Did the browns get robbed?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by RobA, Apr 28, 2007.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I think so. They gave up a first rounder next yr, plus their 2nd and 3rd rounders for the #22 overall. That is WAY too much if you ask me, even for Brady Quinn. The 2nd and 3rd would've been enough in my opinion. The cowboys got away with robbery by getting that first rounder for next yr, which will most likely be high.

2. GreyhoundJet

GreyhoundJet Active Member

I don't think they did. They got a player that many people thought should be a top 10 pick. As long as the Browns are better than the 9th pick next year I think this is an amazing trade. They are having a great draft.

3. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I agree, if they have a pick 11-30 next year they made a nice deal, they picked up a starting QB, that was debated as a possible #1 pick. He should be worth at least 2 wins over charlie frye

4. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

The way I'm looking at it, they spent a 2nd rounder to get their first rounder for 2008 a year early and getting Quinn. It was a good trade for both sides in my eyes.

5. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

6. dcrono

dcrono New Member

I think that even if the pick the Brown's pick next year is a top 10 pick, it still is a good deal for them. The reason is that despite the fact that Quinn is picked #22, his value to the Browns is equal to that of a top 10 pick. The Browns also only have to pay their franchise QB the slotted money of the #22 pick, not the tens of millions they would have to pay a franchise QB picked in the top 5.

7. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Agreed. The Browns got what you said, while the Cowboys got a free-of-charge first round selection.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

How could they have been robbed? You can't ever get a 1st round pick without including a 1st round pick. The other picks are the gravy to convince the other team to give it up to you.

9. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

If anyone got robbed today it was the Colts. 49ers RAPED them on the Ugoh trade.

10. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

clearly you weren't paying attention on saturday or on any other previous first day of the draft. of course you can get a 1st without giving up a 1st. You just have to smart about it.

San Fran fleeced Indy out of their 2008 1st. Dallas got Philly's 1st by trading a 2nd and two later picks.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Dallas gave Philly the 2nd they got from the Browns. They moved up what, like 4 picks?

In terms of draft value, next years first is worth this years second, so essentially the browns gave up 2 second round picks for Quinn.

12. JetGreen_pho'life

JetGreen_pho'life New Member

All in all I think the browns did what they felt they needed to do. What will come of it? We'll see in the next few years. IMO of course...

13. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

It all depends on two things.
    1. Cleveland's record next year
    2. Brady Quinn's comparison to the QBs coming out next year. Is he better than Brian Brohm?

14. Green_Monster

Green_Monster New Member

Yes they did get robbed glad somebody thinks the same as i did on draft day. its gonna be even more funny when that pansie Quinn is a bust :lol:

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They got robbed.

They paid the equivalent of top 5 value, probably more, for a guy that nobody believes is going to be a dominant NFL QB. Quinn's upside is where Chad is, not where Carson Palmer lives. And I don't think he's gonna be that good.

16. Green_Monster

Green_Monster New Member

Exactly, thats why the guy fell so hard on draft day, he almost wanted to cry :lol:

17. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

no, only dumb and/or desperate teams discount picks a full round. Smart teams take advantage of this.

The Browns gave up what will likely be a high 1st rounder to move up 14 spots.

Dallas moved up TEN PICKS. The 1st rounder they got from Philly was FOUR SPOTS LATER than Dallas's original pick. [They moved up 4 picks? :rolleyes: If that was the case, Philly would have done well. Philly had an awful first day] Philly got a late 3rd and a late 5th for that.

#17 Yisman, May 9, 2007
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  18. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Definitely not. Basically, Savage was totally fleeced by Jerry Jones. He caved. And then Jones still got who he wanted.

19. TheDooner64

TheDooner64 Member

I think they got robbed....they wanted Quinn with their first pick but they had to fill other needs. They jumped on the chance to get him later in the round when he fell unexpectedly, but I think they made a rash decision. They gave up too much in my opinion....but hey, at least noone can question them skipping on him in the first place. And if he turns out to be Joe Montana or something then I don't think they'll care about losing the picks next year.

20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Rumor had it that they started looking to move up into the teens to grab Quinn with the same package of picks offered. So had a team jumped at the offer in the mid to late teens, they would've made a good deal, but because Dallas at #22 was the first to accept the offer it's a bad deal?

People take the draft chart too literally. Had you asked any Cleveland fan or any fan for that matter before the draft, would you give up this year's first and 2nd rounder plus next year's first for a franchise LT and QB they would've said yes in a heartbeat.

Cleveland guaranteed themselves a good, 1st round QB. Would Brohm be around when they pick next year? Unlikely. Is Quinn better than what they would've gotten at QB had they waited a year or to the 2nd round of this draft? Yes.

We gave up a 1st and 2nd to get Revis. Cleveland did the same for Quinn. It was not a bad deal.