Justin McCareins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Tony, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I'm curious about the thoughts of the board on McCareins. He had a bad rap from a couple years ago for dropping some balls, and thatwas a legitimate gripe. However, since that bad year (in which the entire team had a bad year), he's played really well, IMO.

Overall, I view him as an excellent #3 receiver who was miscast as a #2 for a while. As our #3, he can resume the path he started on in TN. Remember he had something like an 18 YPR average. He's shown speed and great hands this far.

So what is everyones thoughts on him? Is he still labeled a bum that we overpaid for? Or is he now a reliable member of a strong receiver corp?

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'd have to say he's a reliable member of a strong receiving corps. We could do a lot worse for a #3 receiver. Our receivers are probably the strongest unit on the team.

3. wa2k99

wa2k99 Active Member

That's pretty much how I feel, a very good #3. But he always seems to look best in the preseason. And a second round was just to much to give to get him.

4. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Keep em! The x-factor will be in the right place at th right time for a big 1st down or the winning score. Book it!

5. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

I'm willing to give J-mac another year. I'm really more interested in seeing what Brad Smith is capable of. #3 QB or #3 WR? :)

6. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

well i still think we overpaid for him; i didn't like trading a 2nd Round pick for a #3 WR.

however, i think we should hang on to him. it seems every month we hear about Coles getting closer to retirement or something along those lines. if he or Cotchery goes down this year, McCareins will have to step up big.

7. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Agreed about good #3 and second being too high. I thought his first year he really made some clutch catches toward the end of the year, not just in preseason or anything like that. He had a couple of rough years, but I think this year he'll prove that even if we did overpay, we got a valuable member of a strong receiving corps.

8. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Exactly - and I now think he is capable of stepping up, too.

9. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I agree for the most part, he's a solid #3. And he looked very good this preseason, Kellen's favorite target.

10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Having a QB that floats balls over the middle means it's good to have a few extra receivers standing around.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

J-Mac right looks great. Unfortunately, when the season starts, he will dissapear. Look for him when we play a team with no pass rush. :rolleyes:

12. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

hopefully he can be what we all hoped he would be when the jets traded him for a second round pick. But i cant really trust mccareins. Sure give him another shot this year but on a very short leash.

13. Denny

Denny Active Member

^^^There's no leash about it. Our recievers are better than good and are getting short changed. They have to brim up superhuman efforts to make plays happen due to lack of, dare I say, QB noodleitis among other related QB deficiancies like, I dunno, no pass protection.

I love Chad, his spirit and his passion for the game. When he took over I was impressed. Probably cause Vinny was in such decline. He also had a line and a HOF running back. I wont doubt his heart but I'd love to see his heart overcome the onslaught of the never ending pass rush and lack of a running game.

14. plasticsloth

Ohs Noes! This thread is turning into another chad bashing thread!
    :lol:

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

It may seem that way but I was just defending J-Mac and the others because they have been overachieving and it would be a shame if they were overlooked due to lack of talent in other areas.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yup yup yup. bingo bingo bingo

17. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

JMac had been impressive to say the least. that grab from Clemens was all him and i think he deserves a roster spot if there is one to give.

18. plasticsloth

lol can u blame me for my concern towards the creation of yet another chad bashing thread?

19. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

So to sum up the sentiment of the thread in one word describing J-slack:

OVERPAID-both in trade value and $$$

...other than that, a good #3

20. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

Gotta like the contribution he can make from a low expectation position like #3 wr. He has a nice repoire with our backup qb which is big in case chad goes down, or we move in a different direction. If he comes through with a solid year and stuckey and smith continue to develop, then he becomes expendable and we can almost recoup a lost 2nd round pick (maybe get a fourth). Then we're stocked and loaded for next years draft where we build the trenches.