Where were you during the "Fake Spike"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scruggy, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Joe Will E 69

Joe Will E 69 New Member

at the game hoping it would snow that night so i didnt have to go to school the next day

2. TheFactor

TheFactor New Member

leaving the game early... my annoying friend wanted to go home... we were like 10

3. Gator

Gator Active Member

Good topic. Mine is pretty funny.

I had went to every game that season. I missed that one because I went to Jamaica with my family. I was landing that day and planned on watching it when I got home as I had set the VCR. So the plane lands, and for some reason the freaken pilot says the score over the PA system on the plane. I didn't know the particulars so when I got home I called my friend who I go to the games with (pre cell phone days) and asked what happened
    He goes..."I don't wanna talk about it" LOL

Then I saw the replay like 50 times that night on every channel. Thank god I missed that game. Never watched the tape.

4. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

i was 9 years old in sec 236, my still has the stub im sure, a 9yr old shouldnt have to be exposed to that lol

5. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

by dooming pete carrol do u mean him leaving the nfl and becoming one of the most successful college coaches, i dont feel to bad

6. Pride

Pride New Member

I think I was eating crackers, It sucks being only 6 yrs old at the time

7. slowmoe57

slowmoe57 New Member

In a sports bar in Houston -- Pumped up as hell for it was one of the biggest games in a long time - or so it felt anyway -- pounding down beers and enjoying the lead when the wheels started to fall off -- Had that uneasy queasy feeling as they slowly came back -- and the fake spike happened so fast I was just dumbfounded -- fortunatly there were no Dolphin fans around this day and most of the patrons actually felt my pain -- afterall they were mostly Houston fans - my wife and then 1 year old son pick me up and we go to dinner -- It was a very long and depressing afternoon
    after that game our record was 4-32 over the course of the next 2 1/2 seasons -- this was only the beginning of what was yet to come

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

At my parents' house in NJ getting ready to drive to Maryland. Eight hours of traffic after the worst Jets game ever. One of the most miserable days of all time. Thanks for bringing it up.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I was sitting in sec 125 like I do for every Jets home game.I was frustrated and disappointed just like everyone was after that game.Bad memories indeed.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

ugh, I was at Poor Billy's, it was one of those days you just never forget. I remember the one Dolphin fan in the place sitting at the bar yelling and screaming after the play. I never wanted to smash a bottle over someones head as I did to that Dolphin fan.

thankfully we later got revenge for the fake spike with the Midnight Miracle.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I left the Monday Night Miracle after the 3rd quarter. If I hadn't I would have strangled the Dolphin fan in front of us with his own Zach Thomas jersey.

12. allan1

allan1 Active Member

Wishing death on Dan Marino, it's a shame he's still alive

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Does this mean we will be discussing old Patriots-Jets games two weeks from now?

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I was watching the game sitting on my computer chair. As the play happened I broke the arm rest cover off of the arm rest and threw it on the ground smashing it into 3 pieces.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Sounds like your mom was watching A Bronx Tale. Much better argument for a 19 year old to yell about midterms than rent, though.

I was on my way back to NY after delays trying to get out of California for Thanksgiving. The game was being recorded by our old VCR Plus. Found out what happened at JFK when we landed. It was even worse when I actually watched it, knowing what was about to happen.

16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I was at home, alone, in a dark bedroom. And when it was over, I turned off the tv and sat there, my head hanging down and staring at nothing.

I prefer reminiscing over the motel room at Myrtle Beach, watching Raul Allegre kick the GW FGs at the end of regulation and OT to beat the fish in '91 and make the playoffs at 8-8. Now that's more like it, must think happy thoughts :)

17. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

watching it trying not to commit suicide..

18. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

i was in bloomfield NJ at my best friends house watching it in his living room. were both jets fans...when that happened we both yelled, gasped, and then hung our heads. it was a real "you know youre a jets fan" moment...i was 14 or 15 at the time....cant remember....the next time i remember us winning a game was the cards the next year...

19. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I was there with my dad and uncle and being only about 15 at the time I didn't quite understand the magnitude of what happened. It didn't really hit me until in the follwoing 2 seasons we only won 4 games and I happened to be at the only one we won in 96/97 when I was visiting my dad in Phoenix for the weekend. When you watch the team go 4-28 over a 2 year span that is when the magnitude of the spike really set in.

Thank god Parcells came in here and followed by Groh and even Herm and Mangini have continued the tradition started by Parcells in owning the fish. I think if you throw oout Parcells 1st year we are something like 14-4 against Miami with Miami getting swept like 6 of those 9 years.

20. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

First game I ever went to as well.

Section 322 Row 8 Seat 10

I'll always remember the taste of a little puke in my mouth.

I still refuse to talk about Dan Marino to this day, because I don't talk about losers.