Pats Punishment is in!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan2004, Sep 13, 2007.

1. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

i knwo thats speculation, its my opinion

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'd never question that the Patriots are a great team, and shouldn't need to cheat. That's just silliness, mixed with malice.

However, being caught DOES tarnish the image, and Pats fans are starting to admit, which is fair IMO.

The fact is, we have no idea, and never will, whether the supposed cheating helped them win any games. The point I've been trying to make is that when caught cheating, you lose the benefit of the doubt, and therefore, all past possiblities work against you.

The Pats will lose a first rounder this year, let's be realistic. Would I like them to lose a 2nd and 3rd? Of course. I'm a Jets fan. It's doubtful it will happen though.

As Pats fans are saying, they don't need to cheat to win. On the other side of the argument, they should never have been cheating to begin with, and doing so casts the shadow of doubt across any and all previous games.

Could their possible cheating have affected the Super Bowls? Any honest Pats fan has to admit that they've been in some pretty close games in January, and amazing second-half adjustments were the key to winning. This is where the doubts arise. Like it or not, it's something you will have to deal with now. Your past success will be viewed just like Barry Bonds' past success. With a grain of salt.

3. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Well, we all saw what he did when he had to score a TD instead of driving 30 yards and letting the kicker handle it...

4. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Belichick's news conference was hysterical...

"Bill, the Commissioner agreed with you and said the tape was not used to gain an advantage during the game... Then why do it at all?"

"Well the Commissioner made a decision and let's just leave it at that... I'm here to talk about San Diego..."

Nice save, Bill, nice save!

5. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Thats a punishment Goodell? Spineless backroom dealers. That stinks.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I wonder how Philly fans feel and all the other teams that 'lost' to them in a SB?

7. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

Is that what Goodell meant? I took it as the act was intended to have an impact on the game & that it just didn't have that impact because of the score or when they caught him...

8. Coach K

Coach K New Member

they showed multiple players reactions on the NFL network. Donavan McNabb said, "if its not a big deal its not a big deal, I guess they can give us our rings back too"

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I wonder if TGG can file a civil suit against the Patriots and the NFL for the punishment. We, as Jets fans, were cheated. And, who is to say we would have lost the game. We will never know. The bottom line is, the Pats had an unfair competitive advantage.

Football was never predicated on cheating.

I hate the Patriots, but I always held high respect for them and their accomplishments. Now, I have no respect because their results may or likely have been attained by less than honorable means - cheating.

There was an old saying, "Cheaters never prosper". We will see if what goes around, comes around. I know this will not happen over night, especially from the loss of a draft pick, but hopefully this incident creates all of the long-term turmoil it should.

10. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

Unfortunatly, Goodell determined the tape he saw had no effect on the outcome of the game

11. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

doesn't mean the Pats didn't intend for it to have an impact on the game though

12. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Goodell has head head buried up somewhere........No team can pick up every blitz and also seem to blitz sucessfully on every play.

The Pats knew precisely what we were doing all the time.

I would think that would definitely influence the outcome of the game. Now, were the Pats good enough to beat us - sure, but we were not allowed to play on a fair field - on that particular day - our new cheerleading squad would have had just as much chance of winning as us.

13. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

i do not disagree with you. infact i agree. i was just stating what the commish said to the media

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Exactly! Ding ding ding we have a winner!

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I look at the punishment this way: When I woke up Monday morning, the Patriots had two 1st-Round picks. Now they've got one.

I'll be rooting for them to not make the playoffs, because I think late 2nd and 3rd Rounders outweigh one late 1st Round pick.

Either way, they've been labeled for what they are and we can sleep at night knowing they sure as hell aren't going to be spying on anyone anytime soon.

16. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Someone please explain to me how a tape still in the camera can help a team (first half). Or how a confiscated tape can help a team (second half). Unless it is also against nfl policy, it would seem sufficient to have someone in the booth with binocs focusing on the coaches and relaying the signals to the sidelines. seems much more immediate and probably just as efficient. i really can't see how video taping can be used during the game itself. It might help in preparing for the next time you face a team, I just don't see its immediacy.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The term tape is a misnomer. I would think the NFL and people BB had doing surveilance have evolved into the hi-tech age and the use of digital equipment is now in vogue.

#377 GreenHornet, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Thats the bottom line...and you know what? Thats pretty damn good. Patriot fan gets a bit cocky? Throw the ole C word around.

The fine is also nice because if he decides to upgrade his cheating equipment, he will have to take a loan instead...put BB on the ole payment plan...no payments until 2009.

The Patriots have now officially won no superbowls A.C. (AFTER CHEATING).

I will tell you this..they have a very very talented team..and will probably still go on and do great things this year...but how wild would it be if it were to get in their heads..and with other teams really gunning for them..if they tank a bit playing fair and square...that could be one of the great things to come out of this.

I doubt it...but boy oh boy....this could be a ton of fun.

19. gmfidelity

gmfidelity New Member

ignore the pats troll

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

They will be very tough on their own without the cheats, but you are right. It could be a lot of fun watching them collapse. Here's to hoping! :beer: