Offensive line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Sep 16, 2007.

1. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

Our line really is a major problem which I'm sure everyone knows. Is it a talent problem or just more time for the line to come together. In any event, we are going to be in for a long season with the line playing like this. Brick looks far removed from the 3rd pick overall and Kendalls departure looks like a major retard move on the jets part. Tanenbaum is so cheap he couldn't fork up a few hundred K more to keep Pete. Now this is coming back to bite us big time

2. Watch the tape on Brick....He was the lone bright spot for most of the day on the line.

Just b/c he went 4th overall doesnt mean he's responsible whenever the QB is sacked.

3. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Brick was solid today, no complaints from me.

That being said, we ran better behind the right side of the line.

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I agree, but I think that was mainly Clarke. A lot of the inside runs Jones just ended up running into Clarke's back rather than having Brick's man get him.

5. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

i wanna see bender in the game. enough is enough

6. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I agree, Clarke's been sub-par at best and I can't see Bender being much worse.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There were a couple of plays where the left side of the line just looked nonexistent. I'm thinking the 3rd sack of Clemens where he was hit from the left and behind simultaneously. I'm not sure I've ever seen a pocket collapse exactly like that before.

8. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

at least clarke recovered a fumble.....one of the few bright spots for our o-line today woot!

and i know it's easier said than done from a pedestrian viewpoint, but there were so many plays that i saw when TJ would run smack into a pile or into one of his own linemen's back while there was a huge hole just to the side of said pile/backup.....it didnt seem like he had the ability today to improvise and move laterally when the hole he's supposed to run through was plugged up. just a random observation that kinda irked me today

9. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

I think we've given up 8 sacks in two weeks. does anybody have the exact number?

10. NYJNYRNYM

NYJNYRNYM New Member

yeah i remember the announcers specifically pointing out that one play where there was literally no one on baltimore's right side of the defensive line and i cant remember what happened that play but im almost certain it was a loss or no gain...i think clemens passed it to coles on the left and he got nothing...so pathetic

11. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

brick was the bright spot???? :rofl2:

i believe suggs lined up across from him and clement....and suggs spent quite a while in the backfield today.

mangold played well, and moore had a nice block (and had the big whiff when that guy almost got the handoff instead of jones).

the offensive line sucks, and its not just 1 guy. clarke made a heads up play when he recovered TJs fumble. brick was mediocre at best. when youre the 4th pick and you perform the way he has, it means something. moore had an ok day, clement got beat by suggs just like brick (and he wasnt the 4th pick overall).

12. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I still don't know why Brandon Moore deserved an extension. He is inconsistent, at best, and a penalty-prone liability far too often (I know he doesn't have one this year, but he didn't go two games in a row without one last year.) I guess it's easier to fill one guard position instead of both, but I think we need two upgrades at guard.

13. Penn Is Mighty

Penn Is Mighty New Member

The line looked terrible, besides the 4th quarter, when Ravens went prevent and stopped applying as much pressure.

14. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

The Ravens were still blitzing until the end of the game

15. DCanadian

DCanadian Active Member

Just wondering what you guys thought about Moore's play so far, I haven't noticed him much.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It obvious most of the meat heads bashing Brick today did not watch closely.

I specifically kept an eye on Brick and he played his ass off. If he had a real LG next to him that side of the line would have been fine today.
    I saw two mistakes today, Ngata took him for a ride and he missed a chop block both on Jones runs.

Clarke sucks ass, as does the entire right side line. Whenever they overloaded that side forget about it.

Carry on bashing Brick though.................

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Ths is not directed atyou specifically but to all the posters who keep telling us how the OL sucked all day then was great in the 4th. You people do realize that just b/c a QB is sacked it does not mean th OL is responsible, right? Clemens had GREAT protection all game long, not good GREAT! he had more tme than he knew what to do w/ he just couldn't make the rightdecisons untl the 4th qtr. his early mistakes were from lack of experience, he caught on by the end of the game but he did kill us for 3 qtrs. It wasn't some magic OL formula that all of a sudden we were moving the ball in the 4th, it had to do w/ KC making QUICK, SMART decisions which he was NOT doing for 3 qtrs.

18. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I noticed that on i think it was the 4th sack that the O-Line held there blocks well but Clemens didnt know where to go and that was the reason he got sacked. I dont think i would say after watching the game that he had great protection, what about on that handoff in the 4th quarter? Ravens had 3 players in the backfield before he handed it off. On another sack Clemens hardly had anytime at all. I think it was a day mixed with good protection and very bad protection. Brick looked ok to me, Mangold did a nice job as usual, Clarke just looks bad plain and simple.

19. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

we've given up 9 sacks and have yet to generate a sack.

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You can't seriously blame our O-line for not generating a sack on defense??