Adam Schein of Sirius NFL Radio Afternoon Blitz reports Jets looking to move up

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jtuds, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

I think that's a very stereotypical and incorrect opinion if you ask me. Most corners are faster and quicker than WRs too. Are WRs just corners that aren't tough enough to tackle?

2. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Agreed. CB have a TOUGH job, having to run backwards to keep with the WR as well as get in a specific position set by the MLB.

Not to mention with all these new rules that prevent CB's from really defending. CB's get restricted big time nowadays and it leads to many of them getting burnt up.

3. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

CB is a tough job, and I agree with BradwaySux a little here. In HS, these guys played both WR and CB. However, a college decided to recruit them and put them at CB, as not many players go both ways (well at least on the football field) in college. There are probably many reasons, toughness to tackle may be one, quick reactions may be another, but I suspect hands also has a lot to do with it.

4. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

if we can make a move for that kid from pitt, id like that. i watched a few pitt games (big east football fever-catch it)....hes got the talent and the tools....id prefer D line help, but corner is a big need too....

5. CMartinJET

CMartinJET New Member

The only way I see the Jets do this is if Revis is still on the board and possible trade partner could be the Jaguars to keep him away from the bengals and the giants. I would love this move, but would also love to just stay there at 25 and take Anthony Spencer. Gotta love the whirlwind of rumors before draft day!

6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Smokescreen.

7. JetsIn2004

JetsIn2004 Banned

Helen Keller can intercept a pass from the Rutgers QB (Teel)....

8. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

All you people with Branch. I'm a big Michigan fan. Branch isn't that good.

9. Pride

Pride New Member

Are you really a michigan fan, b/c I challenge that comment

10. Carl Spacklers Grass

As a huge fan of big ten football I'd like to say that Branch will be a better pro at his position than Leon Hall will be at his. That being said, if we trade up to take EITHER of them, I'd be happy

That being said, I hope they would trade up to target Carriker or Revis

yes that sounds confusing, but thats just how I think in the week before the draft. I like every prospect that will realistically won't be there when the Jets pick...

11. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Active Member

Bingo. If you could go back in time knowing what you know now, Robertson's hindsight value doesn't even amount to a 1st day pick. A late 3rd rounder, tops.
    I like DRob and I think he has an important role with the Jets...as a role player. He's not a gamechanger nor a team leader. And we could always use 2 or 3 role players more than we can use a potential gamechanger who ends up being a role player.
    The difference between the #1 pick's success and #224's could all be a result of coaching and/or the player's commitment. Mangini seems like a coach with a philosophy that has the team headed in the right direction. If the players we draft are committed to training and practicing hard for the good of the team, wouldn't we get the same value out of two 2nd Round picks as we would from one #1?

12. baamf

baamf Active Member

That's the problem, Robertson wasn't dominant in college. One of the biggest draft mistakes in my book is going after one of these workout wonders who do well at the combine but don't have the real dominant performances on the field to back it up. DRob is a good player but IMO he will never become the player that you would expect for what we gave up....

13. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Where Does Vilma and 25 get us, considering that TB released S Quarels....?

14. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

So why make one a first round pick with the potential to be un-payable at the end of his rookie contract ?

15. jetglass

jetglass New Member

If they move up to get Olsen I, like every other Jets fan will be livid at the front office. What the heck we need a TE for, we never use him anyway. And to trade up for a one dimensional TE who didnt even put up big numbers is college would be absurd. No Bad qb excuse for him, there are other receivers and TE's in college that put up huge numbers even with a bad qb's. With that being said I would be ecstatic about moving up and landing Branch or carriker.

16. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

I've called in a few times, but the wait time can be brutal. I am Jimmy from Kentucky. I listen to all 4 of the shows throughout the day, some more than others. Most of the hosts seem to think the Jets are up and coming and really like the Mangini regime...

Usually the only time I hear JETS fans call in they will either be from Long Island or New Jersey.

17. jetglass

jetglass New Member

What is this nonsense that we are desperate for a cornerback? We have Dyson and Barret is fine when he is healthy. Do our cb's really matter at all if we cant rush the passer?

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Corners don't tackle, safties do.

19. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Trading up to get either Hall or Revis doesn't make sense considering there's enough depth in this draft that will allow us to draft decent CB's in the 2nd-3rd round range.

Trading up and losing a couple of picks just to get Branch doesn't make sense either in light that Kris Jenkins, a Pro Bowler at NT is available probably for a late 1st Rd. pick. Jenkins at 27 yrs. old is rated one of the best in his position is probably worth a late 1st or a combination of later round picks. It makes more sense to go after him and not lose the 2nd and 3rd rounder, don't you think?

Trading up to get an OL? Levi Brown could possibly slide to the teens but highly unlikely considering Arizona has a potential hard-on for the guy. Staley perhaps? But even with the fast rising Staley, losing all of the additonal picks still doesn't make sense to me considering we can strengthen more positions than RT with our current picks.

Trading up for Carriker? Hmmm, I have a feeling that come January 2008, He would not be a better player than K. Coleman at the RDE spot.

Trading up so that we can get a Rookie that would cost more towards the cap plus lose additional picks for? Just doesn't add up to me.

Trading down a couple of slots in the 1st rd. or maybe even out of moving entirely out of the initial round in return for additional 2nd and 3rd Rd. picks makes MORE sense to me.

I say SMOKE.........:)

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Well if you have ever heard Jeff in Ontario, that's me. I usually call in to the Afternoon Blitz.