde before he went down in JAX.

I could care a less who plays I want wins. but id have no problems with Clemens using this yr to learn.

otherwise he'll be equally inexperienced next year. you can only learn so much while holding a clipboard.

i wish best of luck to pennington and clemens whatever happens happens, its out of my control.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

Chad couldn't have made half the throws Clemens made yesterday and the defense would have played the receivers closer for lack of respect for his arm so forget it. Chad did get blocking with Mawaee and Crew and had Curtis Martin. What was his excuse then?

10. FOURTHANDLONG

And for the record it only took him one game to find the tight end for a T/D and he didn't throw all his passes to his boy (COLES), He threw it to his best receiver JERICO COTCHERY!

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

"JERICO"!!!!????

This gets better and better.

12. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Am I alone in wondering if Clemmens had to pop a few extra Advil this morning?

13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I'd start the Clemens era now. Not as an anti-Chad thing. More of an anti-Jet thing. Jets aren't winning the Super Bowl this season. While I do feel like they will turn their season around based on the schedule easing up a bit, the fact remains that if the Jets play to their potential, they still aren't winning anything this season. Based on that, it's time to get Clemens going. As seen yesterday, Clemens can throw. He's no doubt their future QB. Guys just don't make the Ravens look like that in the 4th qtr, in Baltimore, in their first career starts who aren't gonna be good. If they let Clemens start playing now, by the time next season comes, he'll be ahead of the the game. Now do I expect that to happen? No. I expect Pennington to play this coming weekend.

14. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

After watching NE dismantle SD yesterday, don't ya feel a little stupid sporting that ridiculous avater? no?

15. FOURTHANDLONG

The only evidence I need to see was a Ravens Defense back peddleing in the fourth Qtr against our Qb in his first start. I saw chad take it at a defense one time in five years and that was last week. Last week was to little to late.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

WOW! This poll is closer than I thought.

I voted for Pennington. I still think a completely healthy Pennington gives us the best chances to win... apparently Mangini does for the time being also.

That could change though.....

17. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

Do you really think he was lit up that bad? Granted he was hit a bunch of times and i have a new respect for his toughness..

But was he really blasted more than once or twice. I know the 1 backside blitz he got crushed but i dont remember any other plays he got leveled

18. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

I cant believe people are still on pennington's side

Did you not see how CLemens is a gunslinger with touch
    That pass to our TE in the corner of the endzone was a thing of beauty

19. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

We're forgetting how bad and green Kellen looked in the first three quarters. Is he the QB of the future? No doubt. Is he the QB for week 3? Only if Chad can't go...

20. Ryan

Ryan Banned

Exactly. He did not play well in the first three quarters. He overthrew a number of passes, and could not sense pressure in the pocket well, something I think Pennington could even do a little better. Clemens is the future, but I think he still needs time.