Opinion Poll Of Jets from Yester-years: Herman Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 29, 2007.

?

Overall, Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Herman Edwards

1. Favorable

22.1%
  2. Unfavorable

77.9%
  1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

When did Herm compete in the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP game? You also must not have read your cohort Junc post that Herm will never/ever win a SB so why would you want him as your coach since the goal is to become WORLD CHAMPIONs?

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I never said he competed in a Championship game. And it isn't impossible for Herm to make the SB and win with a team. It can happen. I would not put my money on it happening, but it is possible. :lol: Do I want him as coach over Mangini? Hell no! :eek:hmy: After seeing last year I believe that we are in a better position for the future. But that does not mean that I have to think Herm is a horrible coach, because he truly is not.

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You're a fortune teller now, champ? You're giving Bellichick one, two, maybe even three more but Herm has no chance even though he's proven he can get to the post season on a regular basis? And oddly, your crystal ball always seems to beef up your argument, even if the stuff in it never actually happens.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I think Belichick has one more SB run left in him and he'll make it there and lose the big game. After that he'll have 2-3 more mediocre seasons and then end up leaving New England, taking a year off and heading to coach some other place. Never to find his former glory again. If I had to bet how his future would turn out this is it. He's peaked. He'll always be a great coach but he will never capture that magic again.

5. championjets69

In looking at what Belly has done you have to say besides winning for the sake of winning he wants to go out as the winningest SB coach ever. Also I said it is the "experts" opinion not my own even though I do think he has a great shot of it coming to fruitation. What that "it" is Herm lacks it plain & simple. One of biggest complaints against him was he could not compete with Belly & since Belly coaches in our division that meant he had to go. Common sense tells U that

#145 championjets69, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. championjets69

To me he did not have what it takes to be a SB winning HC which is why I wanted him gone. Herm better rub every rabbit foot in the world & every budda he sees & wear jade & all that because this year he will begin the back slide & depending how bad it is he may not last the season in KC.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

:lol: A little luck never hurt anyone. Hell most teams have had their share of luck going the distance, too.

8. championjets69

Well if had that "it" + the luck we would be SB Champs already. Again as I say I believe he will begin the back slide in KC this season

9. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

We will see. I think they may actually have a pretty good season providing the QB situation pans out. But with LJ to hand off to how hard does it have to be? I think he'll enjoy at least 3 seasons at KC. After that it will start to get hard if he is not delivering much more.

10. championjets69

Yes we will C but I think U are looking at them with red colored glasses on. I am looking at them thru very dark glasses. In fact our game against them will mean nothing to them when the time comes is MHO

11. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I reckon KC will be doing well to finish 6-10.

12. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

My opinion of him is NOT unfavorable at all. The man got us to the playoffs 3 times in his 5 year tenure as HC.

However, there was MAJOR room for improvement, especially with regards to his time mgmt and how he handled his rookies or lack there of.

Overall I think Herm did a decent job as an HC, but I am NOT sad to see him go, even though I was a Herm support, because Mangini is THE MAN!

13. championjets69

Yep that is my reckoning as well. Next year either 4-10 or 5-11

14. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You guys made these predictions about Herm last year at KC too and we all see how that turned out. Even with the hole in his OL and losing his starting QB he managed to steer his team to the postseason - a feat that Vermeil hadn't accomplished in the last couple of years. But hey, if you bet on the same horse enough times you just may hit pay dirt eventually. :up:

15. GreenMachine

He took a prolific offense and turned them to mush. Then he had the hot hand with Huard and dumped him for Green, who he now is throwing under the bus...

16. KSJets

KSJets New Member

KC have a special schedule where they only play 14 games?

17. njjet

njjet Member

I liked Herm as a person. As a coach he was too easy on the players. It all started with off season training. Herm would not require the players to attend the off season programs. I believe that was one of the reasons the Jest suffered so many injuries in his last season. Additionally, he was not a very good game day coach. His time management left something to be desired. I also question some of the acquisitions during his tenure. I believe you build a team with excellent defensive and offensive linemen. During his time we did not bring in one stellar offensive lineman. If fact, we lost several during his tenure. :jets:

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

They didn't get off to a great start and the injuries and everything else had its effect on the offense. And I never said Herm was perfect. :lol: Nevertheless, he does manage to keep his head above water the majority of the time.

19. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6-10 KC team win 3 of the last 4 to provide yet more optimism - possibly with LJ coming back off an early season injury. That would give Herm all the excuse he needs to write off the season as not his fault.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No he didn't. That prolific offense that never won a playoff game(and only made the playoffs once) was not close to the same when Herm took over b/c they lost their franchise LT and another startring OL PLUS their AP FB. Then their starting QB goes down in week 1 and it's just like the Herm haters to ignore those facts. By the way, in 2006 they averaged 21 PPG, in 2005 they averaged 25 and KC scored 37 in a meaninglesss week 17 game against Cincy backups or it would ahve ben closer to 23 points so in reality there wasn't much difference btw the '05 O and the '06 O despite all the changes. The biggest difference in the offense wa that larry Johnson wasn't as productive in '06 as he was in '05 and losing his blocking FB along w/ 2 OL starters will do that to a RB.