ALL THINGS REVIS - Official Thread - Deal Signed - Thread Locked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by klecko73, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

finally some good news

-------------------------------------

JETS CAMP
    Folks seem unhappy right now
    Home News Tribune Online 08/4/07

Post a comment. View latest comments.
    By ANDREW GROSS
    STAFF WRITER

Mike Tannenbaum's second season as Jets general manager has been far more nettlesome than 2006 as he deals with twin headaches.

First-rounder Darrelle Revis is not in training camp, while disgruntled veteran Pete Kendall is. Now, Kendall's fellow offensive line starter, Brandon Moore, also has hinted he'd like a better deal.

Kendall and Revis both are represented by Montebello N.Y.-based agent Neil Schwartz.

"Everybody has a tough time with the salary cap and the roster," Tannenbaum said Friday. "We want to run a first-class organization, and we've tried to create solutions. Some are easier than others."

Kendall wants $1 million added to his $1.7 million salary for this season, but the Jets don't want to renegotiate given Kendall has three years left on his contract. The Jets are believed to be $10 million under the salary cap.

Kendall, who repeatedly has ripped the way Tannenbaum and coach Eric Mangini have handled the situation while requesting the team either trade or release him, often has pointed out the Jets re-did his original deal with three years left to gain cap relief.

Recently, Kendall suggested some teammates and coaches have privately expressed support for him.

While maintaining any disciplinary action against Kendall for his strong words would be an internal matter, Tannenbaum seemed to indicate no steps have been take yet.

"We only take action if and when we think it's necessary," Tannenbaum said. "It's a significant step. It wouldn't be taken lightly."

Tannenbaum does not believe Kendall's outspokenness on the matter will divide the team, nor make the Jets unattractive to free agents in the future.

"I'm proud of our track record for us and for the work Eric and his staff have done in allowing players to get better," Tannenbaum said. "At the end of the days, those are the ones we want to attract."

Tannenbaum moved up 11 spots in April's draft to take Revis with the 14th overall selection. But negotiations hit a snag with Revis seeking a five-year deal ? as every first-rounder from No. 6 on down who's signed has received ? and the Jets offering a six-year contract.

"The lines of communication are open, and we're working hard for something that works best for both sides," said Tannenbaum, adding length of contract is not the only sticking point. "We have a couple of issues. Based on Neil's track record and our track record, hopefully we'll find a resolution that works for both sides."

Schwartz declined comment when reached Friday.

NOTE: The Jets waived linebacker Mark Zalewski.

http://www.thnt.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070804/SPORTS01/708040334

2. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Mike T F'd this negotiation up big time. You can't have the Patriots arrogance until you win like the Patriots. Now if he gives in it sets a bad precedent for future negotiations and if he doesn't he is hurting the team this year. We are already at the point where we can forget about Revis contributing from the start. Really bad job by the FO on this one..

3. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

"A couple of issues" ... not surprised at all.

(Any chance you and the "just-give-him-5-years" people finally quiet down a little.)

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. If he starts missing preseason games then it could be a problem. Yea he's hurting himself by missing the beginning of TC, but it's impossible to say whether or not that will mean he can't contribute at the beginning of the season.

5. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

yes, i totally expected mike t to say "it's only the length of the contract. blame me, not his agent. im so sorry jets fans" :rolleyes:

6. Attackett

that sounds more like Mike T is about to give in on the 5 year deal and he doesn't want it to sound like he is giving in. They should have just given him 5 years before training camp started.

7. Attackett

It is hard enough for a rookie cb to make an immediate impact with a full TC, he has already missed a good chunk of TC with really no end in sight at this point. I think it is wishful thinking on your part to expect him to make an impact right away at this point. Bottomline is he has to get into camp right away..

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

You make it sound like there are two contracts on the table, one with 5-years and one with 6-years and all the Jets have to do is "give-in" and sign the 5-year contract.

