Tom Rock Article- Jets Keeping Draft Plans a Mystery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KOZ, Apr 24, 2007.

1. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...apr24,0,637133.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Jets keeping draft plans a mystery
    BY TOM ROCK
    tom.rock@newsday.com

Email this story

Printer friendly format
    April 24, 2007

Listening to the Jets talk about the upcoming draft is like reading an Agatha Christie novel or watching an M. Night Shyamalan movie. You try to pick up on the clues as best you can and sort through the red herrings until finally, when it's all over, everything seems to make sense.

So when Joey Clinkscales, the Jets' director of college scouting, said, "I think in this year's draft, there's a lot of value and depth at a lot of positions such as wide receiver, corner, safety," it jumped out even though (or maybe because) many draft-watchers believe just the opposite.

And when general manager Mike Tannenbaum said he doesn't think the team has any glaring needs heading into Saturday's big show at Radio City, he may have been posturing. Or he may have briefly forgotten about the position of cornerback.

The Jets have six selections in the 2007 draft, but many more than a half-dozen decisions to make. To make those choices, they have sifted through 5,194 reports from their scouts, evaluated 1,405 draft-eligible players, determined that 998 of them are "prospects" and put 382 on their draft board. The words the Jets use to talk about the draft may be ambiguous or generalized, but the process of preparing for it is enormous and specific.

Of the Jets' offseason needs, the only one not addressed at least in part during free agency is cornerback. They re-signed Hank Poteat to a one-year deal but stayed far away from the money-pouring offers for proven stoppers such as Nate Clements and Nick Harper. The Jets are scheduled to have the 25th selection in the first round, so they could be picking after the three top cornerbacks - Pitt's Darrelle Revis, Texas' Aaron Ross and Arkansas' Chris Houston - have been taken.

The first decision the Jets make Saturday will likely be whether they will move up to try and snag one of the big names (which would seem to go Houston, Revis, then Ross in the Jets' thinking). Or, if they truly believe Clinkscales' description of draft depth at defensive back, they could trade down. With coach Eric Mangini's experience as a defensive backs coach for the Patriots, the Jets might not be as afraid to pick an athlete they can sculpt for the position.

With the 25th pick, the Jets will wait to see what happens with the first 10 to 15 selections before making up their mind.

"You can have preliminary discussions with teams, which we will, but I think those are really hypothetical in nature," Tannenbaum said. "You really don't know how it's going to unfold. I just think when those talks happen are primarily dictated by where you're sitting in the draft."

The Jets aren't limited by the value of their picks if they decide to trade up. They also have several players - wide receiver Justin McCareins, linebacker Eric Barton and possibly defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson - who could be dealt this weekend.

Of course, they could stay at 25, especially if Miami tight end Greg Olsen or Nebraska defensive end Adam Carriker is still available. Tannenbaum said the Jets' attention to defensive end during free agency - they signed Kenyon Coleman and brought in several new (and used) faces - will not preclude them from taking a defensive lineman. They also have shown interest in Notre Dame defensive end Victor Abiamiri, more than likely a second-rounder.

The Jets selected two offensive linemen in the first round last year, so it's unlikely they will go in that direction again. They'll probably have to select one or two linemen in the later rounds, however. If Central Michigan's Joe Staley or Boston College's James Marten is available when the Jets pick in the second round (59th overall), they might grab one of them.

"We want to have as much flexibility as possible to take advantage of opportunities in the draft," Tannenbaum said. "Maybe trade up, trade back, see what opportunities present themselves."

Don't worry. By Sunday night, the mysteries will be solved.

Jets' wish list

A look at some positions of need for the Jets and possible solutions:

CB: If Arkansas' Chris Houston is still available in the late teens of the first round, the Jets may trade up to select him. Otherwise, they could feel confident selecting a diamond in the rough such as Maryland's Josh Wilson or UNLV's Eric Wright.

DL: The Jets invested time and money in the position during free agency, but if Nebraska's Adam Carriker is within reach, they might take him. Or they could wait for Florida's Ray McDonald or a big body such as 320-pound tackle Louis Leonard from Fresno State.

LB: Penn State's Paul Posluszny has the type of personality the Jets look for, but he may be too small for them to take a first-round chance. If they go with a linebacker, it will likely be someone such as Nebraska defensive end Jay Moore, whom they can mold a la Bryan Thomas.

