Revis signed!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

I don't get it. According to NSL, the contract is voidable after 4 years, but the Jets can buy back the last two...def. confusing to me.

2. tzaf75

tzaf75 New Member

how long will it take before he become a starter?
    is it more about him getting into shape or learning the system?

3. Pavlus53

Pavlus53 Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...08-16_revis_jets_finally_get_deal_done-4.html

Revis, Jets finally get deal done
    BY RICH CIMINI/DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The official announcement wasn't made until 8:55 last night, but Eric Mangini delivered Darrelle Revis' welcome-to-the-Jets moment about nine hours earlier. For the first time since June, Mangini referred to the first-round pick by his first name in a public setting. With a deal imminent, it was time to drop the cold-shoulder treatment.

"I told (my wife) Julie to clear out the guest room," said Mangini, joking that he was going to ask Revis to move in with his family. "We'll have Jake, Luke and Darrelle's room."

After a 20-day contract dispute, they're all one big, happy family - or at least that's how both sides tried to present it last night at Hofstra.

The Jets were happy because they held their ground and signed the former Pitt cornerback to a six-year contract, the maximum allowed by league rules and the length they demanded from the outset of negotiations.

Revis and his representatives, initially seeking a five-year deal, were happy because the complex contract can void after four years if he appears in at least 35% of the plays this season or 45% in one of the next three seasons. In that case, the Jets have the option of buying back the last two years for a minimum of $14 million. The total value of the contract is $30 million-$36 million, with $16 million in the first four years ($11 million guaranteed), according to a source. "Being out for so long, you think it's never going to end," said Revis, admitting he was frustrated that he wasn't in camp and missed 22practices and one game.

It was the Jets' longest rookie contract dispute since Keyshawn Johnson's 24-day standoff in 1996. Revis (14th overall) became the next-to-last pick to sign, leaving Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell (No. 1) as the only unsigned draft choice.

Revis, who had been working out in Arizona with a professional trainer, arrived yesterday morning at Weeb Ewbank Hall and passed Mangini's conditioning run. He was hoping to practice in the afternoon, but that didn't happen because it took so long so fine-tune the language in the 47-page contract.

GM Mike Tannenbaum called it an "extraordinarily complicated" deal, one of the toughest he's ever negotiated. The two sides agreed in principle Tuesday night and spent yesterday working in concert with the NFL management council and the players' union, wading through the collective bargaining agreement.

"We're glad it's over," Tannenbaum said. "We're excited to put Darrelle on the field. We traded up for him. We think he's a talented player. He'll help us this year and many years to come, hopefully." He didn't second-guess his negotiating strategy, which could haunt him if Revis gets hurt or can't help the Jets immediately.

Revis received a playbook and was planning to spend the rest of the night with the coaches, trying to catch up. He will participate in today's walk-through. The Jets wouldn't say if he would play tomorrow night against the Vikings at Giants Stadium, although it's highly unlikely. "It was tough," said Revis, describing the emotions of the long dispute. "Being a competitor, being the type of player I am, I didn't want to see my teammates playing without me. I was frustrated."

The Jets traded up 11 spots for Revis, giving up first- and second-round picks for a player they believe will be a shutdown corner. If he's not an opening-day starter, he'll almost certainly be in the nickel package. They also expect Revis to return punts.

4. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Every player should be in shape when he enteres Camp, that?s every players duty, and nothing coaches should have to worry about in camp.

The most important things in camp is to learn the system, get some cemistry with your teammates, and get all the little things together, that are so important in Football.

If nobody gets hurt, it would be a very positive surprise to me, if he would start a game this year. i hope he?ll be on top of the depthchart at Nickelback sometime during the first half of the season.

i?m glad the deal is done (i got a little nervous the last 2-3 days bout this), but looks like they made a some compromise, tanny has to explain, y this took so long. He didn?t do a good job here.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think he did do a good job. He got the deal he wanted and he didn't destroy the relationship with the player. Everyone wins.

6. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

The problem is not the deal or the relationship with the player. The problem is, that this deal took way too long to be done. I belive Revis would have signed this deal 2 weeks ago, but tanny wanted "real" 6 years. he gambled, and he lost.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I'm still not sure what this means. Will somebody please explain it? The wording here seems to say the Jets can make it a 4 year deal by paying him at least 14 million to dump him. I'm not sure hows that makes sense.

"The Jets were happy because they held their ground and signed the former Pitt cornerback to a six-year contract, the maximum allowed by league rules and the length they demanded from the outset of negotiations.

Revis and his representatives, initially seeking a five-year deal, were happy because the complex contract can void after four years if he appears in at least 35% of the plays this season or 45% in one of the next three seasons. In that case, the Jets have the option of buying back the last two years for a minimum of $14 million. The total value of the contract is $30 million-$36 million, with $16 million in the first four years ($11 million guaranteed), according to a source. "

8. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

My understanding is that if Revis meets the requirements, it turns from a 6-year contract with whatever being payed for years 5 and 6 to a 4-year contract with a team option to pick up years 5 and 6 for at least $14 million.

9. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

basically it says: if revis is a bust, he will be here for 4 years at max. because we're not going to pay him 14mil. for the final 2 years. but if he turns out to be the player we want him to be he will be here for 6yrs. sounds good to me.

10. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

He can void the deal after 4. They can buy it back from him for at least 7 mil per season.

The missing verbiage is what will make it cost more than 7 mil per if they want to keep him.

11. Don

If he's a bust we could dump him next year, no? Why wait 4.

12. Don

Ok, that makes sense now.

13. Hobbes3259

No. 11 mil. Guaranteed.

14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I am glad the deal with Revis is over. Do not expect to see him vs. the Vikes. IMO, it would be a major mistake to play him; not even for a punt return. Let him watch and learn; he must catch up.

Playing Revis against the Vikes is the type of move that can cause injury. And for what; it is pre-season.

If he works hard in the up-coming practices; then maybe he sees a bit of time in the 3rd pre-season game. That's it.

15. Don

Ok, I have this figured out now. If the Jets want to keep him after year 4 they will have to pay him whatever it would cost then to slap him with the franchise tag. I believe it is 7.2 million this year. That's why they say "at least" 14 million. If they don't he can walk. The benefit to the Jets is that while they have to pay him they can still use the tag on somebody else.

It could also be the average salary of the top x CBs with a minimum of 7 million a year as well.

#135 Don, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  16. Hobbes3259

Exactly. something like that. I am guessing that Tanny probably calculated what the Tag will likely be, and cut himself a bit of a deal. (80% of projected Franchise tag....)

17. Hobbes3259

You could put him out on an island against the scrubs late in the game...Coevering is covering.

18. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

you don't draft a guy in the 1st round (esp. top 15) and then cut him if he struggles as a rookie. they're rookies, they're expected to struggle the first two seasons.

nfl teams usually wait 3-4 years until they get rid of these guys. steve smith was useless as a rookie, so was hines ward and the list goes on. asomougha was a bust but last season he broke out. you can't cut 1st or 2nd round picks after one or two bad seasons (the cap thing is another issue) :up:

19. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Finally, GET THIS KID INTO CAMP!!!

20. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This deal is very interesting. Everyone gets what they wanted. I'm glad the Jets didn't budge on the 6 year, and I'm happy for Revis that he can earn himself a great payday if he performs to expectations.

Fair deal all around, and great for the NY Jets! Now let's move on to the Vikes!