Brad Smith now competing at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's interesting how consistently Kellen Clemens has been dissed by the media over the last season. I'm guessing he's not a particularly nice guy because everybody takes advantage of the opportunity to get digs in.

With Chad you had a bunch of "not sure what we have here" type comments relayed to us by the media, however his personality was such that nobody wanted to take digs at him.

2. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

It does open up some more serious competition at the backup spot, as well as give Clemens a little kick in the ass. It also makes Smith more unpredictable when he lines up at QB. Last year, opposing teams knew that he wasn't going to throw the ball when he took the snap. This year, there's going to be the danger that he will let one fly instead of only running with it.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I agree, I don't like the idea of calling him a QB. What this really says is that after chad, we got nuthin...oh to have drafted leinart *sigh*. Unless we are giving him some real QB snaps just to beef up his "special" play repertoire, then it just seems like wasted time that clemens could be practicing at QB and smith needs at WR. Maybe Mangini just thinks he's better than tui? I hope that's all it is. It's not like he was a great receiver either (9 receptions for 61 yards is pathetic, although he did get us 5 first downs).

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Could have had Brady Quinn this year for a hell of a lot less then we paid for a holdout CB too.

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I know this is complete wild speculation... but what if Mangini is attempting to get Smiths name at QB to trade him to the Falcons to replace Vick? Or even more wild than that... maybe they're looking to trade Clemens?

It just struck me as very odd how much emphasis Mangini put on the fact that Smith is now a QB.

6. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

This is an all around terrible decision. Not only will he never be a true NFL QB, as a starter or a backup, they are destroying any progression he made as a WR last season. As a 4th round WR he was looking like he could be a viable asset to the offense, probably never as a starter, but as a bigger wideout with speed and intelligence. As a 4th round QB, he's a flat out bad investment. There's a reason he was never seen as an NFL QB despite his success in school. Nothing ruins a young player's progression like numerous position changes.

7. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

A few thoughts here...

1. Is it possible they've kinda liked Smith as a QB all along (but not as much as Clemons at the time of the draft), but knowing they already had Ramsey last year allowed them to take advantage of his athleticism at other postitions (and learn the offense) while having him in the fold for the future?

2. If that's not the case, perhaps in the few plays/practice reps he got last year he surprised them with his ability and forced them to re-consider the original position switch?

3. Regardless, I think this switch may be something Mangini is doing to maximize roster/"gameday active" spots allowing him to have the most players available on gameday? (I'm having trouble getting my brain around exactly how this would look, but Mangini is really smart which makes me think there is more to this then meets the eye...this guy doesn't do ANYTHING without having thought it through at multiple levels.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Getting the feeling now that Clemens was just plain over hyped. When was the last time you heard anything good about the guy? He sucked in mop up duty last year, didn't impress in the preseason last year, and now early reports are that his foot work was bad, his accuracy was average, and he's has about as much zip on the ball as Penny.

Now Smith is in the mix? Things just don't look good for Clemens right now no matter what kind of positive spin anyone tries to put on it.

9. Don

Just not sure, if that is the case, why they would have brought in Tuiasosopo then. It still could be a smokescreen or it could be that somebody isn't healthy and we just haven't heard about it yet. It seems this was a late decision. Could be that Clemens is the one on the way out. He was demoted to #3 at one point last year and as recently as June 8th this was reported about him:

"Kellen Clemens has reportedly been "erratic" during OTA season.
    Jets coach Eric Mangini attributes it to the installation of new plays and experimentation. Clemens isn't going to have a chance to pass Chad Pennington on the depth chart unless he is playing his best."

Maybe he doesn't have the smarts for the job.

#29 Don, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  10. Don

And on the other side of that argument is the fact that Michael Vick was suppose to be the next coming of sliced bread and he has been not much more then a great scrambler. The two aren't all that dissimiliar so who knows?

11. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

He'll be a WR during the season, almost guaranteed.

12. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

it could mean that the Jets only have to carry 2 QBs (Penny & Clemens), and have Brad Smith be the #3, which gives them more flexibility in the roster

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I don't know why all the consternation. All Mangini basically said was, "We like what Brad Smith brings to the table at this position." I think he's talking about the variety of plays and the diverse possibilities Smith is capable of when he lines up under center. It's one more way to drive opposing DEFs nuts and I think it's a great idea.

As far as Clemens, I watched him in TC last year and I found him quite impressive in the early workouts, so I don't know what all the negativety is here about him. I don't think we saw enough of him in preseason games last year to say he sucked there either and it was his first year. And I don't know what transpired at the earlier camp this year... I hadn't heard anything particularly damning about that either.

So, I think Clemens deserves one more camp and preseason to really sort out what we've got. And as far as Smith goes, hell, the more variety he brings to the table the more I like it.

14. section331flagman

section331flagman Active Member

Look at it this way, if we ever do get down to our #3 QB we are screwed anyway, I.E 2005!

15. section331flagman

section331flagman Active Member

Lets call em like we see em shall we? Nuge is FAR from " a little weak" in this area. The Jets opponents averaged the highest starting field position against in the NFL last year. Not because of special teams, we do have the best special teams coach IN THE GAME! Nugents kickoffs were the worst in the NFL by FAR! Not acceptable NFL caliber! I remember kickoffs going to the 18, THE 18! Most of them the 10! No good, We need someone else to kickoff, PERIOD! Field position is SOOOO important in the midst of a game, it can win or lose games week in and week out!

16. Rhodes Scholar

I agree that Mangini is probably just trying to maximize each of his roster spots with Smith's versatility. I think he also wants to maximize Smith's impact on the team for THIS year. I think right now he views McCareins as the 3rd wideout and the best way to get Smith into the game is on trick plays from the wide receiver and the QB spot. I think he wants Smith to feel comfortable under center so they can run some options for Smith out of the QB spot.

17. GreenMachine

Fixed:) ....

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Mangini's just saying all of this, so that when Brad Smith is on the field, other team's get scared of trick plays. He's so versatile that teams are going to see him come out of the huddle and think Reverse Pass, Pitch Pass, or even Double Pass...when he could just run a normal route and still draw double coverage as a 4th receiver. He's going to be a decoy...and just when they see him as a decoy, the trick plays will be used.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

You're right- those 3 plays that he was in for were the absolute worst.

Someone shoot Kellen...

20. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

This is what I'm talking about. I'm going to go to camp tomorrow and look him over real good...