Pats Punishment is in!!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan2004, Sep 13, 2007.

1. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

I agree I am a huge Jets fan and I think this punishment is rather stiff. I was suprised to see it be some much...happy but suprised. Some people are a little over the top with what they think the pats should get.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

are you really that much of a fool? The internation media incident is that the Pats are cheaters and nobody outside of chowder rooting has admiration anymore,rather they question everything now. I'd be embarrased to wear Patriots crap now

3. RichKotite

RichKotite Banned

The best thing about this..........
    .........the better the Pats do......... the less the punishment!!!

If they win the Super Bowl, they lose the 32nd pick!!!!!

Nobody wants late first round picks anyway, because you end up paying first round money for a player that you can probably get in the second round.

LOL ..........It's great to be a Pats fan.

You guys ought to try it.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

the real punishment is the tarnished reputation

5. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Shut the heck up.

6. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

From the NY Times. FYI to all those (including the masstrolls) who think this was a slap on the wrist:

The league?s ire with a team that has won three Super Bowls in six years and that until last week was considered a model of success was obvious in the unprecedented severity of the punishment. No coach has ever been fined such a large amount. And no team has ever lost a first-round draft pick in discipline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/14/sports/football/14patriots.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

TBTF

7. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

This ruling is a steaming pile result of a million elephants with diarrhea. The 500k for BB and especially the 250K for the franchise is like 20 bucks in one of our pockets. I'm sure they'll really care about losing that 1st round pick when they have 3 fraud SB rings to show for it. How on earth is BB not suspended for at least 4 games(should be 1 season+) and why are the Patriots still credited with the Week one "win"?

Goodell dropped the ball on this oen

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

please provide proof that he "ratted" out the Pats. If you cannot then I expect this to be your last post like this...

9. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

So bogus, check this out from John Clayton
    Here's the problem with Goodell's decision. Whether by design or not, the Patriots had themselves covered for such a penalty because they are so good at what they do. They acquired the 49ers first-round pick in a trade that enabled the 49ers to select Joe Staley. They have an additional third-round pick from the Raiders in a trade. They have enough draft choices to survive the loss of one first-round choice.

10. chris66

chris66 Member

Dont be surprise if the pats use the no respect card again. you know BB will use this to his advantage anyway he can

11. Cremmins

Cremmins New Member

Now that the penalty is over and done with, what happens if the Pats win the SB? You will still come up with excuses of why we shouldn't have won.

This whole thing will be forgotten about as soon as someone else in the NFL does something stupid. With the exception of the week the Pats and Jets play next, I will be curious to see how many times this issue gets mentioned on this board the rest of the season.

12. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I just signed on and didnt see anything related to this; so I start a thread and after I post it boom its already started.
    Just as I thought a slap on the wrist for Crafty and his boy! At least we can be sure they wil loose that first round pick! Always remember revenge is always best served cold! Its real cold in Dec 16th will be very cold!

13. chris66

chris66 Member

thats because Goodell stated that the tape had no bearing on the outcome of the game

14. ........

........ Trolls

I'm disappointed with the punishment, but that's only because I'm a Jets fan. I'd love to have seen a stricter punishment, but it wouldn't have been realistic. What John Clayton (and the bitter victims here, myself included) seem to forget is that you can't levy punishment based on the team. It's based on the action. The punishment fit the crime, as would suspension. I agree that the draft pick hurts the Pats more than a suspension would have this season. It sucks that the team has an extra 1st rounder, but you can't really factor that into the punishment if you're the NFL.

I have 2 issues that could be important:

1) Bob Kraft tries to pass himself off as an upright and important owner. Goodell claims Kraft was unaware of Bill's actions. That means Bill acted against Kraft's franchise. If he's really an upright owner and interested in protecting the integrity of his franchise, he'll suspend (or fire) Belichick himself. Does he do it? Doubtful. He and his franchise lose any claim to integrity as a result.

2) This punishment applied only to the videotaping. We know that there are allegations of other forms of wrongdoing, including in several playoff victories. There have also been former Patriot employees coming forward over the past few days. The possibility exists for further accusations and punishments. I wouldn't be surprised to see media members and team employees lean on former Pats employees to try to dredge up other cases. We might not see the end of this.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

The fact that the Pats have another first round pick this year doesn't really fit in to the equation at all. IMHO that shouldn't have been taken into account in the decision. The punishment should fit the crime, not the perpetrators ability to "recover" from the punishment.

What I don't like is the fact that the decision seems awfully early to me. They couldn't have had much time to interview people to get to the entire bottom of the story. Were there anything to the radio transmission reports or not? And if there is more to this radio tapping (I'm not claiming I'm just asking) wouldn't it make sense to do some investigation prior to the announcement. Also, perhaps they should have done some more investigations to see if there was any more proof of this being more than a one-time thing (more testimony from the Pack and others in the past).

It's not like the announcement of these punishments couldn't have been
    delayed. They waited until Vick plead guilty to dole out his
    sanction.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Forgotten by you. Forgotten by fans. Not forgotten by the teams the Patriots have to play this season. Bill acknowledged in his statement that the signals were to be used for future games. Every AFC team on the Pats' schedule now has to work to reconfigure its signal calling. That means extra prep work which leaves less time to prepare for actual opponents. That gives the Pats at least 2-3 weeks of advantage.

The theft along the radio waves hasn't gone away yet, either...

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

It will be mentioned quite often. Why just last week, someone brought up a pass interference call on Justin Miller from the Colts-Jets game of 10/1/06. (It was the correct call, by the way, as defined in the league's official rulebook. Miller definitely interfered with Reggie Wayne's ability to catch the ball.) If people are still going to bitch about something like that, you better believe this Patsy thing will not blow over.

Noel Devine and Steve Slaton combined stats- 31 carries, 275 yards, 3 TDs

18. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Sounds like they got off EASY... EASY I say.

Why? The $ is no issue.. Really, it's just the price of doing business.

The pick? If they win the super bowl, they lose pick #32.. yippee..

And what do the Jets get for being screwed? Squat.

19. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Theres only one thing to do....

[​IMG]

Forget about it, and move on.

Clemmens v. Boller on Sunday, 1-1, Get it back by winning up there, just like last year.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

So if they confiscated the tape in the fourth quarter of the game and the game turned out 21-17 then the suspension would have been longer? I like the wording:

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.