The Patriots sign-stealing / radio scandal - Official Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MayoGate, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Draft picks = cap $$$$$, there is no way for that to be equitable, unless you give the jets a portion of the salary cap to maintain those players, but that punishes the entire league not just the pats.

2. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think the NFL is the primary party that this can hurt. sure it is a loss for the jets, and it wasnt pretty. but this kind of shakes the foundation and one of the core principles of sport. play clean and play hard.

goodell is going to have to make a major statement with this. he holds players accountable for their actions and how that affects the NFL...he really needs to have the same iron fist with management.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey Hobbs, you should change your sig to 'The Patriots' 12th man is videotaping the Jets sideline'.

4. JeRSeY KiD 3

JeRSeY KiD 3 New Member

Bunch of bums.

5. Hobbes3259

That was one of the things i thought of, but realistically, there has to be an equitable solution for the team that was wronged.

the Pats should be stripped of the points they scored after the half. And the Jets awarded 2 points to break the resulting 14-14 tie.

6. Hobbes3259

Thats what the Best Buy crack implies......I need some one to make my sig with Bellichicken in a geek squad uniform

7. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

i think the best ending of this situation would be for goodell to determine exactly how much the patriots were caught stealing (whether it was just the video taping, tapping into radio frequencies, etc.) and then based on that, suspend any part of the patriots coaching staff for a certain period of time, anywhere from one game to a month, whatever is necessary depending on how bad the evidence is.

and because i dont want to accept a forfeit victory against a division rival like that, i think in a perfect world the jets should be able to have a rematch against the patriots during the time where the suspensions were being served. not that i think this would happen tho..

8. abyzmul

:up: Forgive me, the flu and a Jets loss usually combine to slow me down.

9. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I agree with everything, except the Jet comp part. This would set a precident and Minn, Det, Denver etc would be lining up looking for compensation too. One could argue there's evidence now...
    I want to know just how extensive this evidence is, could be some comp if NE was holden everything on the Jets.

10. Phyr

Phyr Member

9/9 NEVER FORGET

We need a Pats cheating smilie ASAP

11. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

It's been easy for you to be be a "respectful Patriots fan" on this board all these years while things were going good for your team, but now that nobody respects your pack of cheaters you decide to leave? Haha...I love it.

Patriots = The Barry Bonds of the NFL

And it's not just Jets fans that feel this way...go visit any team's message board and see for yourself.

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Any talk that we might get their first round pick next year as punishment?

TBTF

13. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i think were all getting a bit carried away with punishments and blame.

i agree that the punishment should benefit the jets in some fashion since it was against us that this all came to light. but getting into removing points and stuff is over the top to me.

i think the league, realistically can take a 2 and a 5 from the pats....maybe lower, but who knows. this is kind of unprecidented.

BB needs to bear the brunt of this first and foremost. be it suspension for X amount of games, a full season, or removal from the league (never happen). the next thing needs to be a fair solution for the team that this was against (the jets). if that is getting picks from the pats, or getting the W for week 1...who knows.

i dont think that any fan of the jets can be a objective in this case. i mean, its a huge rivalry and as fans we are emotionally invested.

hopefully RG takes to this the same way he took on vick and pacman. he needs to hold firm that the NFL isnt run by a pussy anymore, and that you are accountable for what you do.

14. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Patriots losing picks is better for everybody, means all the other teams have slightly better choices at NE's expense.

Meh, we might not get anything out of it, but at least the Patriots will be hurt bad

fact is, we're not the only one victimized by Belichickens cheating. we're just the only one's to really catch them red handed

15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

please don't do this.

16. Hobbes3259

In Boxing, if it is determined post-fight that one player was cheating, how is that handled?

Draft picks, does not address the actual wrong here.

Nor does cap-strapping

Nor does a hefty suspension.

One Organization, has been caught cheating.

The other has lost something it cant get back.

17. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Great article that captures the fact that Belly is scumbaggery personified. Fcck You BELLY!

TBTF

18. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i agree with everything except the boxing part. you cant compare because football is a team sport, and boxing is just a much different set of circumstances.

i think a big part that will help RG make a decision will be this who radio frequency thing. if they can prove that the pats were listening in i think thats even worse than the guy videotaping the defensive signals. this would put the competition at an insurmountable disadvantage.

i guess we will see after BB sees RG on friday.

19. abyzmul

Dynasty*

20. Hobbes3259

Those that think a forfeit is too harsh consider this.

If the Pats were forced to forfeit the week one game, AND the Jets were awarded the the next matchup at home, as compensation, the patriots COULD
    even out the punishmet by winning the second game, FAIRLY, and the Jets organization would walk away with the revenue from the extra home game.

Someone explain to me how that is unfair to anyone else. The Pats lose 1/8th
    of their reg season revenue, by having to refund it out. The Jets pick up an equal share by selling those tickets, and the team can negate the ill effects of the forfeit, by winning on the field.

But the NFL office will screw the Jets, and talk tough on NE.

Write it down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.