Vilma trade ideas - merged 3X

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Aug 27, 2007.

1. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

A star MLB for a LG is just crazy... Faneca is 30 years old and Vilma is 25, some of you are completely overreacting to this. Remember, even Kendall was still on the team he probably wouldn't have made the 1st team anyways.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The original poster never mentioned Faneca, I did. For some reason I thought he was a few years younger, but you're right it's probably not worth it for a 30 year old guard who's about to become a free agent next season.

Vilma hasn't exactly been a star in the 3-4 though, and we definitely need help on the o-line. Harris looks like he could start now and do well in the 3-4, but we would lose a lot of leadership in Vilma. Tough call on what to do with him at this point. I'd say if we can get very good value for him, it's probably not a bad idea to make a move.

On a related side note, I think Bender could improve his pass blocking a lot by just engaging the DT as if he were run blocking rather than waiting for the DT to come to him. He seems to be able to handle guys pretty well when he is the one engaging.

3. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

The offensive leader is getting heat for a weak preseason, they traded another captain and player rep, who I'd say a bunch of players respected, and now they are going to pull the trigger on unloading the defensive captain and leader?

The morale of the team may not be as high as it was last year, and it would take a lot to recover from that.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

very good point.

5. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Thank you.

:beer:

6. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

This type of stuff is big time overrated.... I've been in professional locker rooms and I don't think they think of this as much as we fans do.

I'm not saying give Vilma away. However, I have noticed he's becoming invisible in our 3-4. If we're 100% committed to the 3-4, then it's time.

7. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I will disagree. i think player chemistry and leadership are important. I remember a Jets team that was bitterly divided over whether Matt robinson should be playing QB.

And after the Kendall fiasco, i think the FO should be a little more careful how they treat players, so they dont lose them.

Mesaage board posters and fans can be much colder than the players about these things. There is a lot of emotion in playing football at a high level.

8. plasticsloth

plasticsloth Well-Known Member

i disagree with this idea. Vilma is so versatile and 1) the D-Line has not been taking up blocks so it's not vilma's lack of size, not many MLB can shed blocks from guards and centers. 2) Vilma has the speed and athleticism to line up at OLB. I always thought this could be an alternative. I think that the jets should get help around vilma (so far int he form of harris) and give him another year or two at the MLB spot. If not, try him out at OLB, he is a very fast linebacker who could be a great pass rusher.

9. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Ever been in a professional locker room as a player? I didn't think so. Have I? Yes. It was a baseball locker room, but still....

Chemistry has to be the most overrated thing in sports. For every example you cite about how the locker room was divided, I can show you a divided locker room (70s Raiders, 70s Yankees, etc etc) that won divided.

10. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

This would work too... I know this.. vilma at ilb is not working too well.

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

As a player, no.

And I think baseball operates on different emotion than does football.

The yankees were a clear exception, as were the Oakland As. I'm familiar with those teams.

But having seen the Jets a few times this summer, i think that many of the players' feelings about Kendall were very different from the fans' view of things. And i think it would be detrimental to the team to jettison another team captain now.

12. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

I hope you dont "know" this too because you have been in a lockerrom LOL

13. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Jets' Could.......

Jets' could trade Vilma for a high quality OL & draft pick. Vilma will never fit into the 3-4 defense...So cut the strings now & get some value for him & also fill a need.

Mangini on impressive rookie LB David Harris: "He does a nice job of going up and taking on the guards. He's got a good physical presence against those guys, but yet he's fluid in space, which I like. You look for that with the inside linebacker's spot, to have the ability to go hit the guy with some pop and some power. But you don't want that to be the only strength, and now when you've got to cover a guy man-to-man or drop to a deep part of the field, you can't get it done."

Though Vilma is beloved by alot of fans, his departure opens up playing time for Harris & the other ILB's.

#73 Run_N_gun10, Aug 28, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  14. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Theres a thread already.
    You could put a little more detail into your thread titles....
    It's one word away from being "Jets........"

15. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

we unloaded a undersized, overrated and aging O-Lineman. We won?t use our most talented player on the team as a trade bait, to replace him.

16. Run_N_gun10

Run_N_gun10 Well-Known Member

Y do u always say silly things.....dah ? Because ur silly. Stop the hating...:lol:

17. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

he?s not hating, he just gave you an advice (and imo it was a good one). y are you atacking him personally on that?

18. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

not hatin'....educatin'

stupid thread title as Twombles said

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Who said anything about trading Rhodes?

Vilma is 2nd.:beer:

20. PMCRW

PMCRW New Member

::::yawn:::