Thomas Jones injured - strained calf - hopes to be back for opener

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DaBallhawk, Aug 12, 2007.

1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

August 12, 2007

Jones Limps Off Practice Field

Uh, oh.

Jets RB Thomas Jones limped off the practice field this afternoon after hurting his right ankle in a non-contact drill.

In a running back/linebacker drill, Jones was preparing to block LB Brad Kassell in a one-on-one, but he crumpled to the ground when he planted with his right foot.

Jones immediately took off his shoe. He limped to the side, where his ankle was heavily taped. A few minutes, he limped off to the locker room.

A serious injury would be a crushing blow to the Jets, who traded for Jones and gave him a four-year, $20 million contract.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It could just be a sprain. That'd be out for the preseason and back again pretty soon. He's 29 so you have to wonder how well he'll mend.

3. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Keep him out of practice and preseason games till he perfectly fine then....he better take the week off and not try to be a hero and get back to practice

4. boomer

boomer Active Member

I hope to God it's just a mild sprain.

5. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

If he walked off on his own I'd say it's a mild sprain... with the shape he keeps himself in I'm not too worried

6. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

yeh I agree he looks conditioned, also when watching the game and seeing his arms I thought there was something wrong with my TV, wow they were huge

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If it's a high ankle sprain it's really bad news. Sounds like he wasn't touched so it's really hard to figure out what happened.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He planted wrong and 220 lbs wound up where it shouldn't have been.

I'm gonna guess he's just out for the preseason and that'll be a blessing because the staff will get a real chance to look at Leon Washington again and up his percentage of carries next year. It'll be a crime if he's under 150 carries, 200 would be more ideal.

9. Copenhagen

Copenhagen New Member

As long as he doesn't wimp like Beckham that ankle should be fine

10. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Obviously a serious injury would be a real turd in our punchbowl, but better (if a sprain or otherwise) with 3 preseason games to go. I really don't see the need for an established, proven running back to step foot on the field in the first 2 preseason games at all.

Yes, I know it happened during practice, yes I know that the RB and the line have to develope chemistry but If he sits a week or two I will see it as a blessing in disguise. This guys in super condition and hes proven between the tackles. I want him on the field Week 1.

11. YOYOYO

YOYOYO Active Member

if it means anything I was there and he came back out and worked his upper body so I doubt its too bad

12. floridajet

floridajet Member

Sounds great! Still! He should sit the rest of the week or preseason!

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

tweaked ankle... he'll be running by wednesday

14. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/news/story?id=2971409

Sounds like something he'll hopefully be able to shake off an a week or so. If he has to miss Friday's game, fine. Worst case, sounds like he'll sit the rest of the preseason, and ready by week 1. Really can't afford any more serious injuries at this point...

15. Warhound7

Warhound7 New Member

ESPN is reporting as someone else already did on this thread that he walked on the leg, was seen moving his ankle and spent most of practice on the hand bike. he's fine. if they sit him one game, that would be the worst of it.

16. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Well, this sounds good and I'm glad to hear it. Those of you who take sprains lightly, though, need to reexamine your medical knowledge/experience in sports. Ankle sprains can be worse than an actual break in terms of returning to normacly.

In this case, it sounds pretty good, whowever. Let's hope he's back to full speed and cutting ability in several weeks.

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I saw on the evening news a little while ago that Jones had a soft cast on, but the current info on ESPN, and NFL.com is:

I almost had a heart attack when I saw it on the news. Yeah I know, "Rah, Rah, Leon" and all, but Jones is the key to our offense this year.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Especially high ankle sparins as I was saying earlier..they take months to heal.

19. Lemmiwinks

Lemmiwinks Member

Next time something like this happens, make your topic "Jones tweaks ankle." or something. You scared the S*** out of me man!

20. NJrocket24

NJrocket24 Well-Known Member

Don't take any chances with this. I skipped a beat when I saw that headline.