Who is excited for Kellen Clemens?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Sep 13, 2007.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Stole the words right out of my mouth.

I wouldn't call this the start of the Clemens Era just yet, as I think by Week 3 Chad will be the starting QB against Miami. However, like I said earlier in the week, Clemens is QB for the Ravens game, and he has my support.

The Ravens defense will be a very different one that played against San Diego, so I don't know how well Clemens will do, but I hope he does just enough to get us the win.

2. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Exactly like Chad.

3. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

One of the stupidest quotes I have ever read.

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I hope JETFIGHTERS meant that with an injured Chad out there, that we have no chance. That's more sensible then saying Kellen is better than Chad, because at this point in time, that's not the case.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Either way, if Clemens is any good we'll be able to see it right off the bat. There is no excuse for going 6-10 and learning, good QBs step in and win. I expect no less from Clemens than I do from Chad if people think he's going to be the starter for any length of time. The only reason we stuck with Bollinger for so long in 2005 was that we had no other options, that will not be the case this time. Coaches aren't going to tolerate it.

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I do believe Peyton Manning had a horrible first season. If he had the luxury of taking his lumps then Clemens should have the same luxury. I really don't know what people were expecting Chad to do this year. Be mediocre like he has been the last five.

7. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I'm not responsible for it. there was another thread where they started making one up for Jets fans to use and this was the finished product. There is a few guys on the board with it already.

:pats_suck:

8. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

Kellen will have a great game. he will manage it well if they can keep him off his back...the D needs to show up...

9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

In all fairness to Chad, when healthy, he is better than mediocre. He's actually very good. Rating wise a top 10 to 12 type guy. He has his limitations (arm, injury history) and his positives (touch, decision makeing)

After 2002 I thought we had the next Joe Montana. I had visions of a smart QB without the prototype arm leading the Jets to SB victories. That never materalized due to injurys and some would say poor coaching/ Front office moves.

Fast forward to 2007. We now have an oft injured starter, still without the arm, still smart as hell. No Superbowl to show for it, but a very effective dink and dunk QB when healthy.

Kellen will not get time to take his lumps because of who he's attempting to replace. Chad is still good when he plays and gives the Jets a chance to win every game he's in. Unless Kellen can provide the same, if not better, QB play, he's going back to clip board duty this season

10. Italian Seafood

Manning was a rookie on a team so bad they had the #1 pick overall. Clemens is in his second year in the same offense on a team that was 10-6 and in the playoffs last year. I expected Chad to play well enough to give us a shot to get back to the playoffs, whether the Pats go 14-2 and we're fighting for a Wild Card or if we have a chance at the division. If Clemens plays I expect the same from him, I would think the coaches do too.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Peyton Manning took a 3-13 team to... 3-13 the next year.

Carson Palmer took an 8-8 team to... 8-8 the next year.

Drew Brees took a 5-11 team to... 8-8 followed by 4-12.

Steve McNair took an 8-8 team to... 8-8, followed by... 8-8.

Warren Moon took a 2-14 team to 3-13 then next year.

I could go on forever.

There are very few QB's who have stepped right in and won big in the NFL as a young first time starter. Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, you know the guys with rocket-powered arms and great leadership ability.

Troy Aikman anybody? 3-13 before he got there to 1-15 his first season as a starter.

Jim Kelly? Want to guess?

12. Italian Seafood

Those guys were all high #1 picks in whom the teams had a lot invested, all played well enough individually to keep their jobs, and were on teams that had not been to the playoffs. In Moon's case it was a huge contract to come back from Canada to play for a horrible Oilers team.

It's very simple, if Clemens plays, he better play well if he wants to stay in there. Pennington is a proven winner and there's two other QBs on the roster. I'm rooting for him, but if you think we're going to settle for a 6-10 year just to evaluate one player, you're going to be disappointed.

13. Br4d

There's a real chance we get that 6-10 year regardless of who is in there right now.

It'd be a real shame if we lost the opportunity to evaluate Clemens while that was happening.

14. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

If we have a 6-10 season more than just the Qb Position will be evaluated.

15. Italian Seafood

That's the spirit!

I want the best chance to win, period.

Funny how the same people who think the second round of the playoffs with Pennington wasn't good enough are now ready and willing to eat a 6-10 season just to get their boy in there. Seems prety backwards to me. If Clemens is good, we won't go 6-10 with him in there.

16. Br4d

I post about reality. Sorry, it's a fault of mine.

17. Italian Seafood

Everyone is evaluated every game regardless of the record. My point is the coaches are not going to stick with a guy who isn't getting the job done just because he's a young QB. Not when they have other options. Hopefully if Clemens plays he moves the team well enough that it's not an issue.

18. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I am one of the biggest Penny supporters you may find...having said that, I am excited to see what Clemens can bring. I know that Penny wants to be out there, and he probably could battle his injury and will himself to make it out on the field, but Mangini knows that its in his best interest to rest.

As for Clemens, he will need to have one hell of a game to unseat Pennington as the starter. Even with that, I think he will need more then 1 week to show he deserves the reigns to this football team. Pennington most likely will return as the starter, but if this season starts going nowhere and we approach 7 loses before we reach 5 wins,the rest of the season should and will be turned over to the future, Kellen Clemens.

Good luck to KC, may he make the names Clemens a household name in NY. (not Roger)

19. Italian Seafood

How is what you're saying any more "reality" than what I'm saying?

20. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

it exciting for him but not the Jets. if he takes over for a long period of time we can kiss the playoffs goodbye