It could be a rough start for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Johnnytint, Aug 11, 2007.

1. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

these response's are killing me with lol!! i'm really wondering what team you watched last season. i remember watching a team beat up on teams with losing records and losing to teams with winning records. we all should have high hopes for this coming season, but keep things reallistic also. unless i'm half asleep here and don't reallize i'm on a fantasy football forum!!!

2. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Puh-leeze! A new head coach, new offensive and defensive schemes, changes made from top to bottom, and the team goes 10-6! Aren't you just undercutting their accomplishments a little bit? A lot?

The Jets could only get better, and this season could very well be a Super Bowl ring. No one can say that they do not have a chance. In fact, they have a great chance.

3. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

if you say so, it must be!!!!! super bowl or bust....

4. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

as far as you qoute about the pats, i'll bet any amount of dough your wrong!!!! give that coach more credit than you presently are. i'm sure he forgot more about football than any of us know. "threw team chemistry out the window" that team is stacked and nobody with half a brain can believe they will fall apart.. i think if the jets stay close for just the first half of the game, it will be a victory of sorts. too much talent. we're lucky to get them on the first game of the season. once they start to gel as the season goes on, they'll smoke our a$$es.

baltimore/2005 dolphins, i'll bet the house on you being wrong again. they're a better team than us and have proven it so.

as far as the nfc east being a joke, i think it is more you than the nfc east. if the jets played in the nfc east, they would be fighting to stay out of the cellar of that division.

basically you don't see, them there green glasses are so damn dark green it's night 24 hours a day for you.....

5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but the Jets can only get better is not exactly true.

We are returning almost every starter froom last year. So that is a plus, but that also means the group did not get many upgrades.

TJ is a huge addition, but our O-Line still has to be considered a project at best. Mangold is awsome and should have a PB caliber year. Brick is good and getting better. Kendell may not be around. Moore and Clement are below average starters on good days.

On D our Line again has Questions. DRob steppeed up but it still remains to be seen if he can be the NT we need. Vilma, our best all around LB, is better suited for a 4-3. The corners need help and it will come when Revis signs, but how much impact the rookie has remains to be seen.

We could easily end up 11-5. We could just as easily end up 8-8.

Sure we only lost to the SB champs by 3. Then again Jax blew us out badly. This team has its ups and downs but is still a few good players away IMO.

I really hope your right, but too many questions linger for me to start thinking Superbowl just yet.

6. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

Typical Same Old Jets Crap...

The Jets always play NE tough...and should beat Baltimore. I think the Ravens are overrated.

The Giants will be down this season and Philly will struggle. I'm not impressed with Washington and both Pittsburgh and Dallas have new head coaches.

I can see us 5-2 or maybe 6-1 and positioned for the playoffs.

7. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I watched the same thing you did last year and I agree with you 100%! We beat the Pats on a Mud soaked minefield last year and got beat by every other good team we played. The masses seem to think we are on the level with the Ravens, Pats, Chargers and Colts. Reality is not someplace most on this board live in.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets did unexpectedly well in 1998, 2002 and 2006, making the playoffs each time although the odds were against them going into the season. That lead to very high expectations for 1999 and 2003 and the Jets fell of a cliff right out of the gate in those two seasons.

Does 2007 have some real foreboding in it? For me at least it does.

9. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

The reality is that everybody in sports was praising Mangenius and what this team accomplished last season. The reality is that, last season, we had brand new coaches who brought with them a brand new system on both sides of the ball, and the team went 10 and 6.

But hey, I guess I'm living on another planet and those things meant absolutely nothing. And I guess, being that I'm on another planet, I should just throw in the towel, because from what you and others write, we are in for a miserable season. I guess there's no point in watching the games.

10. wmoore29

wmoore29 New Member

week 1

Lets hope TJ is ready to go or it will be a long day:martin:

11. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

i think you take some people's thoughts personally. no jet fan wants to be part of a losing team. we all want a winner!!! but to look at this team reallistically, the talent is not there yet. we are indeed rebuilding and need a couple more drafts to compete with the top echelon teams. we don't have the talent throughout the team and can't compete with the other top teams depth wise!! (colts,pats,san di,bears, etc,etc,etc)
    one has to look back at last year and be proud of what the team and coaching staff accomplished, for sure. but we should be honest with our expectation's also. we had virtually no injuries throughout the year. and then throw in our weak schedule(i know, i know, you hate to hear it, but it's true) and one has to admit, the football gods were more than generous to the jets. for a team to go without any major injuries is unheard of in today's football. if the jets have to rely on their depth last year, no playoffs is a very good possibility.
    so in closing, this team does not have the talent to compete with the big boy's, and thats all fourth and myself have been saying. without the green glasses on....

12. BigGreenUgly

BigGreenUgly Well-Known Member

Dolphins come to mind. :)

13. wmoore29

wmoore29 New Member

the Bills are the ones who give us a hard time if we don't have a decent ground game:buffaloblows:

14. FOURTHANDLONG

The Reality is everything went as perfect as Perfect can get. We had the easiest schedule in Football. We basically had no injuries. We beat 9 bad teams and beat the Pats once in a game where the elements played the biggest role in the outcome of the game. I think the Jets will be competitive this year and I think we have a S/B caliber coach. I just think that both or our lines are not ready for the show and I feel Pennington will never be ready for the big show. We have a real schedule (ON Paper) this year. Only time will tell if luck had alot to do with last years record. Mangenious was being praised for having the team prepared to do what they had to do. Beat teams that were better than us. The Media also talked about our weak schedule and lack of injuries as well. I don't care about the bills and the Raiders of the world. What did the Jets do against the good teams we played this year?

15. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

This is false. We had the 6th ranked strength of schedule out of the 12 playoff teams based on opponents combined record.

