David Harris!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BakerMaker, Apr 28, 2007.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Traded up for him....

Gave up the 63rd pick and Not sure what else.

New England REALLY liked him and considered him at 28.

Nice pick, just hoping we consider an offensive guy soon somewhere. Harris will make sure our Run D is very good, as that is his speciality.

2. jasonjets

jasonjets Member

Well we gave up our 3rd rounder too, so I don't think we are gonna get an offensive player any time soon.

3. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Now we give up a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder(Not sure if its Carolina's)

Get a 7th rder in return.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

BIO? not sure who he is.

5. JETSimpala

JETSimpala New Member

Well looks like we trade up again.
    Though he have other needs such as a pass rusher, NT or even TE, Devin is a guy who can contribute right away and make an impact.

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

We will trade Barton and McCareins...at least I hope so...

7. jetfan51

jetfan51 New Member

no idea who he is. i would have liked the jets to trade up and get eric weddle, a versatile strong safety. not a fan of erik coleman.

8. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

Strengths:
    Has good size and a thick, solid frame...Had a great senior campaign...Tough and a hard worker...Is smart with good instincts for the game...Reads and reacts well and plays faster than he times...He excels versus the run...Reliable tackler...Has a excellent motor that never stops...Is a field general with outstanding intangibles.

Weaknesses:
    Has short arms and his body might be maxed out...Looks stiff in coverage...Timed speed is only average at best and he is not an elite athlete...Not much of a pass rusher and doesn't make a lot of impact plays...Has some durability issues...Has trouble disengaging from blockers...Struggles in space...Overall upside is limited.

Notes:
    Classic thumper in the middle who might be more of a backup or situational guy at the next level...Only started for two years in college but he saved his best for last and saw his draft stock soar in 2006...The type who isn't going to amaze you with his physical tools but he gets the job done on the field and was a big reason for the Wolverines turnaround this past season...A good, not great, "Mike" prospect

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Does he hunt wild bores with knives? I might have met this dud last year.

10. TeamJets2K6

TeamJets2K6 New Member

http://www.sportsfrog.com/2007/04/2007_nfl_draft_david_harris_il.php

The 6'2, 239 pound former Wolverine recorded 103 tackles as a 5th year senior. At the Combine, he ran a 4.59 forty time, a 4.29 short shuttle, and benched 225lbs 23 times. Harris is an above-average-to-great tackler who plays bigger than his size and possesses excellent straight-line speed. He's not shifty enough to be in the first round class of linebackers, and Harris isn't exactly a typical Tampa 2 middle man, but he's a very instinctive run stuffer who has enough athletic ability to not be a liability in zone defense against the pass.

The two knocks on Harris are his troubling medical history (a couple of knee injuries in college) and his struggles in rushing the quarterback. Harris is much more of a line of scrimmage run plugger who could probably manage the inside of 3-4 defense if he's taught how to get after the QB a little better. But he's probably a little more effective when asked to work in more open space.

Harris is about the same size, if not slightly bigger, than DeMeco Ryans - a similar type LB that came out last year and excelled with the Houston Texans his rookie season. Both are instictive players who read the play well and tackle well. As a "life-long Lions fan", Harris wouldn't be such a bad fit in Rod Marinelli's defense in Detroit.

11. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Apparently, Kiper had him going 12th in his final mock, and we got him in the mid-2nd round.

I would've prefered trading up for Blalock, Jarrett, Zach Miller or even Branch, but I'm fine with him. Good fit for the 3-4.

12. Trey Ko

Trey Ko New Member

If you had read my combine report last Feb. I mentioned how I sat next to him in the plane ride back from Indy. He was trying to convince me that Ohio State would have won the game against Florida if Ted Ginn was healthy.

I busted his balls for the entire ride. At the end of the day, I mentioned how cool a dude he was. I like the pick.

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Harris was basically the guy who flew under the radar at Michigan. He made 105 tackles while Branch, Hall, and Woodley got all the credit. He was their defensive captain and cornerstone and I'm glad to have him.

That being said I'm only overall very happy if we get more picks via Barton, Barrett, and McCairens at some point.

14. kmj6z

kmj6z New Member

what happens to barton now? hes a very satisfactory lb, it would be gross to just drop him because we drafted a lb who might be better, might

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Seems like a good pick if he can stay healthy....

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

I agree, it sounds just like Schlegel. We traded up for a guy that projects as a backup? I'll reserve final judgement, but I think this is a lousy pick.

17. JMillertime34

JMillertime34 New Member

I Love This!!!

sorry for the extra Harris post, but I LOVE this...

15(47) NY Jets (from Green Bay) David Harris ILB MICHIGAN
    He is a stout run defender who rarely gets caught out of position and delivers some big hits. Just the idea of him lining up opposite Jonathan Vilma should keep opposing ball carriers up at night.

18. plinko

plinko Absolute Ruler

not sure why this needed it's own thread.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Obviously because he loves this pick plinko. :)

20. luvdemjets1998

luvdemjets1998 New Member

he wanted the feeling of independence