2007 Countdown to NFL Opening Kickoff

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WhiteShoeWillis, Jun 2, 2007.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

That was life back then, we'd get excited every year only to be disappointd. I honstly believe the fake spike and the 2 embarrassing years after that helped us. We stopped being a team that was a playoff contender every 4-5 years and it forced hess to hire BP which made us into a good franchise and ever since we have been contenders barring a few disastrous injury season.

On to #46

Bill Baird
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I couln't find Trevor Matich who wore 46 for a few games in 1991 as a back TE.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Agreed.

Nice. I love old pics and highlights from Shea, really brings me back. As a Jet and non-Met fan, I'm going to be kind of sad when they knock the place down.

3. nyjunc

I will be very sad when they tear down Shea, that's whereI went to my first game in 1983.

[​IMG]

Earl Christy
    [​IMG]

interesting website on Earl:

http://www.chimachine4u.com/earl.html

Otis Smith
    [​IMG]

I am disappointed I couldn't find kirk Springs, Dwayne Crutchfield or Tony Stargell.

4. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

My first game was in 1981, the AFC Wildcard game against the Bills. I went with my dad, and that was the first time the Jets had made the playoffs since the 1969 team. At the 10 year reunion, they said if the Jets every made the playoffs again, that would fly up the old team and give them tickets so that they could see the game. It was awesome watching a game at Shea.

5. Italian Seafood

That was a classic game, last playoff game ever at Shea. Not that there were that many, but the couple there were were great ones.

6. nyjunc

That was a great game w/ a bad ending. '81 is the first year I can remember Jet games so it was a very special year for me.

John Riggins
    [​IMG]

Corwin Brown
    [​IMG]

I couldn't find lonnie Young who was #44 in his 2nd stint w/ the Jets, I also couldn't find Tom Newton.

7. Italian Seafood

Riggins was my favorite player when I started watching the Jets in 1974. I remember him dragging four tacklers about ten yards in the first game I watched. Tom Newton was always a favorite, too.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Riggins was my favorite back then too. The whole thing with the Mohawk and all... quite controversial at the time and today it seems so trivial. I was heartbroken when he left for the Redskins. I always knew he was a special player.

But I have no love for Shea at all, other than seeing some great games there. The place reminds me of how NY shafted the Jets all those years, making them play in a baseball stadium. They didn't even make attempts "footballize" it either... Jets players running all over the pitcher's mound and dirt and mud in the infield. Ridiculous... and a real shithouse to boot.

9. Italian Seafood

As a logical adult I agree with you, but as a kid Shea was where the Jets played, so I liked it. Especially when we got good and it was a great home field advantage, I was mad when they moved.

I'll never forget the 1981 finale at home vs Green Bay when we had to win to make the playoffs. Green Bay came into Shea with that passing game of Lofton and Jefferson and they had no chance. Between the winds and the Sack Exchange they were done from the opening kickoff. We've never had that since.

10. nyjunc

Mike Brim
    [​IMG]

Roger Vick
    [​IMG]

11. Italian Seafood

Wow, #43 hasn't been kind to the NYJs. Vick was one of the all time worst draft picks and the lasting memory of Mike Brim is being toasted at 0:00 of regulation in the infamous MNF meltdown at Chicago.

12. nyjunc

Don't forget vance Joseph and his great game against tim Brown in 1995:grin: :mad: :sad:

Randy Beverly(top right)
    [​IMG]

Bruce Harper
    [​IMG]

13. nyjunc

42(cont.)

John Booty
    [​IMG]

Ronnie Lott
    [​IMG]

Marcus Coleman
    [​IMG]

Sam Garnes
    [​IMG]

14. Italian Seafood

I forgot he was #43, but the game is burned in. One of the low points in franchise history. The only silver lining was I got to watch the game in my apartment instead in public because it was a Sunday night game. I lived in Maryland then, so seeing the Jets at home on TV was a rare treat.

When I think of a Jets #42, he was the first guy to come to mind.

A little nyjunc "Name the Game".... Harper is from 1983 at San Francisco--an impressive win in a disappointing year.

Marcus Coleman
    [​IMG]

This is from November, 1999. I think the only game we won with Rick Mirer, I was there. Keyshawn broke off a long TD to save us late. Ray Lucas had taken the job and then got hurt, so we were stuck with Mirer for a few more games.

#194 Italian Seafood, Jul 27, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  15. JW69

JW69 New Member

Harper - fellow KU Alumni. No not Kansas University the other KU. Kutztown University. A little more trivia. There are two other famous (on the second one I use that term loosely) KU Alumni. Who are they? Hint...One has been to the superbowl 4 times and the other has a superbowl ring.

16. nyjunc

Correct all around. I am not 100% sure where the Booty pic is from but it looks like Cincy '88. The beverly pic is obviously SB III, Lott is at Miami 1993, Garnes is vs. GB 2002.

Andre Reed is the player who appeared in 4 SBs.

17. nyjunc

Matt Snell
    [​IMG]

Keith Byars
    [​IMG]

18. Italian Seafood

We haven't had a lot of #41s. I forgot they gave it to Byars.

For the life of me I can't figure out what game that is--looks like at New Orleans but I don't remember playing there when Byars was on the team. I thought we had him and Meggett for about five games at the end of 1998, but I could be mistaken. We played at New Orleans in 2001 in the Kyle Turley ejection game, same night as Yankees-Arizona Game 7, but I didn't think Byars was around that long.

#198 Italian Seafood, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  19. nyjunc

Byars was only around in 1998 and he got hurt late in the year then they signed meggett. That pic is from the 24-3 win at vanderbilt against the Tennessee Oilers a week after the Indianapolis debale where we blew that game late. His last reg season game was the Seatle ame, I remember he caught a TD in that game into the blank end zone. if you remember they had a problem w/ the EZ cutout and so they had to ditch th Jets EZ for that game and he scored a TD in that EZ to give the jets an early lead.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

John Mobley