Vilma trade ideas - merged 3X

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsIn2004, Aug 27, 2007.

1. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

I'd dangle McCareins as bait, but I don't think that's the crazy idea.

The crazy idea: Dangle VILMA as trade bait? I know, dumb idea, but right now it may be time to be desperate. I don't have anyone in mind, and obviously, Vilma should bring a lot of value, so unless it's a top quality LG, you'd need more in return... but is it something to think about?

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

If we can get a young top quality LG for him I'd do it. Harris looks like he has a lot of potential. The question is who are the potential LG's we could trade for? I'd say Faneca, but he's going to be a FA next season and the Steelers are also 3-4.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Not bad. Vilma to the Steelers for Alan Faneca. The Steelers are moving to a 4-3 defense which suits Vilma's playing style better and Faneca is going to leave the Steelers after the season. It could work.

McCaerins not involved in the deal

4. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

I agree.

Actually, I am more in favor of moving Vilma now and starting Harris. As I have said previously, I think Barton is underrated in the 3-4 and he and Harris can do the job.

Now if the Jets could move Vilma for a guard (and depending on the quality) a high/med pick the should consider it.

McCareins could go also, but I am not sure how sold they are Smith being the fulltime 3 WR.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

Steelers are 4-3 now?

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Tomlin is moving them to a 4-3 (part of the reason why they let Porter go). I think he is going to install Dungy's Cover 2 defense

7. WhiteShoeWillis

That makes sense.

So then to me the only question is, is it worth it considering Faneca will be a FA next season? Of course it would keep us out of a bidding war, but we'd likely have to give him a new contract to keep him happy anyway. I'd think we should get a little more in return given the fact that he's basically said there's no way he's returning to the Steelers.

Maybe Vilma for Faneca and a 3rd rounder?

JetsIn2004, get on the horn with Tangini ...

8. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Don’t think they’ll do anything – what is going on is similar to what they did in New England…there are a bunch of young guys on the line that will have the opportunity to play together for the next eight years.

I just don’t think they are going to look for a patch…they’ll take their lumps now in the rebuilding years. The line may completely blow this year but the experience could be monumental in the long haul. Just my hunch -

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I'd trade Vilma for a NT who is in the same position as him (tons of proven talent, young, mabey in the wrong system)

10. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i could see it if they trade vilma for a YOUNG quality guard and a 2nd or 3rd rd draft choice. vilma is far more valuable than a straight up trade man for man. especially a guard for a top level 4-3 linebacker. a solid young olineman and a first day draft pick could be had for the likes of a vilma!!!!

11. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

You'd only do this if you had a 48 hour window, and could sign Faneca to a deal...

12. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

And then we'd still have 0 offensive line. NT is a need, but LG is a REAL need right now.

13. sourceworx

sourceworx New Member

I'd talk to the Niners about Justing Smiley. While not as good as Faneca, he's younger and is a bit of an upgrade to Kendall.

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

i love how people make a big deal out of this. the kid started his first game and everyone is pushing the red button all of a sudden. hilarious. as if they expected him to dominate out there. :rofl2:

15. Coach K

Coach K New Member

Faneca is too old for my taste, especially if your trading someone Vilma's age.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

That's a good point, for some reason I thought he was a few years younger. He's not an old man, but maybe someone we wait until FA for rather than trade a young guy with so much potential in the 4-3.

17. rillo

rillo New Member

Totally agree...all this trading Vilma crap is crazy talk IMO....

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Harris has shown enough.

Who do you think would be a trading partner....Tampon Bay has need for vilma, do they have anything to return ?

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Faneca for Vilma makes the Jets a much better team right now. We still need to sign Faneca to a long term deal and you could argue that the Steelers are getting a little more value but for our team Faneca will do more to make us better than Vilma will.

20. Variety

Variety New Member

Trade a proven, young MLB for a guard. You guys are out of your f*cking minds. Here's another idea. We could use a backup RT. Why don't we just trade Rhodes? And while we're at it we could also trade Leon Washington for Kevan Barlow. A couple more moves and you turn this franchise into the New York Browns or the Cleveland Jets.