TE: Certainly not a need for the Jets with Chris Baker coming off a solid 2006, but if Miami's Greg Olsen is available at 25, it'll be awfully difficult to ignore him.

OL: With five returning starters and two first-rounders from the 2006 draft, the Jets are unlikely to address this position until late in Day 1. By then, they could be looking at Boston College's James Marten or UAB's Julius Wilson. - TOM ROCK

2. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Funny that we're all pushing OG and Rock doesn't see it as a need until late in Day 1. Also, why make a push for Olsen if he's available at 25, seeing as all of his critics label the guy as a one dimensional TE and not on par with Winslow or Shockey?

#2 KOZ, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  3. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

It's probably a smoke screen, but Houston, Revis and then Ross? I like Houston as well, but I've never seen him ranked as the tob CB. I guess they love his athleticism and aggressiveness, and feel that they can coach him to eliminate the penalties.

4. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I think -- at least I hope -- that this is just an effective Tannebaum smokescreen and that they will continue to build this O-line with the selection of Mr. Blaylock.

5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

The comparison with Olsen to Shockey and Winslow is retarded...

Winslow and Shockey were both top 10 picks and both were much better prospects...

Just because Olsen isn't on that level, doesn't mean he isn't worth drafting at 25.

6. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

First of all, are you always such a d.ck when calling someone out?

All I'm saying is that at 25 I'd expect the TE to be something more than one dimensional, ala Heath Miller, who was regarded as a better blocker and who has proven to be a great downfield threat.

Wasting a 1st round pick on a TE who can only do half of the job is "retarded." Would you go to an oral surgeon who can administer novacaine like no other, yet when it comes to drilling out a cavity he's got the worst hands in the business? I think not.

7. baamf

baamf Active Member

I personally don't like Houston at all. We already have Miller to provide us bad technique and so/so run support. Obviously the FO knows better than I so I would support the guy if they take him, but I'd really be nervous about his bust factor....

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Ditto.

I'd hate to spend another high pick for a guy at CB whose primary asset is his speed when we just did that two seasons ago.

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Did anyone catch the blurb that D-Rob could be used to trade up? First I've heard of that one as well. You wonder where the writers come up with this material half the time.

10. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Since they don't know much of what the team is doing, no one will notice much if they make up stuff like that.

11. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I agree, hasn't mangini taken later round DBs and made them into starters in the past? I don't see him using a first round pick on a corner.

12. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I noticed that too, hasn't there been previous articles this off season stating how the jets staff was high on D-Rob after the end of last season?

13. Br4d

In this case it was Tannebaum saying he didn't expect D-Rob to go anywhere. That's what GM's say when they are sending out trial balloons.

14. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

That's all I recall hearing too, that the 2nd half of the season he really turned things around. Whatever happens, this Saturday will prove to be quite interesting.

15. Br4d

Assuming you want to trade somebody you better talk them up pretty good beforehand because if you are casting them in a negative light they are going to be less valuable in a trade.

16. Crimson Cane

Crimson Cane New Member

Has Leon Hall fallen so far? At 25, I love a guy who is dropping inexplicably; give Mangini the players; he'll make them run laps to get their 40 times up.

1. Jarvis Moss
    2. Dwayne Jarrett
    3. Leon Hall

17. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Agreed. With the right PR and proper spinning, a lump of smelly, week old dog crap can be made into the next big thing, where everyone is rushing out to the stores to get it.

18. Quack

Quack New Member

Wait - So you're telling me that I can get a lump of smelly, week old dog crap RIGHT NOW? Tell me what store it is, be quick about it I need to get my hands on it!

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The guy writing this article is brilliant. He says the Jets could move up, move down or draft at #25. He says we could take a CB, DL, OL, TE or LB.

They actually PAY people to be so smart? I need a new job.

20. KSJets

KSJets New Member

They're job isn't easy considering the team isn't really revealing anything. Would you prefer he had it like the Chiefs' beat writers? Those reporters know that LJ is being shopped and that the Chiefs were telling people they were interviewing that they would be selecting a RB high. I don't know about you, but I prefer the secrecy our FO is displaying.