Let's Settle This: Clemens or Pennington?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Penning10toColes, Sep 16, 2007.

?

If Pennington is healthy, who should start at QB next week?

1. Pennington

52.4%
  2. Clemens

47.6%
  1. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Member

What argument are you talking about?

2. Beamen

Beamen New Member

92-91... So basically... This thread settled nothing...

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

It proved that after 15 minutes of watching a Jets QB with real physical ability the light bulb went off in the heads of at least half the fans who think Chad is an NFL god.

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

clemens. he can make big plays happen. he's already clickin' with our receivers and he can handle the pressure, all the hits. he doesnt get flustered. he's on fire, leave him in there. he will do much better against average defenses

5. ........

........ Trolls

I'd love to see Clemens get some experience this year, but I also don't want to see Chad's Jets career over like this. I'd like to see him start for part of the season, followed by an offseason trade. I don't think anyone's desperate enough to pay a high price for him at this point in the season, and it's unfair to trade a guy midseason who did nothing to deserve it. And don't compare the situation to Charlie Frye. That's an insult to CP.

6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I vote Clemens. After seeing him bounce back and solve that talented, aggressive defense tonight, I'm not worried about the occasional rookie mistake he'll make. He clearly gives the offense a whole new dimension, and defenses will have to account for it. Once the WRs get used to him--velocity, timing etc.--we'll score more many more points than would be possible with Chad.

Plus we'll have one of the best backup QBs in the league!

If Mangini ends up starting Chad, I wonder why? I do think Mangini is a good smart coach, so what am I missing?

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Hey I'm with you bro... I've been following this team for as long as I can remember (admittedly, not that long, considering I'm only 19 years old) and outside of Vinny in 1998 and a few flashes afterwards, I haven't seen a QB in green and white who really looked like he could take this team on his back, no matter what issues the team is having, and carry them to a victory...

And even with Vinny, you had the feeling that the clock was ticking... In this case, you have that dynamic ability, to come back from down 3+ scores, to carry the load for the team, and the guy's whole career is ahead of him...

Hey, maybe he won't be great.... Maybe he'll just be a mediocre gun-slinger his whole career. But I think we can all agree that we are football fans because we are entertained by the sport.

So if we say that Chad and Kellen have a similar capacity as far as winning games on a regular basis goes, what comes next? That's entertainment value.... I will get my money's worth every game with Kellen as this team's quarterback... With Chad, if we're down, we're usually out.... With Kellen, we may not win, but he'll make it interesting....

Why delay the inevitable any longer?

8. SuperBowlPleez!

SuperBowlPleez! New Member

what do you think about us being 8 and 20 without chad???

9. Beamen

Beamen New Member

If I'm a dome team with a QB issue (Minnesota maybe? Atlanta?) I would definitely give up a mid-late 3rd round pick for Chad.... If he's proved one thing, it's that he can keep a team right around that .500 mark even with marginal talent/coaching.... A team that's building would definitely benefit from his presence...

10. ........

........ Trolls

Here's a better question:

Is there anyone who thinks Chad should be the Jets starter in 2008?

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Those have all been situations where Chad was our starter, and he went down, and we had to throw a guy into the fire who was never intended to see the field....

I guarantee you that if you look at every team in the NFL over the last 5 years or so, their records will all be pretty bad when their intended starter is injured....

12. SuperBowlPleez!

Let me ask you, what if Chad comes back and leads us to another playoff birth (hypothetically speaking of course). Does he start in 08?

13. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

Clemens looked very good late in the game... makes me want to see him against a bit less of a defensive team. But Pennington will definitely start if healthy.

14. Bizprof

Bizprof New Member

I think our backups in those days blew. What does that have to do with now? Or KC for that matter?

15. AnyGivenSunday

AnyGivenSunday Active Member

I think about the games started by the likes of Quincy Carter, Brooks Bollinger, and a 40+ year old Vinny T

16. SuperBowlPleez!

What im trying to say is that Clemens looked great in the fourth quarter, however im not ready to settle for Clemens just yet. there are plenty qb's with rockets for arms. Granted he showed poise against an unholy ravens defense and almost took us to overtime wich was excellent. These are the types of things i wanna see from the young boy. However the big conflict that I and so many other jets fans are facing is; "How do you oust a qb that has won so many games for you" regardless of his tendency to get hurt, the guy wins games. My point is its Chad's Job to lose. and this is the year where we will find out which direction we're going

17. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I like Clemens, but it's too early to make the move permanently. Chad has the respect of his teammates, and switching to Clemens permanently could kill the motivation of a lot of players. In my opinion, Penny starts at least the first quarter of the season (4 games in). After that, if we ever fall 3 games below .500 (1-4, 2-5, etc...), this becomes Clemens team for good.

18. ........

........ Trolls

No. I hope he does return. I hope he does lead us to another playoff berth. I hope he has success with his new team next season. We built our gameplan for Chad. We did not build our team for him to be as successful as he could be for another team (SD, Balt, Chicago, Minn). We need to move to Clemens in 08. I'll support the move sooner, but I'd rather see Chad come back and get one last run in green.

19. SuperBowlPleez!

Agreed. I'd love to see Chad lead us to the playoff's one more time and if Clemens is truly our qb of the future then that would be the best segue to kc

20. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Makes me want to see him throwing to a reciever who didn't wipe his ass with his hands before the game...