There are other contract issues (many, i believe stemming from agents scared about the PR of a "bad contract") that no but the agent and Tannenbaum know about related to what each wants if it is a 5-year or a 6-year deal.

9. Attackett

it is a very simple negotiation.. Mike T said it himself. He will get less than the 13th pick and more thn the 15th pick. This should have been done a week ago & Revis should have been in camp. Don't kid yourself into believing that this wouldn't have been done if a 5 year deal more than the 15th pick got would have been offered..

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If he's on the field and doing his job he's contributing. He doesn't have to come out of the gate and shut down Moss (though that would be nice). He's was also slotted for PR duty. If nothing more they should be able to have him ready to do that, and that means he'll be making an impact.

11. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Don't be so naive...nfl contracts aren't "simple" and negotiates aren't "simple" either. The structure of money and bonuses are complicated in light of the each team's cap situation this season and going forward. That is why you have 5-year deals, 6-year w/voidable years, and 6-year deals all getting done. Furthermore you have money being doled out in option bonuses, roster bonuses, signing bonuses, workout bonuses, etc....not to mention all the other contract points that I have no idea about.

Yep, that sounds like a simple negotiation. (And if you don't think the Kendall situation factors into this, you are kidding yourself.)

What are your thoughts on Beason's situation?

#211 BlairThomas#1, Aug 4, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  12. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

this is what JetFighter was talking about earlier when you replied, "who cares what he did 15 years ago?"

track records matter in many different situations.

cheers

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Revis's holdout is very unfortunate. It is something the Jets haven't had to deal with for quite awhile. I hope this does not go on much longer because Revis is a rookie and he needs to practice hard if he expects to be ready.

The classic outcome to this is usually a late signing midway through pre-season or later. He starts to get some game time in September; gets badly injured and is out for the year. I hope this does not happen but this is often the scenario that plays out.

A lot of first round picks bust for this very reason.

Man, I hope this works out soon.......................

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This is the critical point that so many are missing.

If this were just about one year, I'm pretty confident that even the hardest hardass would have relented to get their #1 pick into camp. There are clearly other issues at work here.

No one finds it strange that we have yet to hear from Revis' agent? If this were a matter of one single year, I'm confident that at the very least, when he was tracked for comment, he would state quite clearly that the Jets were being ridiculous in their demand for a single year.

The Kendall situation is affecting this. If you don't believe that, you're flying with the blinders on. However, I'm sure there is much more than just the Kendall situation coupled with the contract length. Tanny has already stated he knows the money will be between the bookend draftees around Revis, so that's probably not even a component of the problems at this point. If the agent is looking for more, it could be, but I wouldn't give more to Revis than the guy picked ahead of him.

There's more to this story. I just wish we could get to the end of the book already.

15. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

The thing that grinds my gears about all this is that Kendall AND Revis have the same agent! No one can tell me that he isn't holding Revis's contract "hostage" while he tries to get Kendall's demands done first.

16. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Pretty valid point here. It is very thoughtless on the part of the agent; toying with somebody's career (Revis's) for a player who is well past their prime (Ken Doll).

17. Attackett

Agents deal with this crap all the time, one client unhappy while trying to do what is best for another client. This has zero to do with Pete Kendall, Neil Schwartz would never have another client again if it did.. And if anyone thinks he would sacrifice his career for a player at the end of their career, you guys are kidding yourselves..

#217 Attackett, Aug 4, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  18. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Here's a funny thought that Revis must have at least considered in the equation: What if this gets so bad that he decides to reenter the draft in 2008 and he gets drafted in the top 16 of the first round again. Team #2 presents its initial offer of umpteen million over six years. Revis's five year demand would have effectively tied him up for seven years. Not that I see this happening; I just find the possibility interesting.

In the end, I think the Jets should - and will - sign the kid to a five-year contract.

19. jnjoewilly

jnjoewilly New Member

COMMENT DELETED.

20. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

Off color joke though it may be, take a few days off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.