Paul Oliver (4th Rd.) and Jared Gaither (5th Rd.)?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by man2man_cover, Jul 12, 2007.

1. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

I can't believe that Oliver, a top flight CB with potential 1st Rd. grade and Gaither, a huge OL with a tremdous upside, were taken so low in the 2007 Supplemental Draft.

Couldn't Tangini offer up next years 4th and 5th Round picks and grab these two potential contributors one year early? Seems like both may have been worth the risk based on their talent. Both could have definitely bolstered two units in need of bolstering.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/12/bc.fbn.supplementaldraf.ap/index.html

2. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Do you know how the supplemental draft works? It's a crap shoot. You submit that you want to make a pick, via email. It's a big gamble to see how long someone will last. Experts said Oliver would go in the 7th of the supplemental, and he went early.

I'm personally not a fan of the supplemental draft. Mangini wants smart players... not guys who are immature, and flunk out of school.

3. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Im just upset we didnt put a bid for either Oliver or Gaither we couldnt get both realistically even though it was posible, just put a bid for Oliver for the 4th and we would have had him.And the same in the 5th for Gaither, but whatever.

4. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

there was no need to pick up oliver. as for gaither, i guess our coaching staff didnt like him at all, otherwise we wouldve drafted him in the 4th or 5th. who cares, hes a headcase

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

So tell me, how do you know they didn't put a bid in for either player?

6. TheGreenBrickRhode

TheGreenBrickRhode New Member

Your right how do You know. My guess is they didn't put a bid though, due to wanting smart players. All reports say Gaither maybe talented but how do you flunk out of a state school why would Tangini want a guy like that.

7. abyzmul

The Jets taking a flyer on a malcontent like Kevan Barlow will continue to put a kink in the 'Mangini Guy' doctrine for me. I know it was their 1st season, but it doesn't set much of a precedent for a young organization like that.

8. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Unless Oliver is a natural NFL player he won't amount to much , from what I've seen and read. The guy is a grade A dumbass who makes Justin Miller look like Einstein

9. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Georgia Cornerback Paul Oliver Turns in Mediocre Workout for NFL Scouts

Paul Oliver, the Georgia cornerback who left school before the spring semester, worked out for NFL scouts today in anticipation of the NFL supplemental draft. The results were not particularly encouraging.

DraftHeadquarters.com reports that Oliver ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.5-4.58 range and had a 33.5 inch vertical jump.Draft Headquarters sees Oliver as a second- or third-round pick, while RotoWorld is calling him likely no higher than a third rounder.

I was fairly high on Oliver, but I'm a little disappointed to learn that he can't break 4.5 in the 40. I don't think any team will use a 2008 first-day pick on him, and even the fourth round might be a stretch. Still, some team will take a shot on him in the July 13 supplemental draft, and he'll be in an NFL training camp in six weeks.

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

You label Barlow as a malcontent.... The Jets meanwhile have security people do background checks, interview people and interview the player....

It's not up to us to determine who's a malcontent and who's not - If they felt Barlow could fit in, then that's fine..... From what I read Barlow said the right things...... And his problem here wasn't being a malcontent AT ALL!!!!

So, YOUR Mangini Doctrine has a kink in it... Not Mangini's.....

I laugh when people get all excited - OH MY, the Yankees are changing their way and have deviated from THE YANKEE WAY".... "Oh My The Patriots signed Moss, they have now deviated from the Patriot Way"......

Whatever - it's a case by case basis and it's human beings..... There are no guarantees wither way but, you do your best to have the majority of guys be top character guys.

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

History working against supplemental draft picks

12. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Yes I do. Had we submitted a bid for either player at the rounds they were taken, we would have sangged them since we would have picked earlier than the teams that got them.

The teams that did "gamble" on them DO have reputations for having top-notched personnel departments. The two teams with the most Pro Bowlers....so go figure.

#12 man2man_cover, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

But it's all done in secret. The Jets wouldn't have known what round other teams put in for those players. Sure, we could have put in a 4th, but there's no way to know if another team put in for a 3rd or 5th either. Maybe we put in a 5th or 6th rounder, but the Chargers won out. You never know.

14. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

The JETS should have done whatever it took to get OT Jared Gaither. Like most cloumnists would say, you can't teach 6'9 350 pounds. Just look at Mr. Ferguson struggling to get to 300 pounds. The Ravens got a steal on their hands and I would not be one bit surprised if Gaither was the starting RT for the Ravens this year, and the eventual replacement for Jonathan Ogden in the near future and the JETS have to face the Ravens and JET killer Willis McGahee week 2 of the 07 season.

15. JETFAN stranded in DC

Bottom line - Academically ineligible players are not Mangini guys.

16. abyzmul

I guess I'm the only one that read the article where he compared his former HC to Adolf Hitler. AFTER HE WAS TRADED TO THE JETS.

#16 abyzmul, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

OK.. So the "Mangini Doctrine" is DEAD.

18. Toon is God

Toon is God Active Member

Oliver is too slow for CB and too small for safety...

19. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

bahahaha :rofl2:

the guy needs at least 2-3 more years until he's ready to start. he will probably not even make the active roster this year. the ravens already have their 2 starters (ogden, terry) and a backup in yanda.

20. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

We should have grabbed Gaither .. well, we didn't to anything to bolster our weak OL. Let's pray a trade or cut awaits.

OH NO! Nevermind...we're STILL a rebuilding team. Alas, yet ANOTHER, "wait until next year" season.

Hope we finish poorly so we can draft a few high picks, WHICH WILL TAKE ANOTHER FEW YEARS TO DEVELOPE.

It ain't easy being green.