We were very lucky with injuries last season though we have some tough players that played through a lot of pain (Mangold, Coles). We're already seeing WAY more injuries this season.

The Pats played in the same weather we did. We were in every game we lost with the exception of the Jacksonville game. We were up on the Superbowl champion Colts with about 2 minutes left in the game. Don't forget we should have won the Browns game too. The Pats played nearly the same schedule we did.

Agreed.

With the exception of 3 teams (NE, IND, SD), we won't know for sure who the good teams are until at least half way through the season. I agree with your point though, what can we do against the best teams?

16. FOURTHANDLONG

What was our strength of schedule comapared to teams like Denver, Jacksonville. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati who did not make the playoffs. I feel that if we played the teams they did we would not have made the playoffs and I also feel that all of those teams are better than us this year. Pitt could have had a post S/B lax, Jacksonville has the D, Cincinnati has the Offense granted their players stay out of jail and I think Denver can seriously compete for the superbowl. Im not worried about SD, Ind and Ne because we know they will be there. The other teams that on our level now seem to be better prepared to take the next step than we are. Great coaching can go but so far if you don't have the horses.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

You really need to start using paragraphs. It's very difficult to read this mess.

Code:
    Team  		Opponents' '06 win pct.
    Raiders  	.539
    Bills 	    	.539
    Patriots 	.535
    Titans 		.520
    Colts 		.516
    Chiefs 		.516
    [B]Jets         .516[/B]
    Dolphins 	.512
    [B]Steelers 	.512
    Bengals 	.512[/B]
    Ravens 		.508
    Browns 		.508
    [B][B]Jaguars 	.508[/B]
    Broncos 	.504[/B]
    Lions 		.504
    Texans 		.504
    Chargers 	.504
    Redskins 	.500
    Vikings 	.500
    Eagles 		.500
    Cowboys 	.496
    Giants 		.496
    Packers 	.492
    Seahawks 	.488
    Saints 		.484
    Panthers 	.477
    Buccaneers 	.473
    Rams 		.473
    Falcons 	.473
    49ers 		.469
    Bears 		.465
    Cardinals 	.461

18. FOURTHANDLONG

Im at work so it it?s hard to sit there and prepare a book report for Gang Green. I will try better.

This is a classic case of Jet fan Stat Manipulation to cloud the truth. To try to make it seem like we did more than we did. We beat NE once and a bunch of scrubs the rest of the way!

1.Cincy had to play Baltimore 2 times, Pitt 2 times, Sd, Ne, Den, Kc, No and Ind. This looks a whole lot harder than our schedule!
    2. Jacksonville had to play Indy 2 times, Ne, Dallas, Baltimore, Kc, Philly and Pitt
    3. Denver had to play Sd 2 times, Cin, Seattle, Indy, Kc 2 times, Pitt and Ne
    4. Pitt had to play Baltimore 2 times, Cincy 2 times, Sd, Kc, No and Denver.

Are you going to tell me we had a tougher schedule than these teams we beat out for a playoff spot. We played Ne 2 times and split and lost to ever other good team we played. Are you going to seriously tell me that we had a stronger schedule than these teams?

19. FOURTHANDLONG

This is the true strength of schedule. I don't know where this mess came from.

2006 NFL Strength of Schedule
    From James Alder,
    Your Guide to Football.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Apr 25 2006

Calculations for this 2006 NFL strength of schedule are based on the final records of all teams for the 2005 season.

Team / (Opponent's winning percentage)

Cincinnati Bengals (.543)
    New York Giants (.543)
    New Orleans Saints (.539)
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers (.539)
    Pittsburgh Steelers (.531)
    Kansas City Chiefs (.527)
    Tennessee Titans (.527)
    Baltimore Ravens (.523)
    Houston Texans (.523)
    Philadelphia Eagles (.520)
    Oakland Raiders (.516)
    Washington Redskins (.516)
    Denver Broncos (.516)
    Cleveland Browns (.512)
    St. Louis Rams (.508)
    Atlanta Falcons (.508)
    Carolina Panthers (.504)
    Dallas Cowboys (.504)
    Arizona Cardinals (.500)
    San Diego Chargers (.488)
    Jacksonville Jaguars (.488)
    Indianapolis Colts (.484)
    San Francisco 49ers (.477)
    Buffalo Bills (.477)
    Detroit Lions (.473)
    New England Patriots (.473)
    Miami Dolphins (.469)
    New York Jets (.465)
    Minnesota Vikings (.457)
    Seattle Seahawks (.457)
    Green Bay Packers (.449)
    Chicago Bears (.445)

20. WhiteShoeWillis

First of all, I am not "manipulating" any stats buddy. I gave you the exact strength of schedule percentages from last year and you asked for them!

The only point I'm trying to make is that our schedule was not as weak as a lot of people make it out to be. You stated as a matter of fact that the Jets had "the easiest schedule in football" last year. If anything, YOU were the one manipulating.

Prior to last season, the strength of schedule of our scheduled opponents was close to the bottom of the pack. I believe that this is the reason why people have the false perception that our schedule was so weak. As it turned out, a lot of the teams that sucked in 2005 were a lot better in 2006. Such is life in the NFL now a days.

Do I think our schedule was stronger than these other teams? Probably not, but there's probably not much difference when you're talking about tenth's of a percent. I think our schedules were probably a lot closer in strength than you think.

Beating NE in NE is no easy task regardless of the conditions. Why people keep downplaying this, I don't know. It's not like they blew us out the 2 times we lost to them either.

Again, the only game we were out of last year was the Jax game. The rest of the games could have gone either way IMO. We weren't that far away from competing with the elite teams. Are we there yet? I don't think so, but we're not that far away.

As far as being at work and not wanting to write a "book report", it doesn't take too long to hit the damn enter key.