Penny is the starter for now .....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Aug 29, 2007.

1. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Hey tony do you think if the Offense is moving nowhere in the 1st game Like they were against the Giants first stringers, Mangini Pulls the trigger ; not dfor the entire season but for a quarter or a series?

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

All this proves is it's better to be lucky than smart. Pats go 1 and out with Bledsoe, they win 3 SB with Brady.

3. winstonbiggs

There are a lot more people on this board that think Pennington is the second coming of Montana than think Clemens is the second coming of Namath.

Chad could not be cut last year the cap hit would have been death. His contract was reworked to cut him next year prior to the season or to continue with him next year if he proved his worth over two seasons. The Jets held out until Washington would take a 5th for Ramsey they wouldn't even part with a 4th for him that's highly they valued Ramsey as a potential starter. All Chad had to do to win the job last year was be physically able to play.

Chad did a really good job last year even though he was outright awfull in several games. The team is still rebuilding, Chad is a hold the fort guy, Clemens will get significant snaps this year unless Chad is outright great. The Jets have to figure out if Clemens is the guy to lead a rebuilt team on a serious run to a SB.

#43 winstonbiggs, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  4. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I hope that chad is never pulled, not because I don't like Clemens (I do and believe he is the future), but that if he is pulled it means our season is in a downward spiral. And unless Clemens can do what chad did in 02 after vinny was pulled, the season will be lost by the time he starts.

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I wouldn't think so anymore. Those comaprisons were in 2002 and at the time they made sense.

No small order coming off of two surgeries. Again, my only point there is that he has not had a free ride all this time as DevTeam said, he did have to win the job back without the coaching staff from which there was any loyalty.

Agreed.

How are we still rebuilding off a 10-6 playoff year? Every team was to re-tool every year, it's how the NFL is now. You go each year with the guys you think give you the best chance to win the Super Bowl this year. There is no "rebuilt" team, you have what you have every year. Even the Pats had to go out and get a bunch of new guys. If the coaches think Clemens gives them the best chance, they will put him in there this year, but whether or not he gets significant snaps will be determined by how Chad does and if he stays healthy. Clemens might not get any, we don't know.

6. winstonbiggs

Because the NFL is a sport with a 53 man roster and teams have to be built. Teams rise and fall in the NFL but it is a rare beast that goes from being bad to being an elite team in this league over night. The majority of the league is not that good which allows 4 win teams to go to 10 win teams but the second round of the playoffs is almost always midnight to the pretenders.

7. Italian Seafood

How did the Saints do in 2005 and 2006? That's off the top of my head. Go back further than one year and you'll find more examples.

8. winstonbiggs

The Saints did great they went out and brought in a ton of players including a new QB off FA. The Saints also looked like a second class team against a not great Bears team. The NFC is a confence of outright mediocrity, just ask Junc.

The Saints won 1 out of 4 games against AFC teams last year the lone win against Cleveland which was in the game until the end. The Saints would have won 5 or 6 games in the AFC last year.

#48 winstonbiggs, Aug 29, 2007
  9. Italian Seafood

Uh oh. Now you did it.

10. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

He is the VERY NEAR future. Chad is done. Kellen starts week 3. It is amazing to me that Jets fans cannot recognize how dimished Chad's skill are both physically and MENTALLY. The team is rtallying around Kellen and it will be his team this year and Chad's last year as a Jet.

11. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

What in the world makes you think Chad will be successfull this year?We succeeded last year DESPITE him, and he is clearly not even as sharp as last year. Kellen offers us a better chance to win at this point period.

12. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

At what point? This point in pre-season? LOL!

The above statement is absolutely rediculous. Chad won ten games with an oline that featured 2 rookies, a rookie coach, a new offense and new defense, and no running game. We won last year despite Chad? There is no logic to your statement at all. None.

And Kellen is an unproven QB and whether or not he has played well in pre-season games means absolutely nothing. I am not taking anything away from him, but I wont be making him out to be something he is not which is proven.

