Everett May Walk Again in Weeks

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Pam, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Bills' Kevin Everett Injury Thread :( May be able to walk again

Bills' Everett injures spine; Webster, Simpson, Wire also hurt
    Associated Press
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012007
    Updated: September 9, 2007, 5:24 PM ET

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Kevin Everett was in a hospital under observation for a cervical spinal injury after the Buffalo Bills tight end was knocked cold and taken off the field in an ambulance Sunday.

Coach Dick Jauron provided no further update on Everett's status following the Bills 15-14 season-opening loss to Denver. And Jauron wouldn't say whether the player regained consciousness on the field or en route to the hospital.

Everett fell immediately to the ground and showed no signs of consciousness after a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half. Everett was placed on a backboard with his head and body immobilized, and carefully loaded into an ambulance at the Broncos 30.

The game was delayed for about 15 minutes, and the Bills gathered at the sideline while doctors attended to the player.

Everett's injury was the most severe, but far from the only one sustained by Bills players during the game.

Starting free safety Ko Simpson is out indefinitely after breaking his left ankle. Starting cornerback Jason Webster is out indefinitely after breaking his forearm in the fourth quarter. And then there's linebacker Coy Wire, filling in for injured starter Keith Ellison, who sprained his knee in the first quarter.

Simpson was hurt when he had his feet cut out from beneath him by teammate Jason Webster as the two were attempting to tackle Broncos receiver Javon Walker. Simpson fell immediately to the ground and was unable to put any weight on his left foot.

Team trainers were forced to lift the player onto the cart and he was taken for X-rays.

Buffalo's fourth-round pick in the 2006 draft, Simpson started 15 games last season, and was a member of the NFL's youngest safety tandem, playing alongside rookie first-round pick Donte Whitner.

Third-year player Jim Leonhard took over for Simpson.

Wire was examined on the sideline, but made his way to the locker room on his own. Reserve Mario Haggan replaced Wire.

It's unclear when Webster was hurt. The Bills had signed the seven-year NFL veteran last spring to take over as starter after losing Nate Clements to San Francisco in free agency.

The injuries were the latest blows to an already banged-up and young defense that was starting four players with less than two years of NFL experience. Buffalo also lacks experienced reserves at defensive end, with Ryan Denney out indefinitely with a broken left foot and Anthony Hargrove suspended for the first four games for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Wow, hope everything is ok. I hate when any player gets hurt.

2. allan1

allan1 Active Member

FOX just reported Everett was taken into emergency surgery. Very scary, I hope he pulls through with no permanent injuries.

3. hermitkid

hermitkid New Member

Just curious, Lynch has a reputation... who was it that laid the hit?

4. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

Not good prayers and thoughts with him in his family.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Domenik Hixon

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Spinal surgery apparently going on right now. Good luck to him.

7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Ugh. I didn't hear about this until right before the Giants game started. Turns my blood cold and it's very distressing. I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw that. I hope there's good news to be had here.

8. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

According to buffalo news Everett is in ICU recovering from surgery. He had two cracked vertibrate (I believe they said in his neck).

9. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Jeez that is horrible.

I loved him at Miami, and for anybody to go through this is simply sad...

I hope he can walk again, much less play football.

10. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I hope he can walk again, much less play football, for anybody to go through this is simply sad................ stolen from ecko

11. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Hopefully, the spinal cord itself wasn't damaged, I hope he makes a full recovery. my thoughts immediately turn to dennis byrd when something like this happens.

12. Tight

Tight Active Member

I hope for a full recovery may jesus be with you Kev.

13. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

For real, my thoughts and prayers go out for Everett's recovery.

14. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i already heard on ESPN this morning. theyre reporting partial paralysis and the doctors said it could take weeks or even months before they see the full extent of the injuries he suffered.

they did report he has feelings in his extremeties although moving is obviously not an option at this point.

16. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

That's a shame - good luck to him.

17. wexy

wexy Member

That's really bad news.

18. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I saw the hit and it didn;t look that bad, he just got popped then fell flat on his face....

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

have you ever played? that hit looked horrible. you can tell on impact his back/neck bent back far too much for the position he was in. and by the way he falls you can tell he shut down at the moment of impact.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Mike Golic said the hit looked very bad when he saw it.