Belichicken Speaks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by EcKo151, Sep 13, 2007.

1. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Patriots coach Bill Belichick publicly addressed his and the team's fine, and its potential loss of a first-round draft pick, on Thursday night.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Asterisk.

2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I hope this hovers over his head all year! and he has a bad season or things start to go wrong for him letting people think ..Just maybe his cheating did give him an advantage!

3. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

This is the most unbelievable part of the statement. Really? A genius coach would risk all that he's suffered for ARCHIVING purposes?!?

I'm sure that's why they had a guy in Green Bay filming the coaches there since they play them so often... Oh wait, that's EVERY 4 YEARS. And those Lions, again played EVERY 4 YEARS.

Ridiculous, offensive and a flat-out lie.

May the football gods punish him and his team.

4. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I like Goodell's wording:

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

5. NYJetsMetsCTHuskies

NYJetsMetsCTHuskies Active Member

"As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week’s game."

Does anyone know if Goodell actually said this?

6. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

He is an ass's ass. 'nuff said.

7. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Yes he did.. It's part of the official letter he sent to the pats.. From what I've read from various AP reports atleast..

8. JohnVM

JohnVM New Member

Yes, the official release is as follows:

----------------------------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 13, 2007

BILL BELICHICK FINED $500,000 MAXIMUM;

PATRIOTS TO FORFEIT 2008 FIRST-ROUND DRAFT PICK
    IF THEY REACH THE PLAYOFFS OR 2ND AND 3RD-ROUND CHOICES;

CLUB FINED $250,000

New England Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick has been fined the maximum amount under the NFL Constitution and By-Laws of $500,000 for violating league policy last Sunday on the use of equipment to videotape an opposing team’s offensive or defensive signals, the NFL announced today.

In addition, Commissioner Roger Goodell also notified the Patriots that they would forfeit their own first-round draft choice in 2008 if they reach the playoffs, or their own second-round and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs, and that the club would be fined $250,000.

“This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,” Commissioner Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.

NFL policy states that “no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game” and that all video shooting locations for club coaching purposes “must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.”

In a memo to NFL head coaches and general managers on September 6, 2006, NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson said, “Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.”

In his review of the facts, Commissioner Goodell determined that the Patriots’ use last Sunday of the video camera, which was seized before the end of the first quarter, had no impact on the outcome of the Patriots-New York Jets game.

Commissioner Goodell also believes that Patriots ownership was unaware of Coach Belichick’s action, but determined that penalties should be imposed on the club because “Coach Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England’s football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club.”

Commissioner Goodell informed the Patriots that the NFL would closely review and monitor the Patriots’ coaching video program, effective immediately.

“I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick,” Commissioner Goodell wrote. “I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension.”

9. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Bullshit. Not using it for a competitive edge? Then why fucking do it??? This guy is unbelievable. I think he and Michael Vick should date.

Fuck Bellicheat

10. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by ChadPennington
    "As the Commissioner acknowledged, our use of sideline video had no impact on the outcome of last week?s game."

Does anyone know if Goodell actually said this?

Nitpicking heare, but actually the article from NFL com states:

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

Reached at his home, Patriots owner Robert Kraft declined to comment.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium.

The Jets issued a statement saying, "We support the commissioner and his findings. The focus of our organization remains on the upcoming game against Baltimore."

The NFL said the camera was seized before the end of the first quarter and had no impact on the game.

So the stern wording was apparently in the letter, but the NFL stated (perhaps in an auxiliary finding) that it didn't have an effect on the outcome of the game.

11. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I don't know if I agree with the way he went about justifying it, but I'm glad he at least considered it.

Pats got off so easy.

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He thought the Lions were a Super Bowl contender in 2006.

13. Warrior

Warrior Member

Classic Bellispeak :"... We have never used video to our competitive advantage while THE GAME IS IN PROGRESS. First, this is an admission that he used video to their competitive advantage when the game was not in progress. ie., he acknowledges he broke the rules to his advantage. And in keeping with his devious mind - is halftime considered 'while the game is in progress'. You can see it now - "what I meant was when the players were actually playing - I don't consider halftime to be part of the 'game in progress'..." Unbelievable.

This guy is so narcissistic and arrogant and absolutely shows no remorse. The commissioner blew this one big time. In essence he fined BB $500,000 for his actions - BB could care less about the $$. The commissioner should have hit him where it hurts - don't let him coach, ie. suspend his remorseless ass for at least 4 games. Very disappointed in this commissioner.

#13 Warrior, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  14. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

I like the fact that Goodell cares about off the field matters, but when they matter more than on-field matters which can destroy the credibility of the league, he loses me there.

15. BleedgreenIII

BleedgreenIII Member

I'm not the least bit surprised with his statement...he knows the NFL didn't do much against him/Pats after his 'gamesmanship'...he knows who is up against...the media and the public...big deal...

I bet he just got some info from a 2$ *** wiping her face after making her acquintance with LT, prior to making that statement...

#15 BleedgreenIII, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  16. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

When Bellichik says "We have never used sideline video to obtain a competitive advantage while the game was in progress. " he means that they wait till halftime to look at the video :).

17. MK1

MK1 Member

I wonder if mangini and bb shake hands at the end of the next game? That would be a media event LMAO

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

He just walks to the tunnel.

19. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

I wouldn't put it passed BB that he actually goes out to seek Mangini, and give him a huge hug like after the playoffs just to bust chops..

20. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

this isn't gonna hover anything. If anything that ass will be proud of himself that he's been doing this and yet he gets off so easy. Such bullshit.