" Harris progressing fast " ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Harris progressing fast
    By Gregg Hayim , JC
    Posted Aug 28, 2007

A lot was made of the Jets trading up in the first round to land Pittsburgh cornerback Darrelle Revis.That is looking like a screwd move.But the Jets also made a draft day trade to move up in the second round and grab linebacker David Harris.That move isn?t looking bad either.

The Jets executed a deal to acquire Green Bay's second round pick and snagged Harris with the 47th overall selection of the 2007 draft.A stout 6-2 243 pound linebacker from the University of Michigan, Harris was coveted by the Jets. His run stuffing ability makes him an ideal fit for Eric Mangini's 3-4 defense.

And thus far, he hasn't disappointed.

"I like what David's doing." Head Coach Eric Mangini said of Harris. "I know I've said this a couple different times, really consistent in Game Three. He does a nice job of going up and taking on the guards. He's got a good physical presence against those guys, but yet he's fluid in space which I like."

Harris has the good fortune of learning from a familiar face; linebacker coach Jim Hermann.Prior to landing the Jets job, Hermann was the defensive coordinator at the University of Michigan for nine seasons and is now reunited with his former student."He knows a lot about the game of football" Harris said of Herrmann. "And it makes it that much easier when you have a previous relationship with a guy, who has been in the system."Unlike the 4-3, where an athletic 'sideline to sideline' type of linebacker is preferred, inside linebackers in the 3-4 defensive scheme are expected to fill gaps and stuff the run. In this regard, Harris is a perfect for the Jets.

Although his physical attributes may be ideal, there is a rather large learning curve any rookie must hurdle, particularly one playing a new system."It's a lot different." Harris said of the transition to the 3-4. "There are a lot more checks and adjustments. We are in a two-gap system now, so you have to be able to go down and punch the guard, be thick on him and be able to fall back into any of the gaps."Thus far, Harris has made the transition well. He has steadily progressed throughout the preseason, grasping the system and continuing to mount his case for early season playing time.

He turned heads during last weekend?s Jets win over the Giants, recording six solo tackles.Eric Barton will most likely start next to Jonathan Vilma opening day. However, given his impressive play of late, Harris has shown every indication that the organization made the right move by selecting him and he should see action sooner, rather than later.

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The comment on Revis is totally unjustified.

3. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

I hope he starts, we did not trade up for him to play nickle. Dude has the talent, size and speed, let him get out there against Moss (with a lil safety help), trial by fire.

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I thought that was funny...those two moves may very well have screwed us!

I'm pretty sure what he was actually trying to say was shrewd. He has another typo here:

Maybe he thinks he will make a good prefect?:smile:

Who is this mook anyway? At least he's on our side.

5. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

I thought the same thing as he seems to be writing Vilma off.

6. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think Kelly was having a little fun with us

7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Very happy with our two early picks this year. I just wish we'd done more to improve the spots that are gaping holes. Mabey this is a debate over need vs talent.

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Well then, he must be a TGG regular, because most seem to be writing Vilma off (myself included)

Gregg Hayim , JC

JC has to equal Jetcane. After all, no beat writer has provided a decent article in weeks, maybe months, but Jetcane keeps comming through. I suspect he was finally hired somewhere after reading all his camp reports. :grin:

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

or it could be Jets Confidential :lol:

http://jets.scout.com/a.z?s=65&p=2&c=673100

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Nah, that's not me. I have gotten emails/pm's from him in the past, asking some stuff.

I think when he wrote "screwd move" he might've meant "shrewd" move.

:)

#11 Jetcane, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  12. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

[​IMG]

shit looks so good... : ]_

13. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

I've been on this board for a few years now and I must say that Kelly is the strangest poster I've ever seen on a football board. He/She could be a chick, a cross dresser, a dude, who knows? In addition to that, he/she is from scandinavia. Also, he/she rarely responds to posts, he/she basically just starts threads...

One of the greatest mysteries of TGG if you ask me.

14. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

LOL, true.

I sent him/her a pm on JI a few years ago, asking who the beautiful woman was in the avatar, and never got a response.

15. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Alicia Silverstone

16. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

and Kelly also always uses the little ~~~ even though everyone makes fun of him/her for it and he/she never seems to acknowledge it.

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Ok Miami. Riddle me this. Who was the picture of in the other avatar kelly wore of the person on the couch? :wink:

18. Villmatic52

Villmatic52 New Member

How did this thread become a bunch of little girls talking about what tampons to use? Stop sweating this Kelly character and get back on my boy David Harris, who needs to play half of the snaps at least week 1. This guy is an improvement over anybody (vilma included) when it comes to hitting the guard and moving laterally at the point of contact to make a tackle. This is the job of a 3-4 mlb and he is excelling already in short time. This frees up the other mlb to roam the middle of the field, a job that vilma was born to do. I can't wait to see this defense in mid-season form, when revis has his side shut down and the middle is on lockdown as well.

19. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

I prefer Tampax Ultra for my heavy flow days.

20. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Some people started a rumor last year that Kelly was a bot... nearly even believable :lol: