Penny is the starter for now .....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Our Offense had one of the best TOP in the league last year, the O had the ball more than the opposition and ran more plays than the opposition last year, what we didn't do was score at a reasonable rate. On the other hand our bend but don't break D held the opposition to much less scoring than the leauge average.

Chad was not our entire O last year Cotch, Coles and Leon were all very good. We also did a very good job at short yardage rushing TD's last year we actually ranked 9th in that catagory and 22nd in passing TD's.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If I remember correctly, the Colts drove down the field for two TDs in the final 2:00, wrapped around Justin Miller's KO return for a TD. Which means A-we were ahead twice in the final minutes and B-Chad had nothing to do with how and why we lost the game. And if I also remember correctly, the Colts went on to win the Super Bowl.

3. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

yes and who threw coles and cotchery the ball last year huh? were not coles and cotchery on the team the year before when neither had a good year at all where coincidently chad was not the qb. Furthermore in regards to leon, a good amount of his plays came off of passes in which pennington bought time for him on screens. Chad was a large portion of the offense and a great reason why the jets won games.

4. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Chad sucks every preseason, he admits it himself.

5. plasticsloth

and yet a bad preseason is what has started this entire thing! it is ridiculous!

6. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I know. Some QB's have bad preseasons and good regular seasons. Some have great preseasons and bad regular seasons. You just never know.

7. winstonbiggs

Chad was the QB the year before don't you remeber we went 1 & 2 with him the year we were suppossed to go to the SB. By the way Cotch didn't start that year, but Martin did.

8. plasticsloth

i also remember chrebet dropping a game winning touchdown pass against the jaguars. Are u trying to say that penningtons .568 winning percentage, which happens to be the highest in jets history for a starting quarterback as well as his second highest career completion percentage 65.1 has nothing to do with him being a good quarterback and that a higher winning percentage and higher completion percentage would happen through putting most other quarterbacks in his place such as an unproven rookie who is having a good preseason against second team defenses?

9. winstonbiggs

I'm not a big believer in completion percent as an indicator of how good a QB is. Vinny in 98 had a lower completion % than Chad but was a much more efficient QB and was much better than Chad ever was including 02. The Jets had a 66.6% winning % in 04 with Quincy Carter starting and I think he wasn't all that good. Chad was very good in 02, decent but not great in 03, Very good in 04 before his injury, terrible in 05 and decent last year.

Vinny by the way a QB who never had a great completion % in his 3 years as a starter had a higher winning % than Pennington.

10. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

these arguements are useless. There are a few anti-Chad posters here that will NEVER give credit to Chad. We can whip the Pats and the Ravens and they will not give any props to Chad. I am certain that we could make it to the freaking SB and still no positive Chad posts from these guys.

Hey for what it is worth, you guys were negitive all last season too. I absolutely loved watching the Jets last season. There was nothing you could say then, and there will be nothing you can say now to ruin the season for me.

Chad is the starting QB. Get over it.

11. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The greatest vindication for me was the MNF game at Miami last year. They trashed Chad the whole game and just as motormouth Theisman was talking Chad hit Cotchery for a long TD. Highlight of the season for me and a nice Christmas present.

12. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

OH MAN ME TOO! Me and my wife were SCREAMING at the tv after that toss!!! That rocked lol!

13. plasticsloth

and vinny was pulled after he became inefficient in 2000 where he threw 25 Ints and in 2001 where he threw only 14 TD and 15 Ints and sported a qb rating of 75.3 and did not win games. That is why chad replaced him. Chad has had no indication of becoming inefficient because he wins games. You cant say that every year he played that none of the winning was because of him. That is just a ridiculous statement. Chad has been to the playoffs three times, with two playoff wins. Once is luck, two is a trend, three is proof. Chad has proven to be a good quarterback and a winner. Furthermore, when determining how chad was in certain years, you cant just look at stats. You have to look at what he had around him in those years. This past year, he had a young O-Line sporting two rookies and a lackluster running game at best.

14. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

Why not? What does it take to improve arm strength? Some extra reps in the gym with a world class NFL strength trainer. Sozopol, you might be on to something here. In a chess-like bait and switch, Mangenius has Penny display his same sub-par arm strength through preseason -- then he comes out throwing bombs in week one. That would be the shit.

15. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

It is pre-season. For petes sake.

16. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

scruggy,

I would not put anything passed Mangini. In fact, it would not surpise me if a lot of what the media knows and what other teams might think is false information. Mangini prides himself of holding ALL of his cards close to the vest.

17. winstonbiggs

Vinny wasn't pulled at all in fact Chad was given every opportunity to win the job outright in training camp 02 and couldn't do it against an old washed up mediocre QB. The fact is Testeverde at 39 years old a few years removed from a devastating injury was still seen as better than Chad even with a coaching staff that was brought in to run a WC offense tailor made to Chad's abilities.

I thought we did win in both 02 and last year because of Chad and I thought we were in trouble in the playoffs since 02 because of Chad. He simple can't elevate his game against really good opponents because he is to limited. Against most NFL teams Chad is very good.

The Jets have a ton of talent on both sides of the ball and even though we are soft at the point on both sides of the ball, this is a team that in a year or two can step up in class. I simply think Chad is not able to step up his game against anything more than the pack teams of the NFL. He simply gives up to much of the field with his physical limitations.

18. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

The "thinking" QB, threw almost as many inteceptions as TDs. He really "lead" us to nothing. We won a key game in New England because of inspired defense, and Barlow running well. He was horrible in the second Miami game, and was saved by Leon. He "led" us to two shutouts last season. He was unable to be effective in the red zone, nor in the two minute drill. What "led" us to 10-6 was a fortiutous schedule especially in the sequencing of the games, superb special teams play, and good game preparation and in-game coaching/situational coaching by Mangini. Chad was purely a caretaker. He played well the first week, and against Minnesota, Houston and Green Bay, but was horrific in many other games (Playoff game, Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, Jax Buffalo, etc, etc, etc... In the last 7 games he threw only 7 TD passes and matched that with 7 interceptions. How is that "leading" us to anything.

Look, I understand a lot of people passionately love Chad and want him as our QB. They have convinced themselves he is a "winner" and gives us our "best chance to win". I do not buy it. He is NOT the Chad of 2002 or pre-injury. He is at best a middle of the pack QB, who has some good game management skills, and excellent play action ability. He has no comeback ability, and is limited by his arm strength in the red zone. He is NOT the reason we win. He hurts as much as helps. And, say what you want about preseason all you want, his performance and arm strength seem to have really dropped this season. I think he is done and stand by my view. He is incredibly overrated by Jets fans and I will not convince people here otherwise. Believe it or not, he is my favorite Jet. But as a bigger fan of the Jets team overall, I realize his time has come to a close. It is just a matter of time before that becomes obvious to everyone.

19. bpjets

bpjets New Member

This should be very simple....if he is stinking up the place he should be pulled.

20. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Man, don't people realize that Chad is part of the REASON we have no running game? See Emmitt's comments recently which were correct. Chad CANNOT stretch the field so they compress the field and stack the box. There are 1 -2 more defenders between the tackles on every play to get to our running backs. Now, our OL run blocking is poor, but CHad hurts our running game a lot by allowing defenses to stack the box against the run because he cannot beat them deep and the safeties can play up. So your argument is completely off. He was not the entire offense, and we were forced to pass to gain yards largely because Chad cannot pass deep and free up the running game. So Chad's stats actually become padded above his actual level because of the negative impact he has on the running game.