QB controversy brewing? or the media overracting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rod_2, Aug 26, 2007.

1. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

this made me choke on my drink. a deep 20-30 yards???? it was more like 15-20 yards, and if thats what you call DEEP, then you've been watching chad too much and not paying attention to what other qb's can do....

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It would be if that's what I said, but it isn't. Once again, if Chad were the reason we can't get to "the next level" (however you choose to define that) we would not have been playing in that game in the first place. Therefore, the problem is not the QB. Does he dominate every game? Is he the best in the world (or the division)? No. That's not what we're talking about.

You never know. The point being the QB is instrumental in your success over a 16-game season to reach the playoffs. When you get down to one game to advance or go home, it can come down to anybody. Maybe the QB, maybe the kicker, you never know. If Adam Vinnitieri doesn't make about ten clutch FGs in the post season, Tom Brady doesn't get to "the next level" either. But Vinnitieri doesn't get the chance to make those kicks if Brady doesn't put him in position to. Team game, get it?

#102 Italian Seafood, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He was awfull in 05 before going down and yes Chrebet should have cought that pass.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

People keep whining about "after the catch" to somehow further demonize CP, but I don't really understand it. YAC is great, especially when you are running a WC offense. Was this not the same case with the 49ers in the 80's with Montana?? I know those guys made some dink/dunk plays and had tremendous players that would also get YAC. This is exactly what you want - players gifted at picking up yardage down field after the catch.

5. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

sure, but thats all we can get with penny at qb.. he can only throw the ball 10-15 yards before it becomes a duck and it's any body's ball.

i also think i remember montana throwing the ball down the field to a guy named jerry rice. noodle arm can't, thats why teams stack the line, no respect from penny to throw the deep ball...

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You said "He was the reason we were in that game, in the playoffs to begin with", so please tell me how you are not saying that. Did he play a part, yes, absolutely. He's proven time and time again he's a slighty above avg qb and can beat average to below average defenses on a regular basis. That will get you around 10 wins in todays NFL if your surrounding parts are also average to above average. The problem is that when you get to the playoffs you're generally facing the best defenses in the league and they tend to abuse CP.

Please don't start comparing Tom Brady to Chad Pennington because it's absolutely ridiculous and absurd. Pennington can't hold Bradys jock strap.

Team game yeah, but as you say the QB is instrumental and our QB has some very limiting, well known weaknesses that kill us against top tier defenses. To win a Superbowl you'll have to beat 2,3,4 top tier defenses in a row.

#106 WhiteShoeWillis, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  7. Italian Seafood

It's really not that hard to understand now. If Chad wasn't a good QB we are not playing a game in the second round of the playoffs. Period. Of course you need a good team to get there, but without a good QB you still don't get there. Reference our 1999 season as a prime example.

Once again you've missed the entire point. Both are QBs in the AFC East who have been in the playoffs a few times this decade. One had a kicker who made some of the biggest kicks of all time to advance their team, the other had a guy miss two in the same game that should have advanced their team. It's a fair comparison. I'm not saying Chad is as good as Brady overall, but again the team's success in a one game playoff is determined by a lot more than the QB and the velocity on his out pattern.

8. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You are soooo wrong about the guy not being able to throw downfield. Exxagerate much? More like all the freaking time. His inability to throw downfield is becoming a bigger myth than Santa Claus.

9. Italian Seafood

You know what? Let the myth live. Miami didn't think he could throw down field last year and then he hit Cotchery on the money deep, right down the middle for an important TD. Works for me.

10. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

The Difference is Brady Orchestrates drives when the defense knows Brady is going to throw and he gets the kicker in a positon to win the game. If Chad could throw Brien would have had a 25 yard kick instead of the ones he missed. Chad s**ked all day in Pittsburgh. The Team kept the Jets in the game not Chad.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

You can make the playoffs with an average to slightly above average QB which Chad is. That doesn't mean the QB is the reason you made the playoffs. You made a statement that Chad was the reason and now you're telling me "it's not that hard to understand". Whatever man.

Once again, if we had a better QB we would have won that game easily. I guess we'll never agree on that point. If you want to compare the two, at least look at how they played in those games. Pennington sucked, Brady was clutch. Pats won, we lost. Did it come down to who had the better kicker, yes, absolutely. If we had a better QB it never would have come down to a kick.

No shit, but it certainly plays a role does it not? Maybe if he could hit the out pattern on a regular basis without having to worry about pick 6 herm doesn't take a freakin knee, who knows? Chads weaknesses are not limited to the velocity on his out pattern either.

12. FOURTHANDLONG

If you have to go back to specific games to point out a throw somebody makes he is a myth. Everyone gets lucky. We have to point out throws for Chad in specific games that every other Qb in the league makes every week!

13. Italian Seafood

He also got the ball knocked out of his hands in the snow and got the call of the century to start them on their run. Once again, all kinds of factors determine a one game playoff.

And how did we even make it that far to be playing in that game? If you can get that far without a good QB, why weren't we there in 1999 with that great team we had?

14. Italian Seafood

It was the next to last game we've played so it's fresh in the memory. :grin:

15. Italian Seafood

Sure, any QB can walk into a playoff game on the road with a torn rotator cuff and expect to "easily" beat a 15-1 team that won the Super Bowl the following year. Nooooo problem.

Then why did so many of Brady's games come down to kicks? And they weren't on the road vs 15-1 teams. Some were at home, the Super Bowls were at neutral sites.

16. FOURTHANDLONG

Think you might want to check the Peter King Monday Morning Qb Thread. Someone else who is not a Jet fan sees what the other Pennington detractors on the board see.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Since you're comparing Chad to Brady the biggest difference in them is that Brady has been healthy. I believe if Chad is healthy we probably beat Pitt by two TD's in 04. Problem was Chad wasn't healthy just like Vinny wasn't in 99 and just like 99 we didn't have a decent back up QB because Quincy was in fact awol. Chad still isn't healthy he simply isn't able to throw all that well anymore and he knows it because he himself with more free reign is doing it less and less. That is the real problem. The 02 Chad is 5 years behind us. The mantra of the Chad fans this offseason was a year without rehab would make his arm stronger. That's from those who like Chad. Nobody has seen any indication of that and Chad himself hasn't shown much of a desire to throw the ball down field. It could all be a fake for NE week 1. I wouldn't totally put that beyond Mangini? It's a valid concern and when you have a young guy who is a first day pick who is lighting it up, it makes for a little off season fun. The reality is if the season looks anything like the preseason, Chad will be benched.

18. Italian Seafood

All good points, and fair enough. But when is the last time the season looked anything like the pre-season?

19. WhiteShoeWillis

Now you're dramatizing. Watch the game and tell me a better QB wouldn't have won it for the Jets.

I don't know, you got me, Pennington gives you just as much of a chance to win a superbowl as Tom Brady does.

I got into this crap because you made a comment about a specific game in regards to Pennington suggesting that he was the reason we were in position to win that game by a FG. Do me a favor and re-watch THAT GAME and get back to me. Tell me how good Pennington was.

20. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by PMCRW
    you know i missed that 80 yard Leon pass play and i had thought it was a dump off, but when i saw it last night, it was actually a deep 20-30 yard pass. Sure it had wobble,

The play started on the Jets 20 and Washington made the catch on the Jets 45 - look at the replay. It was 25 yards from the line of scrimmage and the ball was about 35 - 40 yards in the air. Look at the tape.