So what part of your statement can you back up? By all means please enlighten me.

#52 fake_crs, Aug 29, 2007
  13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Really. So, an NFL head coach would bench a top 10 QB in week 3, after playing two of the best defensive teams in the NFL in weeks 1 and 2.

The only way Clemens sees the field in week 3, is if Pennington is injured.

14. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

DESPITE HIM? DESPITE HIM! DESPITE HIM!? are u kidding. Chad lead this team to the playoffs. He put the offense on his back! Did u watch the games. I remember in the beginning of the season where the defense was terrible and the running game was only worse. Chad ran a very difficult offense to run and did it with success. He won games and played every game when the vast majority of people thought that neither was possible. I am so tired of the panic that has been exhibited on these boards because chad has had a bad PRESEASON which he is notorious for having. Chad can lead this team to a superbowl if he gets a defense and a running game. His Ints last year were only due to a lack of running game, i.e the defense constantly playing pass and the amount of passes he threw. If rex grossman can go to a superbowl chad can win one.

15. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I may be wrong but I remember last year some people wanting Ramsey to start because he has a strong arm, this crap will never end. I wonder when the Colts were wining games and exiting early from the playoffs if Colts fans were like its Mannings fault, get rid of him, cut him, all the BS I read about CP on a now daily basis. Next year this time do a search and replace CP with KC.

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We played in four games against teams that were over .500 and we lost three of them. Basically we were playing against second team Defenses last year.
    We one one game during the regular season against a good team and that was the Patriots on a Mud soaked field in a Monsoon. We had literally no injuries. We won due to a great coach with young hungry players who managed to beat the bad teams were were supposed to beat and a little luck along the way.

17. winstonbiggs

Here is what are opponents scored against our terrible D in the games Chad carried us.

16, 20, 17, 24, 14, 11, 10, 13, 10, 3.

Here are the points we put up on the board in our 6 losses.

17, 28, 0, 13, 0, 13.

The Jets D last year gave up the 6 least points in the NFL the O scored at a rate that ranked them 18th.

How exactly did Chad carry us?

18. plasticsloth

ok. in response to the competition argument. Every one of those games were close. The first pats game was lost by three points. The colts game by three points. And the bears game by ten points. Now imagine if the jets actually had a running game, something that we hope another year for the O-Line and Thomas Jones can improve on. The offense is at least on paper, going to be better than last year and that means chad will play even better which is a dangerous thing for defenses because he played well last year.

19. fake_crs

fake_crs New Member

fourthandlong, that is yet another rediculous statement.

Any given Sunday an NFL team can rise up and whip another team. Many times a team thats on the skids is MUCH TOUGHER to beat than a team that has a winning record. If you do not know that, then you don't know football.

If you do not think it is tough to win 10 games against ANY FREAKING NFL TEAM with newly installed Os and Ds with no run game and rookies for coaches then you obviously have some serious ego problems which get in the way of your judgement bro.

We were in the playoffs last year. Chad was a HUGE part of the reason why.

And for the record I am not saying Chad is even an elite QB in the NFL. He has his strong points and weak points. Just like many NFL QBs. But to bash him like some of you do after what he did last year with what he had, and it being the pre-season and all, well its tough to read. Man I wasnt thinking we would be even close to the post season last year. And most of you said even worse then that!!! DONT MAKE ME GO BACK AND GET ALL OF YOUR POSTS! LOL! I loved last season. I wont be doubting Chad this year until he proves to me that I should.

#59 fake_crs, Aug 29, 2007
  20. plasticsloth

ok. the jaguars game is one very bad game ill admit. Everybody has one. The point is that he had absolutely no running game. He was the entire offense! Plus, the defense couldn't get off the field. In the little time the offense ever had the ball, he put up enough points and drove the jets down the field and won games. Was not everybody complaining about the poor defense in the beginning of the year. Blah Blah they cant stop teh run Blah Blah they cant put pressure on the qb Blah Blah.