Are Pats receivers REALLY that much better?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hobbes3259, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Welker because of his QB and O-line, not because he is a better WR (or at least has not shown it up to this point)...and he will also be the number 2 receiver for most of the game because Randy will be limited.

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Serious question, I know for a long time it was said that no QB had ever beaten Belichick's Patriots when facing them for the second time in a single season. Was Chad's win there last year the first to break that rule or had someone else done it before?

3. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I disagree with everything the thread creator posited.

Coles is better than Moss and I am looking at this objectively. Randy Moss has not lived up to his billing as one of the best receivers of all time, his off field behavior is miserable, and is never happy -- which have indirectly affected his on field numbers. Then you have Coles, who can burn or catch passes over the middle - he takes take hard hits and get back out there, something Moss doesn't do.

I like Jericho, but he only has a full season under his belt as a #2 receiver. If he performs as well or better than his did last season I could entertain conversations as to why Cotch is better than Stallworth, however until that happens Cotch is not purportedly better.

Lastly, Welker is your ideal 3rd receiver, analysts would say. I was high on Welker in Miami and even more so in New England, he is, as they say, a "Belichick" kind of player so I expect his numbers to be career high this season.

4. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

With Chad and Brady, it's tougher to say compared to an Alex Smith, who when he drops back will see what Darrell Jackson is doing before anyone else. Chad and Brady are some of the most impartial QB's in the league. They don't favor receivers much and will more than likely be looking for who is open compared to "Who I trust?" I'd say McCareins and Welker both get their share of a couple of catches each, with YAC determining their overall performance in a game that's right now slated to be a wet one.

5. Baron Samedi

Baron Samedi Banned

I can't wait for Sunday's game! You guys are playing the Pats at the right time, new receivers still gelling with the offense, 2 top defensive guys out, and playing in NY.

It should be a hard fought game.

Thomas Jones is benched on my fantasy team, cause I want to see that the jets can run block before I start him.

Looks like the weather is going to be windy and raining....how the hell is Pennington gonna throw into tropical storm type winds?:rofl2:

6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I want to add something about Welker I think can not be discounted. The Dolphins last year dropped a shit load of passes. McMichael, Chambers and Welker dropped a ton. I have no idea if it was poor coaching, poor QB'ing (no touch) and/or poor receiving. My guess it was a mix of all three.

Anyway, even with the drops WW is better than our #3 because he is tough. Say what you want about Jmac the dude has Alligator arms and will not reach for throws. He has more upside than WW however when you do not fight for balls, I can give a rat's ass about more "upside".

The real difference between receiving corps is the QB. Brady can make all the throws while it is fact Chad can not. I am not going to bash Chad, I am just saying, he got Coles killed last year. For instance, if Coles had Brady throwing him the ball there is no way in hell Zach Thomas lays him out. We all remember that insane hit. Instead of waiting for the moonball to come down, with Brady, Coles gets it in stride and Zach has to get a good ass shot of Coles as he runs off to the races.

A sad but true fact is Chad is going to shorten Coles career way more than any incessant whining about Mangini's tough camps.

#46 Miamipuck, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

The honest truth, as stated earlier in the thread, is that we have an immense amount of offensive talent, on par with, or greater than that of New England. However, they have a HUGE edge when it comes to their QB and OL. You could throw Kevin Barlow, Justin McCareins, and Anthony Becht into that offense, and with that OL and QB, they'll make more of a gameday impact than our guys.... It sucks, but it's true...

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'll subsequently pull the bullshit card.

This is a blatant misconception of Randy Moss created by the media. Moss is actually NOT miserable off the field, and is generally known as a pretty nice, and happy person.

On top of that, he's also EXTREMELY charitable back in Minnesota, where his career started.

So please don't post bullshit just because it "makes your point".

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes indeed......

10. Sean_in_titletown

You're right. 67 catches. My homerisim got the better of me. I'd still take Welker as my slot guy over most other slot guys in the league. I just don't think Coles and Cotchery scare a coordinator into making sure his corners have help, therfore leaving other areas vulnerable. I think Moss and Stallworth epitomize that concept. Mangenius was very comfortable having Kerry Rhodes tee off with run and pass blitzes last season against NE because he knew the likes of Reche Caldwell (who hasn't even been picked up by another team yet) and Troy Brown posed no threat down the field. He may have to think twice about leaving a rookie corner and a pedestrian corner one on one against perhaps the two most dangerous deep threats in the league. For all the knocks on Stallworth and Moss, the last thing you can question is their deep play potential.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

He's still no Wes Walker. :up:

12. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

That is the by product of the QB that is throwing the ball. It is not because their latent talent nor lack of. If you switched the 2 recieving corps, NE fans would be just as happy if not more so. They (C/C) can make big plays and can stretch the field, they just do not have a QB like Brady throwing to them. That is the one huge difference. The Jets top 2 is way tougher and more reliable than yours otherwise.

13. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Get it right .. After winning against a BB coached team, the 2nd time around the team most likely loses.. And No, your boyee Penny didn't break that rule.. Peyton did.. Also, little bit of advice.. You gotta move on from that win dude.. That was last year my man.. In the end, it was all for not.. Jets still lost in the playoffs.. You know why? Blame your coach.. He came out with the exact same scheme on defense.. To the "T" .. Rookie.. Brand new season starting today..
    :up:

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

(Though about Coles...Def coordinators routinely double cover Coles. When they try to single him up, he eats up the D. (See Minnesota last year 12/144 2Tds.)

I think what BB is going for with Moss and Stallworth is the ability to hit the home run against the blitz.

IF you look through Moss and Stallworths bigger games, you find its One huge play, and several average catches.

Taking into account Brady's ability to hit the big throw under big pressure,
    it looks like Bill is trying force teams out of the blitz.

The obvious response to that is to Double Randy over the top, and put your fastest guy singled up on Stallworth. That makes the Read a single decision once the blitz is recognized... (Single coverage guy outside, or Slot guy....)

By drafting Revis, the Jets have effectively matched this scenario, by having
    Revis, Barrett,Dyson, and Miller (who can cover down the field, he did well on big throws covering Wayne in the Indy game, the charitable PI call notwithstanding....) he got hurt underneath...

I am so intrigued by these passing game matchups, that (I saw your other thread....) I pray the bad weather holds off.

15. Sean_in_titletown

Let's hope so. I'm really looking forward to the game. I don't think this game is worthy of 6.5 point line.

16. Italian Seafood

If we don't do a better job stopping the run than we did most of last year, all of this won't matter. We can't give up 8-minute drives like the one that iced the playoff game.

17. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

are you sure about that! Coles and Cotchery are two very sure handed recievers and can run a way from anyone in the league! Id check that statement. :jets:

18. Italian Seafood

Sean_in_Indianapolis wasn't watching New England at the Jets last year, I guess.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

The Pats spend alot more money then us... Thats the excuse im using lol.

20. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

Ummmm.. There is a salary cap in the NFL.. If the Jets choose to not use it to it's capacity, then thats thier problemo.. :eek:hmy: