Tailgating for Sunday's Game vs. Pats

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Sep 5, 2007.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

For those of you who have already been to the games this season here's a few questions.

4 of us are going to the game and I have a parking pass. We plan on arriving no later than 9AM for entrance to the stadium.

Is 9AM arrival sufficient to ensure that you'll gain entrance into at least one of the lots?

Since rain is now in the forecase, If we're looking to set up a tailgate for the 4 of us, I am going to bring along one of those 10x10 shelters, hoping to set it up off of the back of the truck, partially covering the truck and giving enough room to sit, etc.

I'm thinking that rather than set up on a grass area, where the spots will all surely be taken, and rather than placing the tent so that it backs out into a lane where cars will surf the lot, it might be better to try and back onto a fence somewhere.

What fields should I focus upon for such a setup. I figure that placing the car in such a way will give enough room for the tent, tables chairs, etc. A field close to an exit that would get me home to LI would obviously be ideal.

Sorry if I sound like I'm thinking into this too much- but a couple of the folks attending the game with me have never been to a Jets game before and I'd like to start off the day right. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Koz

2. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

I would still leave a 1/2 hour to get from the exit of the NJ Turnpike or Route 3, whicherver way you are coming, to the parking lots. The main reason being, regardless of you having a pass or not - especially if you are coming from the NJ Tpke - all cars will be using the same exits and then those w/out passes will have to follow detour signs to the off site lots. This will inevitably cause much confusion and delay.

I went to the 2nd pre-seasson game and it tokk me 20 minutes form Exit 16W to the lot - and that wa swith only 25,000 people there.

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Even with that 1/2 hour delay, I would hope that by arriving @ 9:30AM for a 1PM game that you're still going to be able to land a spot, somewhere in the main lots, right?

4. Chadwick81

Chadwick81 New Member

Question on the parking pass...are there more than 1 kind of parking passes, or is it you either have one or you don't?

I am looking to buy a parking pass online, and I want to make sure I can gain entry into the main lots with the parking pass I'm buying.

Thanks for the help.

5. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I've been told that it's just one parking pass for admittance to the stadium lots. Either you have that pass or you are SOL.

6. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

You should be fine at 9:30AM. I was at the first preseason game and most lots were pretty much empty...you could get a grass spot up until kickoff, however all that will change come Sunday.

One thing that is worthy of note, they did the parking pass fiasco for Live Earth back in July, which was a sold out concert...I had a pass, and again the lots were empty.

I'm predicting close to the same for the Jets games. I think there was a solid lack of research on this, and there will be PLENTY of spots available even with the construction.

Can't wait to hear the horror stories Monday morning of people waiting 2+ hours for a bus after the game as well.

7. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Yeah I figure that if anything the Port Authority busses coupled with the sattelite parking busses are going to be a complete nightmare! Thanks for your heads-up!

8. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

An 8AM arrival will prevent any headaches, whatsoever...for parking that is.

Does anyone know if there is a charge at the gates when you have the pass, or is it you have the pass and you just have that ripped for entrance?

9. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

No charge. The pass originally cost $15 per game so they termed it as a "pre-paid season parking permit."

It should've been termed a "can-only-get-one-on-eBay-for-$500 season parking permit"

10. NYJ 13A

NYJ 13A New Member

Cool...thanks for the heads up, WWW...

Yeah...that can't be fun for those who couldn't get them for $150 for the season.

11. JOISEYJET

JOISEYJET New Member

Solid lack of reaserch "Are you kidding Me!!" They studied this just fine mto the point where practacly no one shows up for a preseason game at all ,yet they scared & forced every JET & giant fan into buying those preseason parking pass` to games they weren`t attending,It wasn`t bad enough making them buy tickets to 2 preseason games they weren`t atting either..

12. Hoboken Jet

Hoboken Jet Member

Not a total washout on Sunday...latest forecast shows a 40%chance "Scattered Thunderstorms" ....but this could change to a full out sunny day by Sat evening!

13. ToddtoBarkum

ToddtoBarkum Member

If you have a parking pass you are guaranteed a spot. With it being openoing day, which ususally gets the regualrs out there a 1/2 to an hour earlier and adding in the fac tthat it is the Pats and lastly the mess that is sure to insue, I still say the earleir the better. I'd much rather be in the lot sitting around than in traffic or being directed form lot to lot...

14. Paddock

Paddock Member

When you arrive (in preseason) they take your pass when you go thru the normal pay gates. So I'm wondering when they set up shop there, because if you get in and still have a pass (maybe 7am or before), you can surely hand that off to someone else who needs one. Might be a nice benefit of getting there a little early.

15. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I thought that I had read somewhere that the gates would be closed altogether until a certain time, so that getting there super-early wouldn't serve to provide any advantage. I guess the rationale being that those without parking permits could arrive before the witching hour, ensure that they had a spot but at the expense of someone with a legitimate permit. Is that true?

16. Paddock

Paddock Member

I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense to me. I searched the website and couldn't find any information on when the gates will open. I will check my pass when I get home and report back.

17. baamf

baamf Active Member

Myself and many others have used this tactic many times in the past to avoid paying the parking fees. The gates used to open (manned with personnel collecting money) 5 hours before game time so if you got there before 8:00am you could cruise right in. A couple of years ago Woody realized he was losing a lot of money this way so they started opening the gates at 6 hours before making it more difficult. This year I guess they are trying to avoid what you described as the rules state the gates will open 7 hours before kickoff. So unless you plan on being there before 6:00am it won't work. But if you can do it, there is nothing to stop you from driving right in...

18. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

My friends that work the gate have told me that they will be out there starting at 6 AM. If you want to be in the lot before then, be my guest. I'm 15 minutes away; I used to leave at 10 AM but, I figure on being on the road no latter than 9 AM and seeing how that works. Considering how much of a mess it was during pre-season (that's also according to my friends that work there) I have a bad feeling about the first few games until they work the bugs out. It's gonna be a mess. I Guarantee it. Good luck to you all.

19. JETTS216

JETTS216 New Member

LOL like the way you think!@!!

20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

The passes on ebay are going for around 120 dollars a piece. If anyone has one for less please let me know. I just paid $860 for two front row tickets on ebay and paying another $120 is hard to swallow.