The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread (Merged 21x (ugh))

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenMachine, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

POSTED 7:18 p.m. EDT, September 13, 2007

BELICHICK TO BE SUSPENDED?

Don Banks and Peter King of SI.com report that the NFL is considering the possibility of stripping a first-day pick from the New England Patriots, and also suspending coach Bill Belichick.

League sources told SI.com that Commissioner Roger Goodell has not yet decided on a punishment. The determination will be announced on Friday.

One option that has been ruled out is forfeiture of Sunday's 38-14 win over the Jets.

Goodell is attempting to balance the punishment between the organization and Belichick. The draft pick that is taken from the team could be a first-rounder selection, and a multi-game suspension could be imposed on Belichick.

what the fuck is the point of suspending that fucker for one or two games

2. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

Fair enough. Anxious to set the penalty and get back to football. The Pats will continue to kick some, regardless of this.:up:

3. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Suddently I can't wait for tommorrow.

TBTF

4. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I want them to lose their 1st rounder as well as suspending Belli. Remember that they have two, and the first is from San Fran, i think. That pick can't be taken away, so they are still going to have a VERY high pick in the draft...

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

yes. filler

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

7. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Plus I want an NFL endorsed commercial with Belly and the Man...

Someone?s laughing, Lord, kumbaya
    O Lord, kumbaya

8. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

meh, 500k, a couple of picks, & 1 or 2 games is kind of weak here with those kind of fines it should be at least a mil, the picks, and a month or 2 off.

9. 3rdandlong

3rdandlong Member

I posted somewhere else about my thoughts..there needs to be some sort of parole period...

10. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I love how more and more players are coming forward. This just doesn't seem to end. Hopefully, they'll look at some of the old videos and check.

Pats' Spy Flap Has Eagles Wondering
    By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
    2 hours ago

PHILADELPHIA - Sheldon Brown and the Eagles hoped a blitz would rattle Tom Brady. One problem: Every time the Eagles rushed Brady in the Super Bowl, the Patriots nullified the defensive attack with screen passes. Lots of them. On almost every play defensive coordinator Jim Johnson called for a blitz, the Patriots used the short pass to confuse the Eagles.

After the Patriots beat the Eagles 24-21 in 2005 to win the Lombardi Trophy, Brown thought the Patriots beat them with nothing but sharp offensive playcalling. Now, he's not so sure.

With spying accusations leveled this week against the Patriots, some of the Eagles left from the NFC title team are wondering if New England used bootleg film to their advantage in the Super Bowl.

"Do I think about it? Mmm hmmm," said Brown, their starting cornerback. "It's crazy. I just don't know how far back it goes. Something's not right about that."

Pro Bowl safety Brian Dawkins found the accusations troublesome.

"Now there's always going to be questions about the situation," Dawkins said Thursday. "Was it great adjustments at halftime or what?"

Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward said this week that he suspected the Patriots had some type of inside information on the Steelers before at least one of the teams' two AFC championship game matchups since the 2001 season. While Ward said the Patriots knew a lot of Pittsburgh's calls, none of the Eagles could offer any type of solid proof of any shenanigans.

"For me to think back two years ago about something they may or may not have done, it's not worth my time," running back Brian Westbrook said.

New England beat the New York Jets in last Sunday's season opener in which an on-field video camera allegedly focusing on Jets coaches was confiscated from a Patriots employee. The league confirmed that it is investigating whether coach Bill Belichick and the Patriots were responsible for taping the Jets' defensive coaches as they signaled to players on the field.

"I would like to think it's just one team doing it, but it doesn't shock me that it happened," Dawkins said.

Some Eagles said occasional signal-stealing is an accepted part of the game. But they believe what the Patriots are accused of doing crosses the football morality line because it threatens the integrity of the game.

"It's different if you're talking about recording it," Dawkins said. "What can you do if you try to signal a play in?"

Eagles coach Andy Reid steered away from questions about the alleged cheating other than to say he has no doubts New England's victory was legitimate.

"That's something Bill and the Patriots are working through," Reid said.

Brown said he noticed a difference in New England's playcalling in the second quarter. After the Patriots gained only 45 yards in the first quarter, they had 286 over the next three.

Brady hit running back Corey Dillon and gained 29 total yards on a pair of screens to open New England's first full drive of the second quarter. They didn't score on that drive, but did on four of the next five drives.

The Patriots went to the screen pass again on the decisive drive early in the fourth quarter, this time with Brady connecting with Kevin Faulk on two passes for 27 yards.

"I was like, 'Man, I never saw that many screens," Brown said.

Brown wonders if it was normal playcalling from a team good enough to win three Super Bowls in four seasons, a Patriots team that used a strong scouting report to gain a fair edge, or was somebody picking up the Eagles defensive calls from a sideline camera that deprived them of a fair shot?

"I think they should forfeit, man," said punt returner Reno Mahe, smiling. "We won the Super Bowl. I think we should get it. I'm going to go trade my NFC championship ring for a Super Bowl ring."

The headline over a picture of Belichick on the back page of Thursday's Philadelphia Daily News might have said it all: "Counterfeit RING: Spy Scandal Helps Explain Birds' Super Bowl Loss."

Hey, maybe the illicit tape would show once and for all if Donovan McNabb really did get sick in the huddle late in the game. Remember, that was Philadelphia's first excuse for losing.

McNabb _ who insisted the Eagles would never stoop to those kind of tactics _ was surprised to hear the allegations against the Patriots. But he said the suspicions might be overblown.

"One thing people are forgetting is that even if you have the answers to the test, you still have to take the test," he said. "If they have an idea of what's coming, those guys still have to be able to execute the play."

That doesn't mean McNabb won't clear some space in his jewelry box. For a city that last saw a pro team win a championship nearly 25 years ago, the Eagles might accept a retroactive one.

"Maybe we'll get our ring back," said a chuckling McNabb. "Maybe we'll get the real one."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Why? Looking to cut your losses?

Backpeddling again, moving your own defensive goal posts, as before?

Adjusting to (what was before) "no big deal?"

Truth be known, no. I wouldn't be satisfied. I think Goodell makes a mistake were he to levy the above penalties and sends the wrong message if the penalty is that light.

I'm not interested in having Belicheat spend his own money on fines. The dispicable Kraft will simply give him a bonus come Christmas time to compensate it. And I think taking away a high draft pick isn't severe enough either.

Send him over here to Jersey, to the Rahway Correctional Facility for several months, and give him a black silk negligee to wear every night at bedtime. Maybe I might come close to considering that just punishment.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I say no that is not satisfactory. The guy has been cheating for years now and has ruined the integrity of the sport. A player gets caught doing roids he is suspended four games for a first offense, that should be the minimum suspension. If Kraft had any integrity whatsoever he would fire CheaterBill on the spot..

13. Section 227. Row 5

But Vision, you're assuming Kraft has integrity.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

No I'm not, that is why I know that would never happen but IF he was the classy man he has always been portrayed to be, the second the NFL confirms this he should be fired.

15. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

I think Broadway Joe should be the in-house announcer at Gillette for the next meeting...

16. BigGorilla

BigGorilla New Member

What happened in Super Bowl III

My brother was told at work "I'm being informed that I cannot complain
    because the jets were accused of stealing plays in super bowl III - ever
    hear of that? "
    I don't remember that - what was the story ?

17. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

I don't understand, how can they not forfeit a game where they were caught cheating red handed?

18. Section 227. Row 5

This is probably where we differ. I've never considered Kraft to be "classy."

In fact, I've always considered him to be the manipulative, cunning, power-grabbing, arrogant, classless, over-wealthy-and-knows-it imbecile that he has always been.

In no way would he ever compare to many, many of the old NFL owners around the league, Leon Hess and Wellington Mara not withstanding. They were old school and had integrity and tons of class. Kraft has none of that and would never know that kind of class if it hit him in the forehead.

19. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous.

Belichik Fined 500K Team 250K, 1st rounder lost if make playoffs, 2nd and 3rd if not.

F*ng BS.

Guess, a coach distributing HGH, is worse than outright cheating

Even Woodson is surprised he didnt lose a game.

#540 Hobbes3259, Sep 13, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.