Opinion Poll Of Jets from Yester-years: Herman Edwards

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, May 29, 2007.

?

Overall, Do you have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of Herman Edwards

1. Favorable

22.1%
  2. Unfavorable

77.9%
  1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The Herm lovers have to keep there fingers crossed that Herm makes it to the game with us

2. MarionBarber31

MarionBarber31 New Member

I enjoyed Herm's tenure. Took us to the playoffs 3 of 4 years (I'll give him a mulligan for the last year...no one could win when your 2 QB's go down in one game and are lost for the season).

That said, I think he was an inferior in-game coach whose clock mismanagment was almost hard to believe...completely inept. His primary strength was his preacher-like motivational skills, which worked well for a few years, but has a limited lifespan. Ultimately, with all his mistakes managing the game, it becomes hard to demand genuine excellence from his players.

So overall, I voted favorable but am very happy he is gone. Good for a while, but destined to be unable to sustain a winning team.

3. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I've been a long time critic of Herm but, I've also watched a lot of Herm and his press conferences and my opinion is that he babbles about sooo much nonesense because he's got no substance - Again, he was never a coordinator and doesn't run the systems - Here even on defense he was at the mercy of Cotrell and then Henderson..... He tried to add something to it but it became a hybrid Tampa Cover two being coached by a 3-4 guy and a bit of a mess with Herm again throwing people under the bus.

I'll be watching this show looking for some kind of substance and FOOTBALL knowledge from the guy and then of course for the pure entertainment value of Herm's Bull......

If Herm suddenly looks somewhat competent in this show, he looks like he's learned from his past and is taking more of a role in actual coaching And KC has a decent year, I could be swayed....

Heck, look at all the people who were wrong about Bellichik who ate crow - I was always a fan of Bellichiks, I'm a fan of most guys who are "Geniuses" of the game - I believe there's a lot of other variables involved and being a genius helps - The early careers of BB troubles and Herm's success are good examples of how a genius can still lose without the parts and a Complete Ass Clown can actually win a few games in spite of himself.

4. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yet for all his lack of knowledge and substance-less appearance Herm continues to boggle all of you by continuing to make the playoffs. And now with 2 different teams!! :lol: It must really annoy the piss out of the 95% you with venom in you about this guy. Yeah, yeah... parity league bennies. We know you got your excuses for his success over ineptitude. :rofl:

5. championjets69

Well I was anti Herm from the second he was hired. To me it was really a message from Woody that quality does not count & we will be doing things on the cheap at least when it comes to HCs which IMHO is why Herm was hired in the 1st place. There was the Tag pressure for a AA that I think also played a role in Woodys decision. Others on the other side claim he was the best of the worst available or in other words was the only who want to come here for less then a 7 figure salary. To my way of thinking Woody did ALL NYJ fans a disservice by hiring Herm as in Woodys heart he had to know Herm would never/ever get us the VL trophy. Even pro Herm posters like NY Junc now also are on board that Herm would never get us the CHAMPIONSHIP so if we as fans knew that you have to believe that Woody also knew that fact. 5 years down the sewer because of his hiring

#125 championjets69, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am sure after BB was 5-11 in '00 which came after his rambling resignation from the Jets that you thought he was going to be a SB winning coach. The bottom line is as big of a genius as BB was he was a failure as a HC until a certain #12 stepped on the field and turned that franchise around.

7. championjets69

So then instead of sticking with #10 why did not Herm scour the country & the world for his own #12?

8. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Those players are available everywhere you look. it's so easy to find a Tom Brady type of QB:breakdance:

9. championjets69

Do not they just grow on all trees?

10. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

YUP - I'm consistently a fan of Head Coaches that can at least take over and be among the best coaching 1 side of the ball.....

Not a big fan of blabbering, know little, cheerleaders.

There happens to be some pretty legit reasons why BB had problems in the past - But, I'm sure that doesn't interest you much, only the numbers, No actually analysis and thinking.. You seem to love Parcells quote " You are what you are"... I think you use that out of context at times - I'd love to hear the opinions that Parcells had on BB and the start of his HC career... I assure you he wasn't foolish enough to think BB wouldn't cut it as a HC based on Cleveland.

11. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

No Boggle - He's as good as his coordinators and talent on the team.. He CAN win and get you to the playoffs but, as Junc says HE IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH..... He's not going to outcoach anyone and give your team an edge when it comes to game plans and adjustments - Simple as that...

KC was a win now team that had the DC and defense in place and on track and had a pretty good Running game to lean on - Yeah, they had injuries but, Any one of us could have let Gunther coach the Defense and handed off to LJ all day and had a shot at squeeking into the playoffs.....

12. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Not at all. I'm actually pissed off that you took it upon yourself to take a blatant cheap shot at me because I started a thread about a topic that you don't like. I don't need my threads to be gold. I just like to learn about different people's opinions.

Well, except for yours, of course.

13. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

You realize Brady was drafted in something like the 6th round, don't you? That means Bellichick passed on him five times, as did everyone else. He was also on the team for better than a season and never sniffed the field until Mo Lewis knocked Drew Bledsoe out of action. Not that Bellichick isn't a great coach and defensive mind, but let's not go crazy, he stepped in the right shit at the right time. That's great for him, but you can't hold everyone else guilty of being inept for not also stepping in it.

14. championjets69

You make it sound like just making the POs is wow wonderful & terrific & gosh darn that HC had a successful season even though the goal before the season starts is to win a CHAMPIONSHIP which you may chose to dismiss since we have not won one in 38 years & counting

15. championjets69

Sure I know what you posted. How does anybody not it is said often enough. I hope when you say everybody else that includes us as well. If the some called experts are correct Belly may become the all time winningest SB coach up to now. For sure he has a spot reserved for him right next to BP.

16. Italian Seafood

If you know it, why are you still giving him credit for "scouring the country" when the guy was on his roster for over a year before getting a chance, and only then due to injury?

Also, Bellichick has three Super Bowl titles. Chuck Noll has four, so BB would need to win two more to pass him. We'll see.

17. championjets69

Chill out I was joking with Junc over it. Yes I also am aware of the Nolls 4 & Bellys 3 but I said IF the experts are correct Belly maybe the winningest SB after next season

#137 championjets69, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  18. Italian Seafood

Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh also have three each. To me Gibbs' are the most impressive because he won all three separately with different QBs and in slightly different time periods. That's harder to do, I think.

19. championjets69

Yes I am aware of that also but Walsh & Gibbs will not win another where BB at least can see 4 & 5 & maybe even 6 in his sights

20. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

It is terrific if you want to win a SB. You have to make the playoffs before you can win a SB, so if you have a coach that can get you there and compete for a title you are winning a part of the battle. We have already had this out before about successful seasons. You can have a successful season and not win a championship. Everyone has different ways of measuring success. I have mine and you have yours. We certainly do not agree on it.

However, on the subject of Herm, I have never seen a coach that gets his team in the playoffs regularly and not be a decent coach at the least. Despite his weaknesses and shortcomings the guy finds his way to the post season. It cannot all be dumb luck.